Success Rate of Officers about the same as Battalion Boys?

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Patrol record 5-1, straight thru, graduated 10-93. I had the great fortune of having 5 Battboys in my squad after Darby. The plus is that we were squared away. The negative is that we were always cutting trail as the point squad and NEVER ORP security.

Honor Grad was an SF Captain in my platoon that wasn't held in very high regard. He had a squad full of IOBC Lt's that thought he was the 2nd coming of Charlie Beckwith. They peered the only Battboy in the squad and he went on to do well in another platoon.

13% went straight thru in my class IIRC. I don't know what the breakdown was though. I do know that over half of my Pre-Ranger class made it straight thru.

We had some really squared away O's, but most I didn't care for. I think part of this was my high expectation of what I thought an officer should be, based on my experience in Battalion.
Soul Snatcher
Ranger

Post by Soul Snatcher »

Man, I can't remember crap about my go's or no go's, when I was in the "go" line at the end of florida I think I just didn't give a crap about my stats. Officers in school are going to be put in higher positions than lower enlisted. I watched a Marine Captain give a flawless op order and the RI flipped out and threw the clipboard, saying it was soup sandwiches. I also disagree with the first reply, I'm in the green to gold program going to CSU, and when I started I was like what the #$%. College is hard and requires discipline. Hell, it's easy to go for a road march or do an obsticle coarse. It's hard to make yourself learn some bullshit for some punk proffesor you don't even like. I study all night, then go for a 60 mile bike ride then spend time with my wife and daughter. I'll go back to school and smoke those "Batt boy" cherry bitches. Work hard and make friends if you want to get through school. It's just a game, Ranger school is hardcore for fat boy civilian going through the Mcdonalds drive through. It's not hard for a good soldier. Oh yeah, it does help to be lucky too.
Aco. 1/75 2nd plt.
10-00
Getting hosed down by the local Police.

"I use to be in charge of million dollar equipment, now I can't get a job at the car wash!"
Lazy P
Ranger

Post by Lazy P »

reedycsu wrote:Man, I can't remember crap about my go's or no go's, when I was in the "go" line at the end of florida I think I just didn't give a crap about my stats. Officers in school are going to be put in higher positions than lower enlisted. I watched a Marine Captain give a flawless op order and the RI flipped out and threw the clipboard, saying it was soup sandwiches. I also disagree with the first reply, I'm in the green to gold program going to CSU, and when I started I was like what the #$%. College is hard and requires discipline. Hell, it's easy to go for a road march or do an obsticle coarse. It's hard to make yourself learn some bullshit for some punk proffesor you don't even like. I study all night, then go for a 60 mile bike ride then spend time with my wife and daughter. I'll go back to school and smoke those "Batt boy" cherry bitches. Work hard and make friends if you want to get through school. It's just a game, Ranger school is hardcore for fat boy civilian going through the Mcdonalds drive through. It's not hard for a good soldier. Oh yeah, it does help to be lucky too.
The difference is that in school, you pick your major, and you can change your major. It's not like every Officer out there is taking Chemical Engineering. A lot of the undergrad degrees out there are like extended highschool with a periodic hard class here and there. Luck and not being a quiter were the only constants.
Bco 2/75 RGR, 1st Plt 4/96-10/98
HHC 2/75 RGR, BN Sniper Plt 10/98-12/00
RGR School Class 5-98--Recycle fog....

Ranger Buddy Tappen, you out there?
Soul Snatcher
Ranger

Post by Soul Snatcher »

I completely understand your point, I think the main thing is you have to hold youself accountable for being hardcore. Two guys can come out of the same college with the same achievments, but niether man will be the same. Officers don't get the training that enlisted guys do, both physically and tactically, however keep in mind they have that new 6 week coarse before OBC that is equivelant to enlisted Basic. That system will most likely prove to be a good one. Also, does anyone know if Officers have to go to pre-Ranger. If they didn't that would be an overwhelming disadvantage. ROTC is a joke, if you aren't crushing everyone in your Battalion, you need to get there.
Aco. 1/75 2nd plt.
10-00
Getting hosed down by the local Police.

"I use to be in charge of million dollar equipment, now I can't get a job at the car wash!"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

reedycsu wrote:I completely understand your point, I think the main thing is you have to hold youself accountable for being hardcore. Two guys can come out of the same college with the same achievments, but niether man will be the same. Officers don't get the training that enlisted guys do, both physically and tactically, however keep in mind they have that new 6 week coarse before OBC that is equivelant to enlisted Basic. That system will most likely prove to be a good one. Also, does anyone know if Officers have to go to pre-Ranger. If they didn't that would be an overwhelming disadvantage. ROTC is a joke, if you aren't crushing everyone in your Battalion, you need to get there.
This is a little too simplistic. I went back to degree completion after I was commissioned from OCS. I found college to be nothing like the Army, so IMHO this is an apples and oranges argument.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Straight through, I don't recall failing anything. In fact, I didnt fail anything except a major minus for telling an RI to "shut the fuck up". (It was an accident....kinda....)

O's were well prepared when I went through. VERY sound on Operations Orders, Frago's, technical side....enlisted BATT guys had to micro learn those things better. We did.
Land Nav: We had it hands down. I was Compass Man on EVERY patrol when I wasnt PL or APL.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Infantry44
Ranger

Post by Infantry44 »

reedycsu wrote:Also, does anyone know if Officers have to go to pre-Ranger?
No, not all Branches require their LTs attend a Pre-Ranger before going to School.
#06-06
OIF 06-08 (PL, 10th MTN)
OIF VII / OND (XO, 5th GRP)
JORSOF EV11 (TL, 5th GRP)
archangelranger
Ranger

Post by archangelranger »

5 and 2. Started with 6-87. I broke my ankle in City Week, faked my way through to the end of Mountain Phase. Got caught when I could not walk up a hill because my ankle kept dislocating on me. Tried to recycle, couldn't physically make it through the land nav course. Sent home to Bragg, started lobbying to go back as soon as possible. Got my wish, went to RGR Class 11-87. Got cellulitis in my feet; it was like walking on basketballs. Had an SF medic in my squad who cut my feet open every night and helped me drain them. I would not have mede it otherwise.

I lost 52 lbs while there, which was a record at one point. I think it has been beaten now.

RLTW
2/325 AIR 86-89
XVIII Abn Corps 89-92
ODF 1992-2002
Back on the job where I belong 2002-present
Ranger Class 11-87
Jumpmaster Class 4-89
Desert Storm 1990-1991
OIF 07-09 (2-1-1 CDO SPTT, Oct-Nov 2006)
Back from Camp Cupcake, Kuwait, drawing fire in Atlantastan

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”