Ankle injury

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
rangercamaro
Ranger

Ankle injury

Post by rangercamaro »

I have had my ankle xrayed and checked 3 times(neg results) but i keep having pain in it when i run or rollerblade. It hurts on the inside below the ball to the front edge. My question is how do i strengthen this area or what braces can i use to minimize the effects(lace ups/neoprenes)? Also, the pain alternates with shinsplints, is this important?
Bco 1/75 2nd plt Wpn Sqd 89-93
HHC 1/75 Bn Armorer 93-94 (after cookoff)
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I hurt my ankle in battalion and I was diagnosed with chronic instabillity ( of the ankle not my mental functions). It recovered pretty well and I didn't have any trouble for about 15 years. I now get like a muscle spasm in the arch that radiates up into the ankle tissue. I remember the ankle strengthing exercises used sergical tubing as resistance, but I don't recall the exercises exactly.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Neutron
Tadpole

Post by Neutron »

Ranger Camaro,

I broke my ankle last year during the basketball season. You probably got a bad sprain (sprains are usually worse than breaks) and tore some ligiments. If rolling your ankle is a problem, get a Level 3 brace. If your intention is to just keep some pain away, I'd say get a Level 2 brace, the lace up ones with plastic in the side go for about 20 bucks on www.eastbay.com and thats what I use whenever I play ball now.

As for strengthening it, if you have a local physical therapist, go there and ask them to cut some of their power bands for you. It's like a stretchy ribbon, that you'll do various excersizes with, to increase your power and your range of motion. I can explain some of the power band excersizes if you get one, just PM me.

BTW - they have different resistance levels depending on what kind of strengthening you're doing, I'd recomend getting a red one to start with, then working from blue to black.
"Just know who you ARE and drive the fuck on!" - Ranger Steadfast

Life is nothing more than a ladder, climb it better, higher, faster.

Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Never quit, and permanently destroy the little part of your mind that says...."I can't." - Ranger BadMuther
rangercamaro
Ranger

Post by rangercamaro »

Thanks guys. I have the bands...all 3. Been doing the exercises for 3 months and no help. The stength is there its just still painful.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Ankle injury

Post by Steadfast »

rangercamaro wrote:I have had my ankle xrayed and checked 3 times(neg results) but i keep having pain in it when i run or rollerblade. It hurts on the inside below the ball to the front edge. My question is how do i strengthen this area or what braces can i use to minimize the effects(lace ups/neoprenes)? Also, the pain alternates with shinsplints, is this important?
I would think that when you rollerblade you aggravate the injury. Give up rollerblading. I am sure Doc will give you an excellent exercise program to strengthen your ankle.

Forgive me for cutting in here Doc.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rangercamaro
Ranger

Post by rangercamaro »

Doc wrote:RangerCamero,

Let me do some research and post something more appropriate on Monday, okay?

Check Six,
Doc
Anything you can find will be appreciated Doc! It's good to have a squared away Mofo like you helping us out!!! Thanks in advance!!
rangercamaro
Ranger

Post by rangercamaro »

Thanks Doc. I will schedule with my Ortho doctor here in town. We are on first name basis because i did his daughter in HS!!! He still likes me though!! :lol:

I'll let ya know the outcome!!
rangercamaro
Ranger

Post by rangercamaro »

Doc your are the shit!!! :D

Went to see my ortho today as a walkin and he gave me an MRI. Well, you were right, it was the ligament in that area. It has been enflamed and stretched somehow. He set me up with an rehab regimen and said I should be ok in a couple weeks. (After all he's not a shrink!!) Thanks Bro!!

Return to “Medical Issues”