RIP washouts

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
Recon USMC

about rip....old school

Post by Recon USMC »

in my class of 85, 200 or so went to rip (if memory serves me right). Some were already tabbed, it didn't matter back then. Only 30 or so graduated tabbed or not. About 10 went to each BN 1,2,3 respectfully, upon arrival at my BN (1st), the 1st SGT looked at us and said, "you, you, and you...... About 8 out the 11 were picked and the others were promtly terminated. After a 6 month probation period 5 of us were left. Not sure how this relates to modern day, but in my time the avarage termination rate was 11 months. Some due to injuries, fatigue, and failure to adapt.
After a succ stint you were automatically awarded an army achv medal.

Even if you are a substandard troop, but show alot of heart and obey orders you are good to go, always ask for help from your superiors and
listen. If you fail at a delegated task, try again. If you recieve punishment for inabilities do them with a smile on your face. And lastly when you go to RGR school.. be a leader not a ranger, that was my fault.

I was 19 when I went to RGR school, being raised hard by my SGT (Hill)
I did not have the leadership skills to properly finish the school. I butt stroked a airforce officer for falling asleep in a defensive position(florida phase). For that I recieved a course completion non graduate status.

I was redeemed in the marine corpse by being awarded recon marine status(0321) after the gulf war.

My position was FIST, Aco jump clearing team.
rbarger
Ranger

Post by rbarger »

There will be plenty of people with Ranger contracts that will quit before they get to RIP. Alot of people that think they wanted to be a Ranger change their mind after basic, AIT, and Airborne school. It's easy to read books and watch movies and think how great it would be to become a Ranger, SEAL, SF, etc., but if it was so easy there would be more there. When you get to RIP there will be more washouts. They will go off to serve the needs of the Army. If you pass RIP you will go to a Ranger Batt. I can't speak for USMC recon, but it has always been if you pass RIP you go to a Ranger Batt. You then have to try and make it there, but there is no six month probation. You either make it or you don't.
B. Co. 3/75 88-92
RIP Det. 75th Regt. 92-93
C. Co. 3/75 93-95
Spartan

Re: about rip....old school

Post by Spartan »

Recon USMC wrote:I was redeemed in the marine corpse by being awarded recon marine status(0321) after the gulf war.
Well - I'm kind of getting off-topic here, but...

Man, that's quite a career - the Rangers and Force Recon. I understand that Recon has a different way of doing airborne ops cause they insert in small groups. A friend of mine was explaining it to me once but I don't recall exactly what it was. What is it they call that method? I don't think it's HALO, but I think it was kind of similar. Can you help me out?
Recon USMC

Post by Recon USMC »

pneves wrote:
Recon USMC wrote:I was redeemed in the marine corpse by being awarded recon marine status(0321) after the gulf war.
Well - I'm kind of getting off-topic here, but...

Man, that's quite a career - the Rangers and Force Recon. I understand that Recon has a different way of doing airborne ops cause they insert in small groups. A friend of mine was explaining it to me once but I don't recall exactly what it was. What is it they call that method? I don't think it's HALO, but I think it was kind of similar. Can you help me out?

Sorry fella, Recon Bn, no mans land tromper, I was the coxswain on the team, missed the good jump, you slide on your arse out a spotter plane,
I had to pick them up....
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Recon USMC wrote:Sorry fella, Recon Bn, no mans land tromper, I was the coxswain on the team, missed the good jump, you slide on your arse out a spotter plane, I had to pick them up....
So, you're saying that you were in Recon for four years and you were a coxswain on a boat and never made a jump? I don't understand. Maybe I just don't know how the USMC employs their recon assets. What did you guys do for training and missions?
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Recon USMC wrote:in my class of 85, 200 or so went to rip (if memory serves me right). Some were already tabbed, it didn't matter back then. Only 30 or so graduated tabbed or not.
The guys with tabs would have been attending ROP.1SG Purdy was in ROP when I went to RIP.He then took over as the 1SG of HHC 3Rd Battalion.I remember that he gave us a block of instruction on rigging your equipment for a jump.

I don't remember the pass/fail rate of my RIP class, but my "ranger buddy" in RIP borrowed $50 and terminated right before we went to the field for live fire and our little camp out.The @#7* was gone when I got back.I also remember another guy terminating while in-processing at 3rd Bn S-1.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “About RASP”