SPEC 4

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Sigi

SPEC 4

Post by Sigi »

I wasn't sure where to ask this question, and here is hoping I don't get smoked too bad.

I am wondering what role the Spec 4 plays in the Regiment. I assume (not sure) that it means E-4. I have heard them called Spec-4Mafia, or something similar.

Why Mafia? Do they do a majority of the smoking? Are they TL's, SL's? Are these the Rangers who were the Pvt's not long ago who got smoked themselves?

Is the Spec-4 a step away from Sgt.?

I read alot about the "apprehension" some of you Rangers had when you were Pvt's first arriving in to Regiment and met you Spec 4's.

Am I off course here? Does the Spec-4 play a role in the smoking of the Newbies?

Any good smoking stories?

Sorry to intrude, just trying to understand.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

In the Regt, usually PFC's go to Ranger School and get promoted immediately after their return, if they graduate. In my time, the Spec 4's did the majority of the smoking. That is why they were called the Spec 4 mafia. I tried my best to avoid them when I was a private. Lucky for me, I was one squared away fucker. I didn't get smoked too much. Even though Ranger Merc on this board smoked me his fair share. :shock:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

The Spec-4 mafia provides the lion's share of discipline within the Regiment. They are the cherry Tabs and TLs who lead by example, and make life Hell on the cherry privates who have not gotten "their shit" yet.

Behind every strack Ranger, there is (or was) a member of the Spec-4 mafia that was the biggest prick imaginable that is responsible for a lot of what you see.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Sigi

Post by Sigi »

Rangers,

I had a little bit of an idea of what the Spec 4 Mafia was just by reading many of the posts here.

Knowing for sure just allows me to better understand - or at least try to - cherry life in the Regiment.

Thank you.
Sigi

EDIT: I don't mean 'cherry' in a derogative way. That word just means - to me at least - the life you knew before Regiment will officially come to an end.
smug
Embryo

Entering Batt. as a Spec 4

Post by smug »

It is my understanding that if one enlists with a college degree, one enters the Army as a Spec 4. That being the case, what will the relationship be between tabbed Spec 4's and non-tabbed Spec 4's?
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Desert Sloth wrote:When I was a TL, my SPC-4's did all of the dirty work for me. If a private got out of line or screwed up during an op, they dealt out the punishment quickly and with prejudice.

If a TL had to smoke a Private or PFC, you REALLY FUCKED UP and your days were probably numbered. The SPC-4's were also responsible for taking the newbies under their wings and squaring their shit away.
So you were an e-5 team leader Sloth? How many fricking sp4's did you have on your Team????

We were always short folks in A-co.

When I first got their we had an E-6 SL, a sp4 TL and a PFC TL...later we got another e-5....
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

BadMuther wrote:
Desert Sloth wrote:When I was a TL, my SPC-4's did all of the dirty work for me. If a private got out of line or screwed up during an op, they dealt out the punishment quickly and with prejudice.

If a TL had to smoke a Private or PFC, you REALLY FUCKED UP and your days were probably numbered. The SPC-4's were also responsible for taking the newbies under their wings and squaring their shit away.
So you were an e-5 team leader Sloth? How many fricking sp4's did you have on your Team????

We were always short folks in A-co.

When I first got their we had an E-6 SL, a sp4 TL and a PFC TL...later we got another e-5....
When I was a gunner the only people not tabbed were the AB's.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

All the gunners were PFC's when I got to my plt. 8) My squad ldr was the only tab in our squad. We were always short handed. In my time, it was un-written SOP for gunners to be PFCs. Or so it would seem. When Ranger merc was moved to my squad, he was given the gun. I think he hated it. It was definately the right move, because I was the only one in the squad that had real gun time. My squad had the most combat casulties of Just Cause, if my memory serves me correct. When we got back to Benning I was at the top of the food chain and only a PFC. :shock:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”