Heart murmur...

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Raziel
Embryo

Post by Raziel »

Sorry, I went back and put Ranger in where it belongs.

Ranger Fish, I AM going to tell them. I'm going to send an email to the AROTC unit I plan on joining next year when I transfer schools. Only recruiter I've talked about it with is the Marine recruiter that called the other day for me. He just said that I could talk to them if I still wanted to enlist, and they'd have somebody check me out and see if I was good to go. But I'm not enlisting so he said he'd just let me know if he heard any more about heart murmur's.
jlane
Embryo

heart murmur at meps

Post by jlane »

I went down to meps in jan with a heart murmur that I have had since birth it has never bothered me or gotten any bigger the doc checked my heart out with the stethiscope (sp) and didnt say a thing about it anyways I also got the 11x opt 40 ( couldnt ship due to my motorcycle accident ) I wanted is there any way I could have been busted for this once i ship out??
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Not if you shut the fuck up about it. :D
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

....and besides, death aint all it's cracked up to be.
Had a boy in 1st Batt did the same shit as you, lied about his condition, wasnt picked up by the Doc's coming in (Big Surprize) and he made it to Batt. We had this 25 mile road march after a DA Readiness Exercize which in itself was a red eyed mother fucker. So this road march is moving out, about mile 8 and it is smoking the shit out of us, but we were driving on, no drop outs...it's raining, the road sand and dirt is now a slippery mud...ahhh, it was fucking nasty. But then this guy who had the heart murmer has a major convulsion because of his condition...laying on his back WITH a ruck, he convulses so hard he does a flip...literally.
We appreciated him doing the convulsions and having the heart attack because they called a 5 minute break...it was entertaining as well. So, go ahead young warrior...Im sure there are soldiers who need a break when you spaz out.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Man_of_Ice
Egg

Post by Man_of_Ice »

I've read through several threads on this subject so far. Here, here and this thread.
Here's my situation: I was born with pulmonary stenosis, a heart murmur. The murmur has been classified as very mild my entire life. I have been given full clearance to play sports my whole life, and did. I wrestled, played soccer, and ran the 400 dash through high school, and have remained active. I have pushed my body until I vomited, yet I cannot compare this to the intensity of Ranger Operations and training. I have never found myself limited by my heart, lightheaded, winded, or felt any signs of distress. I have always been limited by conditioning (puke after 0:58 400m, 16:08 2 mile), not my heart. I have passed the AFPT. All that may be splitting hairs though.
I disclosed the murmur when I met my recruiter, and to doctors at MEPS. After a long appeal, I recieved a waiver.

As Ranger Doc Cook suggested, I asked myself three questions:
#1- Is your condition going to hinder you from completing Ranger Operations?
#2- Is this condition going to endanger your future comrades from completeing the mission?
#3- If the above answers are no, have you sought a medical waiver for strenuous activity/military service?
To the best of my knowledge, the answers to 1&2 are no. An Army doctor has declared me ok to serve in the Army, but I don't know if there's a more stringent requirement for Ranger School.

What it boils down to whether there is potential to jeopardize the lives of my men or not.

Question: Does my waiver into the Army qualify me for Ranger School, or will I have to pursue a further waiver?
Question: What are your thoughts as to whether or not I should further pursue entry into Ranger School?

Return to “Medical Issues”