Teaching kids about veterans

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

reluctant civilian
Tadpole

Teaching kids about veterans

Post by reluctant civilian »

Earlier today I had the priviledge of going to a VA picnic that is held every month by the American Legion Auxillary in the area. I had my daughter, my niece, and my nephew with me. On the way there I was telling the kids where we were going. My six year old niece asked me what a Veteran was. I didn't think she was really serious, so I simply told her that a Veteran was someone who had served in the military. She then asked me what the military was. Now, this is a child with a strong family connection to the military. Both my parents are retired from the military, her other aunt and uncle both were Airforce, I was Army and my husband is still serving. After talking to her for a few minutes I realized that she really didn't know what a Veteran is. I was pissed. I couldn't believe that my sister and brother-in-law hadn't taught her anything about patriotism and service. I know she is old enough to understand, because my 4 year old does.

Do you think we teach our youth enough about Veterans and the amazing men and women who have served our country?
I hate the thought of a new generation growing up without that respect.

Does anyone have any opinions on what we can do within our communities. This had really bothered me alot today.
Last edited by reluctant civilian on August 18th, 2006, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
U.S. Army 1993-1998
U.S. Army Reserve 2000- 2002
Married my Ranger in 1996.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

If you are going to teach them about it, then make sure you spell it properly.

VETERAN
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I teach my little Hooah, that all veteran's, are real life Super Hero's.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

My oldest boy just started Kindergarten and my wife and I are on the PTA. We're presenting the program on this website to see how it can be incorporated at the elementary and middle school level. There's another program ( I forget the name) that works with schools to have Veterans come in and share stories and experience with schools.

Vets in schools

I agree with OG though. My boy was saluting the flag when he was 3 and knows the words to "Grand Old Flag" by heart. :D

reluctant civilian
Tadpole

Ranger Matador275

A very stupid spelling error on my part. I think I rely on spell check way to much. :oops:
U.S. Army 1993-1998

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
reluctant civilian
Tadpole

Ranger Invictus - Thank you for the link, I think presenting it to the school system is a great idea. I would be interested in hearing if it was able to be incorporated at the elementary level.
U.S. Army 1993-1998

Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Ranger Invictus that is one cute kid. I'm sure it is priceless to hear him sing "Grand Old Flag."
Thanks, this pic is a couple years old, and we've been working on the proper way to render a hand salute... :D
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

reluctant civilian wrote: After talking to her for a few minutes I realized that she really didn't know what a Veteren is. I was pissed. I couldn't believe that my sister and brother-in-law hadn't taught her anything about patriotism and service. I know she is old enough to understand, because my 4 year old does.
Don't feel bad. At least six year-olds have an excuse.

So keen is the competition for these outdoors careers, that in order to get a job as a California State Park ranger, a master's degree is now pretty much required of new applicants.

We pulled into the Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park two years ago, me and a fishing buddy my father's age who was a B-17 crewman during WWII. He was shot down over Berlin in 1943 and spent the rest of the war as a POW. He has a California State Parks free pass sticker on his windshield, a state perk for being a former POW.

The park ranger at the gate that day was a young female, about 24, probably fresh from graduate school at Berkeley or Cal State Humboldt.

"Two?" she said, peering into Len's pickup truck, "That'll be $10 for a day pass for two and $8 for the boat launching fee."

"There's a POW pass on the windshield right there on the corner," I told her, pointing at the decal.

Len sat behind the wheel and said nothing.

The young woman scrutinized the decal and pronounced that she'd never seen one before. "What is that?" she asked.

"It's a free pass decal," I said.

I know it's a decal!" she spat back. Why do you have a free parks pass," she continued.

"I'm a former POW," Len interjected, "The state gives free parks passes to former POW's."

"A POW?" she said, "And just what is a POW?"

That was the straw. It wasn't just the smarmy attitude she'd copped, it was the gross insult to Len. The little bitch knew very well what a POW was, but like so many of her contemporaries on or fresh from Northern California campuses, she'd been taught to revile anything associated with the US military, and to condescend to those tainted with such experiences. What she was really saying to us was, "I don't give a fuck if you were a POW; I don't think they should give you a free park pass because of it."

"You couldn't possibly be that fucking stupid!" I yelled, using all the tact of a drill sergeant jumping on a day-old recruit. That really scared her. She turned red as a beet and called over her walkie-talkie for the head ranger to come up to the gate. He brought three other rangers with him, anticipating trouble I suppose. After hearing what was going on, he was sympathetic and waved us into the park. He promised he'd give his rangers an impromptu sensitivity talk on just what POW's were and why they've earned the measly perks our nation gives them.

I didn't hold my breath.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

That kind of shit makes my stomach turn. The man should be venerated for his service and sacrifice and instead has to put up with shit like that.

I'm sure Vietnam Vets know more about this kind of treatmant than anyone, but I just can't fathom that mindset. Even before I was in the service, I held vets in high regard.

I personally think it's all about how you're raised.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

hobbit wrote:
reluctant civilian wrote: After talking to her for a few minutes I realized that she really didn't know what a Veteren is. I was pissed. I couldn't believe that my sister and brother-in-law hadn't taught her anything about patriotism and service. I know she is old enough to understand, because my 4 year old does.
Don't feel bad. At least six year-olds have an excuse.

So keen is the competition for these outdoors careers, that in order to get a job as a California State Park ranger, a master's degree is now pretty much required of new applicants.

We pulled into the Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park two years ago, me and a fishing buddy my father's age who was a B-17 crewman during WWII. He was shot down over Berlin in 1943 and spent the rest of the war as a POW. He has a California State Parks free pass sticker on his windshield, a state perk for being a former POW.

The park ranger at the gate that day was a young female, about 24, probably fresh from graduate school at Berkeley or Cal State Humboldt.

"Two?" she said, peering into Len's pickup truck, "That'll be $10 for a day pass for two and $8 for the boat launching fee."

"There's a POW pass on the windshield right there on the corner," I told her, pointing at the decal.

Len sat behind the wheel and said nothing.

The young woman scrutinized the decal and pronounced that she'd never seen one before. "What is that?" she asked.

"It's a free pass decal," I said.

I know it's a decal!" she spat back. Why do you have a free parks pass," she continued.

"I'm a former POW," Len interjected, "The state gives free parks passes to former POW's."

That was the straw. It wasn't just the smarmy attitude she'd copped, it was the gross insult to Len. The little bitch knew very well what a POW was, but like so many of her contemporaries on or fresh from Northern California campuses, she'd been taught to revile anything associated with the US military, and to condescend to those tainted with such experiences. What she was really saying to us was, "I don't give a fuck if you were a POW; I don't think they should give you a free park pass because of it."

"You couldn't possibly be that fucking stupid!" I yelled, using all the tact of a drill sergeant jumping on a day-old recruit. That really scared her. She turned red as a beet and called over her walkie-talkie for the head ranger to come up to the gate. He brought three other rangers with him, anticipating trouble I suppose. After hearing what was going on, he was sympathetic and waved us into the park. He promised he'd give his rangers an impromptu sensitivity talk on just what POW's were and why they've earned the measly perks our nation gives them.

I didn't hold my breath.
Hearing 'bout that bitch is enough to piss off anybody.
But at the same time it is more typical than not. Fuck, fucken bitch.

Thanks for sharing hobbit.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

OK, Let's try a new approach to this. How many members here have volunteered time at a School or a church group? We can't expect those who do not know to pass on our stories.

For instance, two days ago I got a letter from a gentleman in IL. He was requesting information on our newly formed unit and curious as to what our lineage was and what Dinstinctive Unit Insignia we were wearing. It was snail mail, there was only a return address and we are busy prepping for our upcoming block leave period. I had every execuse in the world to blow this guy off and keep on with my day. I took a little time got on the internet secured his phone number and gave him a call. I have since flooded his email account with various historical documents and things concerning our Squadron.

When I returned home from OIF 1 I spoke at a church and two schools. This doesn't mean I am great or glorious it means I care. When is the last time any of you has worn your class-A uniform to church or any other function? Some of you guys look very handsome in your tailored suits..a set of Dress Blues would educate more people.

Instead of bitching about the Decline of the western civilizations...get involved!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Instead of bitching about the Decline of the western civilizations...get involved!
Jesus H. You sound like a First Sarnt.
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Thanks anyway, but I volunteer down at the local humane society shelter. I never met a dog that didn't love a veteran (especially ones with a leash in their hands and Milkbones in their pockets). :D
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein

Return to “The Mosh Pit”