#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

RRDTm3 wrote:fuck, not work safe.
Huh?

I am going to edit this post and add that you must have a very strict office. :lol:
It's all good.
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

SHIT! As a former UH1H crewmember, I can tell you that a low altitude tail-rotor loss (which is what looks like happened) here is the scariest thing that can occur.. No autorotate time or capability there. :o
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

as a pilot, I can say, that I think this was a case of Loss of Tail Rotor Thrust. whatever caused it (tail rotor driveshaft failure)or fixed pitch settings, they can be servivable, or recoverable (to an airfield).

I'm not trying to backseat the pilot, because he had a lot of experience, and I have no idea the true nature of his problems, but, if it was controlable, he should have maintained cruise airspeed, taken it to an airport, and executed a run on landing, and essentially just slid it down the runway. the way that works is, the vertical fin is canted on most helicopters so that at cruise speeds, they provide enough sideward lift to almost completely offset the torque effect of the main rotor. speed gets to slow, and you're going to spin with no tail rotor.

another problem with that helicopter, that I don't think happened here, is they get a hydrolics lockup, whick locks up the flight controls, resulting in a cyclic hardover if it doesn't release quickly enough. the hydrolic servos in it are just barely big enough for the job, and occationally a backpressure surge will lock them up.

I'm sppeaking in generalities here and don't know what problems this guy was having, but he was working his ass off to keep that thing level, which is what saved them. so he did a hell of a job wrestling that thing. if he had stopped on the first roof, it would have been much less dramatic, and if they hadn't rolled completely over by the time they hit the second roof, it probalby would have killed them by having the transmission crush into their space.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Now mattter how you slice it, that ride had to suck! :shock:

On another note, do your crew chiefs provide cookies/treats on each mission? All the pilot's I've flown with (especially the 'NAM vets), required that we provide at least a good 2 dozen cookies per mission.
Last edited by BruteForce on July 19th, 2006, 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

sure, just throw them up. my CEs just stand around on the gorund and wave to us as we take off. ain't got but two seats, and they full of pilots...
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “The Mosh Pit”