WTC Pre-Ranger - AWESOME

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Sica
Embryo

WTC Pre-Ranger - AWESOME

Post by Sica »

To anybody on the fence about whether to attend the WTC Pre-Ranger - GO! Awesome training, I feel like I've got the 'answers to the test.' Motivated instructors get you in the mindset for Darby. I have no doubt that I will complete Ranger School, recycle or not. Months ago, I was filled with uncertainty. It is just a matter of will.

Some notes I scribbled down as 'lessons learned;'

-memorize the creed, sentence by sentence. Don't F your buddies at chowtime!
-have a good terrain model kit to RS standard; most Ranger neglected this
-TRPs need to include GL, TF, and even pref. PLOT-CR
-bring very small pocket knife on 550 on belt loop for MREs, big knives not used
-cut down and laminate your map, put an index card on the back before you seal it up. Map cases are bulky and leak.
-assign equipment to the duty position, not an individual. Mark ea. piece (NOD, wpns.) with 100mph tape and duty pos.; i.e. "SL" or "AG," so you can just grab it and go after change of command
-number the OPORD pages before you give it to the SL; he will get confused and botch the brief
-packing list - better to ask for forgiveness that permission! I left a lot of good kit in my car b/c I packed 'to the letter.' Just bring it, and if it's a no-go, it goes in your contraband bag. No big deal.
-have a laminated status card for Patrol Base, to include security plan, sector sketch, etc.. you can get this at RJ's
-buy everything else at Commando's - free drinks, great service, better prices/selection
-load your ruck w/ heavy on top, stamp down the crossmember, tape up for LBE meathooks
-buy Chigg-A-Away - everybody has DEET, but everybody will get chiggers
-if you get ivy, get the shot. works.

Bottom line, for all the speculation and all the hand-wringing, you just go here to be a good field soldier, and you'll do well. I was just being myself and I got an 83 on peers. I mostly stayed quiet until I could really help out, and I kept smiling. And I gave away chow/humped extra gear in the field. Just be a team player. If you're always first in line for chow/bus, that's noticed.

I am an officer (O2, 8 yrs. in Guard) and some twit remarked on the course critique that he didn't like how officers were targetted for verbal harassment.

Well, dude, get used to it. Because you're an officer, you've been afforded plenty of privilege and you have an enormous responsibility. If you can't overcome some light-hearted insults and impress your peers (E3 & up) with your fieldcraft and tactical ability, then you probably shouldn't be leading troops. I took it as a challenge.

Sleep: if you're not cheating, you're not trying. Work as a buddy team. Goes for everything else, too.

Pushups: do them one by one, chest to the ground. That's the standard.

Feet: Soak in mineral spirits to toughen the skin. Get orthotics. Get the Belleville 390TRP s as one of your jungle boots, get OD/blk SOGs or Wellcos as the other.

Food: Pre-Ranger gorges you.

And SSG Moore is a trip. He's probably on this board somewhere. That's all I'm going to say.

OK I have to go refit, good luck to everyone going Monday morning.

-Sica
m-14.762
US Army Veteran

Post by m-14.762 »

thanks for the tips is this the NG pre Ranger?
Silverback
Ranger

Re: WTC Pre-Ranger - AWESOME

Post by Silverback »

Sica wrote:To anybody on the fence about whether to attend the WTC Pre-Ranger - GO! Awesome training, I feel like I've got the 'answers to the test.' Motivated instructors get you in the mindset for Darby. I have no doubt that I will complete Ranger School, recycle or not. Months ago, I was filled with uncertainty. It is just a matter of will.

-bring very small pocket knife on 550 on belt loop for MREs, big knives not used
-cut down and laminate your map, put an index card on the back before you seal it up. Map cases are bulky and leak.
-assign equipment to the duty position, not an individual. Mark ea. piece (NOD, wpns.) with 100mph tape and duty pos.; i.e. "SL" or "AG," so you can just grab it and go after change of command
-number the OPORD pages before you give it to the SL; he will get confused and botch the brief
-packing list - better to ask for forgiveness that permission! I left a lot of good kit in my car b/c I packed 'to the letter.' Just bring it, and if it's a no-go, it goes in your contraband bag. No big deal.
-have a laminated status card for Patrol Base, to include security plan, sector sketch, etc.. you can get this at RJ's
-buy everything else at Commando's - free drinks, great service, better prices/selection
-load your ruck w/ heavy on top, stamp down the crossmember, tape up for LBE meathooks

Bottom line, for all the speculation and all the hand-wringing, you just go here to be a good field soldier, and you'll do well. I was just being myself and I got an 83 on peers. I mostly stayed quiet until I could really help out, and I kept smiling. And I gave away chow/humped extra gear in the field. Just be a team player. If you're always first in line for chow/bus, that's noticed.

I am an officer (O2, 8 yrs. in Guard) and some twit remarked on the course critique that he didn't like how officers were targetted for verbal harassment.

Well, dude, get used to it. Because you're an officer, you've been afforded plenty of privilege and you have an enormous responsibility. If you can't overcome some light-hearted insults and impress your peers (E3 & up) with your fieldcraft and tactical ability, then you probably shouldn't be leading troops. I took it as a challenge.

Sleep: if you're not cheating, you're not trying. Work as a buddy team. Goes for everything else, too.

Feet: Soak in mineral spirits to toughen the skin. Get orthotics. Get the Belleville 390TRP s as one of your jungle boots, get OD/blk SOGs or Wellcos as the other.

And SSG Moore is a trip. He's probably on this board somewhere. That's all I'm going to say.

-Sica
Gobble Gobble MMMrmph...I can't get it all in my mouth...gag
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Silverback wrote:
Sica wrote:To anybody on the fence about whether to attend the WTC Pre-Ranger - GO! Awesome training, I feel like I've got the 'answers to the test.' Motivated instructors get you in the mindset for Darby. I have no doubt that I will complete Ranger School, recycle or not. Months ago, I was filled with uncertainty. It is just a matter of will.

-Sica
Gobble Gobble MMMrmph...I can't get it all in my mouth...gag
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Sure he can - he's just got to get all them words out of the way first.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Sica
Embryo

Post by Sica »

Graduated last Friday, class 10-06, did Florida 2x, chalk that one up to losing a confirmed case of the "retarded-ass" on the first go-around. We lucked out and got a 2-wk recycle in FL, got fat. We were put into an all-recycle PLT and had no patrol failures.

The new BDE CDR is popular among the RIs, there is an expectation that the course will become 'hard' again. What I noticed the second time around was longer movements and an 8-mile road march back into Camp Rudder, could have just been a coincidence though.

Thanks for the help in preparing, I'll post some useful stuff once I get things together.

And oh yeah - those Belleville 390TRPs and the Wellco soff-soles I bought both self-destructed in the swamps. My green Wellco jungles were the lone survivors.
Infantry44
Ranger

Post by Infantry44 »

Eh, I heard WTC PRC got soft after KH left. I bumped into him @ the PX in Kuwait and nearly shit my pants with fear as the flashbacks came rushing on in...
#06-06
OIF 06-08 (PL, 10th MTN)
OIF VII / OND (XO, 5th GRP)
JORSOF EV11 (TL, 5th GRP)
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Sica wrote:And SSG Moore is a trip. He's probably on this board somewhere. That's all I'm going to say.
SSG Moore is a pussy that couldn't lead his way out of a paper bag much less Darby! :roll:

Can't play a set of drums either!!! :shock:
Sica wrote:Graduated last Friday, class 10-06
Congrats on the Tab, Fla is always better the 2nd time around! :D

Now go get the avatar you didn't get in the beginning, it's SOP.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Sica wrote:Graduated last Friday, class 10-06, did Florida 2x, chalk that one up to losing a confirmed case of the "retarded-ass" on the first go-around. We lucked out and got a 2-wk recycle in FL, got fat. We were put into an all-recycle PLT and had no patrol failures.

The new BDE CDR is popular among the RIs, there is an expectation that the course will become 'hard' again. What I noticed the second time around was longer movements and an 8-mile road march back into Camp Rudder, could have just been a coincidence though.

Thanks for the help in preparing, I'll post some useful stuff once I get things together.

And oh yeah - those Belleville 390TRPs and the Wellco soff-soles I bought both self-destructed in the swamps. My green Wellco jungles were the lone survivors.
Guess since the course is getting hard they'll have to make the Florida RIs stop blowing the students!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
BrianT
Inprocessing

Post by BrianT »

If you ever go there and notice all that pretty mulch spread out all over the PT field or whatever the hell it is, you can thank me.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

BrianT wrote:If you ever go there and notice all that pretty mulch spread out all over the PT field or whatever the hell it is, you can thank me.
Thanks cherry!
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

RRDTm3 wrote:
BrianT wrote:If you ever go there and notice all that pretty mulch spread out all over the PT field or whatever the hell it is, you can thank me.
Thanks cherry!
Silverback wrote:Guess since the course is getting hard they'll have to make the WTC Pre-Ranger instructors stop blowing the students!
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”