Hello

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Caleb
Embryo

Post by Caleb »

Jim wrote:Not a bad introduction. Assuming that you really want to become a Ranger, you came to the right site. Please give us a brief discussion on why you think you want to become a Ranger and how you are preparing yourself to succeed -- and post it here before Sunday, 8 October 2006. Thank you.
As mentioned above I've been just kind of floating by, I have taken a few college courses but it isn't really for me. I am on my 3rd job since graduation from high school so they last me about a year each. Recently I've recognized that I'm not happy with the fact that what I do isn't satisfying enough, I have been told by many people I'm a very intelligent person and can succeed wherever I may go and that may be true but it may not be where I want to go. If you have seen the movie 'Good Will Hunting' remember when Matt Damon and Ben Affleck begin working construction/demolition together after Matt Damon turns down the job offer of being a code cracker for the government, Affleck jumps his ass that he has passed up the biggest opportunity that may ever come into his life. Damon's reply is that what they are doing is honorable, they build homes and give people a place to live that is an honorable trade. According to him sitting behind a desk doing mathematics and crunching numbers all day is not, however important it may be.
I can identify with that, my jobs I have had were not highly specialized or difficult for someone to get into but you did need a certain set of skills that happened to come naturally to me and did not challenge me. So I would move on to another job in hopes of being happy, and I would be for a while until you get into the seedy underbelly of every business and expose the liars and cutthroats that are your supposed friends. In the despair of the situation I would again look for another job, until this time it kind of hit me that it isn't so much that I'm unhappy with the company I work for but the work I'm doing. Going back to the 'Good Will Hunting' excerpt, I don't find what I do to be an honorable job ( not to say it is dishonorable ).
I have always looked up to and admired those who have served in the military, I can not name one profession in the world that I would think more highly of than that. Can you? So I began considering enlistment on a more serious level, after consulting with friends whom have served time in the various branches I have decided that it is the right thing for me to do. If I'm going to do it I'm going to be the best that I can, and that is a bit cliche but who doesn't feel that way about it? If you don't you're wasting your time, why settle for being second rate you? The Rangers in my eyes and from what I have heard is where I need to be at, I'm not another one of those they're better than whoever people. I just feel that the best that I can be is serving my country as one of the most elite soldiers they have to offer, if I am not trying to be the best I am not trying hard enough and in a dangerous profession such as the military I'm resolving myself to injury or death already. If you can see through the mild ramble maybe you can pick up on the truth of my words and the heart that I have put behind them.
Proverbs 12:1
Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction is stupid.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Welcome. Read the FAQ's and site rules. Address Rangers properly when speaking to them.
Thank you for wanting to serve our great nation.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Caleb,
It appears that your heart is in the right place. However, you have taken a difficult pathway. Please check all the FAQs, stickies, and selected threads. One thing I do feel safe in telling you is that if you do have the opportunity to serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment, it will be the most meaningful time of your young life. Make your own luck -- never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Welcome
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Return to “Introduction Archive”