Wishlist

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
Mika
US Army Reservist

Wishlist

Post by Mika »

Hello Rangers, Im graduating Airborne tomorrow, im a 13 F, signed up for RIP, im trying to find out if my MOS affects which Battalion i get sent out to after I graduate. Im guessing everyone would want to go to Ft Lewis, I love to go up there, being closer to California, and having friends and some relatives, and living in a nice post sounds awesome.
When I came back into regular army after a year break after basic(split-op) I had to do reception all over, I remember reading off the choices for your wishlist(which of course is never guaranteed) and Ft Lewis was just about the only choice on the west coast for artillery members.

Now I understand that in the Regiment your job is done different than how the rest of the Army does it. Do I even get to request where I get stationed during RIP? thanks.
Mika
US Army Reservist

Post by Mika »

correction- Will I get a piece of paper asking where I wish to be stationed
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Kinda counting your chickens a bit early aren't ya?

You do get a wishlist of 3 choices, which doesn't mean a whole lot. You'll go where the Regiment needs you.

Good work searching for this previously posted answer...
RTO
BANNED

Re: Wishlist

Post by RTO »

Mika wrote:Hello Rangers, Im graduating Airborne tomorrow, im a 13 F, signed up for RIP, im trying to find out if my MOS affects which Battalion i get sent out to after I graduate. Im guessing everyone would want to go to Ft Lewis, I love to go up there, being closer to California, and having friends and some relatives, and living in a nice post sounds awesome.
When I came back into regular army after a year break after basic(split-op) I had to do reception all over, I remember reading off the choices for your wishlist(which of course is never guaranteed) and Ft Lewis was just about the only choice on the west coast for artillery members.

Now I understand that in the Regiment your job is done different than how the rest of the Army does it. Do I even get to request where I get stationed during RIP? thanks.

You are correct. Unfortunately for some the standards are quite a bit higher to get into 2/75 and most end up settling for one of the lesser battalions.
JohnDowland
Ranger

Re: Wishlist

Post by JohnDowland »

Mika wrote:Hello Rangers, Im graduating Airborne tomorrow, im a 13 F, signed up for RIP, im trying to find out if my MOS affects which Battalion i get sent out to after I graduate. Im guessing everyone would want to go to Ft Lewis, I love to go up there, being closer to California, and having friends and some relatives, and living in a nice post sounds awesome.

Mika,

I was a 13F who wanted to go to 2nd Batt after RIP for many of the same reasons, obviously that didn't happen. If I remember right, we had no "wish list" option. They stood us all in platoon formation and said, "we've got so many slots for 1st, who wants to go?", and then a gaggle of men ran up to the line; when the number was filled, the rest were sent back to formation. The same thing happened for 2nd Batt, and all the left overs went to 3rd!!! All that to say, be hopeful, but realize that your first motive should be to serve the Regiment, in whatever Battalion you may be assigned, only after that should come these considerations. Heck, most of the time you won't even be in garrison - you'll be deployed or in the field!

Since I'm considering the chaplaincy, I might as well add this - make your plans, set your sights, but don't be surprised when God's providence causes things to turn out other than you had planned them. I was on tip toes at the head of that formation waiting for them to call out for 2nd Batt, and right as they did, some NCO (I don't even recall who he was) grabbed me and said, "hey Ranger, give me a hand with this..." The last thing that I was about to do, straight out of RIP, was to say, "Umm, excuse me Sargeant, but could you hold that thought - I really have to do this first." :shock: So I lost my slot because I had enough respect for my NCO's in Battalion (along with a healthy dose of pure fear), that when called upon to sacrifice for a petty detail I was there; make that your mindset.

After all, 3rd Batt has some advantages over 2nd - those guys always had a serious case of suck *ss when they came down to run in the fun Georgia sun! 8)

Keep driving on, you still have a serious gut check ahead of you.

Proverbs 16:9 states, "A man's heart plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps."

God Bless.
3/75 '93-'95
Operation Uphold Democracy '94
OIF '10
OEF '10/'11
USASOC Chaplain

"Let not him who girds on his armor boast as he who takes it off!" - Ahab, king of Israel
JMar
Ranger

Post by JMar »

It still works pretty much as Ranger JohnDowland said. In our class, they asked for all the 13F's to stand up. Both of them did. They said 3/75 and 2/75 each needed a 13F and let them decided between themselves who would go where.

There won't be many other 13F's in RIP with you, if any. Where you go depends on which Battalion has an F.O. ETS-ing that month.

"Praise no the day until evening has come; a woman until she is burnt; a sword until it is tried; a maiden until she is married; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk."
-Viking Proverb

1PLT, A Co., 3/75 "Glory Boys" 2006-2012
RW Aviator 2012-Present
RS Class 06-08

Return to “About RASP”