Criticism of Ranger Pat Tillman

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Shallow Grave
Ranger

Criticism of Ranger Pat Tillman

Post by Shallow Grave »

This is an editorial from the Student Newspaper at the University of Kentucky.

Tillman Shouldn’t Have Shunned Spotlight

By Edward Guest
Kernel Columnist

In the days and hours since the Pentagon first released his name, virtually every reputable news affiliate has mentioned and mourned the loss of Army Ranger Pat Tillman, otherwise known as a former NFL player who left the gridiron for the battlefield. What more needs to be said? The entire case seems rather self-explanatory in nature, even if it reads like a Hollywood script.

The man’s reaction to 9/11 was so visceral and so jarring that he felt compelled to leave behind his friends, family and his wife to take up arms for the United States of America. When we speak of heroes, we speak of those that are willing to make a great sacrifice — and perhaps just as important — shy away from any publicity or notoriety or glory; we speak then of Pat Tillman.

However, I will not say that Tillman displayed great courage or selflessness in doing as he did, because I do not believe he would want us to say that. Somewhere along the line, perhaps while watching the horrors live on that fateful Tuesday morning, in his mind, the line between courage and duty blurred so as to become indistinguishable. And in the end, only duty remained. Tillman believed he had an obligation. And truth be told, this is not an obligation many of us ever can know or understand.

It takes a particular mindset to not only possess but also embrace that particular disposition, and decide on a course fraught with danger and perhaps eventual despair — which is what the Arizona Cardinal did. In some interviews done just days after 9/11, one can see how Tillman was visibly affected by the tragedy, discussing how he honored those that had given their lives in wars previous — a foreshadowing, one might call it.

Pat Tillman was the only noted professional athlete in any of the major sports to volunteer his services to the U.S. Military; unlike Vietnam, WWII and WWI, which saw a great offensive tackle, a Heisman Trophy winner and America’s first great hockey star perish in the nastiness of war. Yet, if we as a society are so quick to lament on the current status of American sports figures, deriding them for their selfishness, arrogance and egomaniacal tendencies, wondering where all the “heroesâ€
C Co. 3/75 Ranger Regiment
Nov. 2005-present
Ranger School Class 04-08

Adapt and Overcome. Don't whine, just do it. Don't complain, just do it. Don't put on a suck face and want sympathy. Man the fuck up. - Ranger Disinfertention
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

He's made some valid points amongst his drivel, But the primary mistake in his writing is if a deceased person would wish to change the past. That's the most stupid proposition I've heard in a long time.

BTW - we don't need your prodding to tell us who to write and who not to write. Just post the email address and if we want to write we will.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I think he did a thoughtful article on a touchy subject. Perhaps if Ranger Tillman HAD been more vocal, more atheletes might have come forward to serve the country that has been so good to them....but it would have diminished HIS contribution. A "Call to Arms" from Ranger Tillman or the President should not be necessary. Everyone knows what our country is up against, or they should know. Those that have what it takes are takeing up arms even as we speek. Every day, more volunteers step forward, and that's as it should be. Leave the shit bags at home and leave the fighting to the REAL MEN.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I couldn't finish it...I think the guy is a pussy fucking faggot......

Tillman believed he had an obligation. And truth be told, this is not an obligation many of us ever can know or understand.
Uh, except to every veteran that's served so this dumbass can monday night quarterback.

Please explain how it is that Bush isn't leading? How it's Bush's fault that he hasn't called on America....he has called, but the sad fact is that someone like Pat Tillman, a true hero, is the exception, not the rule in our society. We have become a society of fat, lazy whiners. Veterans such as ourselves are despised.

"I would have joined, but President Bush didn't ask me........and since I lack iniative, it's his fault." :roll: Fucking liberal POS.

Reverend, a sermon here????
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember the CIC speaking publicly about the need for every citizen to serve our country in some capacity. I also seem to remember his taking a few heat rounds from the lazy asses of our society for insinuating that they help out in some way.

Just another example of the liberal pussies wanting their cake and eating it to. But is PISSES ME THE FUCK OFF that this blowhard is using Tillman's death to get his punches in where he can - i.e "Bush should have asked us to do more".

Bullshit.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

People have tried to tell me he was just another soilder. NO . He was a man who gave up his $3.6million carrer so he could serve his country. When I went to MEPS there was another guy with me in his 40s and was prior service. He was joining the reserve and going back into the infantry. This guy pulled up to the recruiting station in a big ass brand spankin new benz, and had his lap top and such, but is still going to make that sacrafice so we can have our freedoms. Pat Tillman is a hero just like all men and women in the service but it makes it so amazing that he left his NFL carrer to serve that is just another reason he is a hero.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

blacksrt4 wrote:People have tried to tell me he was just another soilder. NO . He was a man who gave up his $3.6million carrer so he could serve his country. When I went to MEPS there was another guy with me in his 40s and was prior service. He was joining the reserve and going back into the infantry. This guy pulled up to the recruiting station in a big ass brand spankin new benz, and had his lap top and such, but is still going to make that sacrafice so we can have our freedoms. Pat Tillman is a hero just like all men and women in the service but it makes it so amazing that he left his NFL carrer to serve that is just another reason he is a hero.
Blackskirt-

I appreciate your POV, but don't let looks deceive you. You'll see plenty of Benz's in the ghetto. You'll also see plenty of new cars, big boats, fancy houses, and whatnot in a lot of nice neighborhoods...and a lot of those people are 30 days away from bankruptcy. The ability to get into debt doesn't take a lot of brains.

On the flipside, I know a lot of folks that drive older cars, and don't live in the nicest neighborhoods, but hey, ALL their shit is paid for. Capice?
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

Rodger that Ranger Bad Muther.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

We can not argue with every Sam dick and Harry that comes down the pipe with his own inane drivel that I just won't waste my time of effort reading his shit. I will not respond either. I prefer to let his writing fall to the ground as time passes. No one will remember this asshole and his writing but people will always remember the sacrifice that Ranger Pat Tillman, his brother Kevin and their family have made. Remember this is a search for a known terrorist that needs to either die or be caught. Osama Bin Laden. People will always remember Pat Tillman not the shithead writer. I didn't even bother to read the story. My info is from you guys. What asshole posted that shit here? Did he type out his flyer? or did he post a article from another site without a link? or giving credit where credit is due? Isn't there an article about posting items from other sites? Is this post a direct violation of rules?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

When we speak of heroes, we speak of those that are willing to make a great sacrifice — and perhaps just as important — shy away from any publicity or notoriety or glory; we speak then of Pat Tillman.
Okay, I agree with that.

Where the article loses me is the sense that we need our President to leave us voicemail to convince us that we need to sign up and serve...that shoud be self evident.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987

Return to “The Mosh Pit”