hit it

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

JD20 wrote:hey dipshit, I'm trying to get some answers here, and your spamming is screwing it all up. Shut the hell up and go away!

Jim
Do you realize that he's already been banned?

And it would be a very, Very good idea in the future if you stayed out of our fields of fire.

We have a tendency to drop everything in the kill zone.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

JD20 wrote:so basically the only way to secure an Option 40 contract is get discharged from the guard and join RA BEFORE I leave for basic, correct?
OK, now let me try to properly frame what your real question is:

What do you want to be:
a. A member of the 75th Ranger Regiment?
b. Graduate of the Ranger course?

To review where you are:

You are a non-trained member of C/1 - 168 Inf (not sure if you are in the detachment in Waterloo or Charles City, Iowa). Have not attended BCT or AIT. Assume you are Infantry(?). If you continue as you are, you will attend BCT/AIT at Benning and return to your unit. When you return to your unit, you can apply for, and if you qualify, be sent to attend theairborne and Ranger Courses (after ARNG pre-Ranger at Benning). If you pass the course you get your tab and return to your unit.

Or

If you can get a release (discharged from the ARNG, you can then attend OSUT, the airborne course, RIP, and get assigned to one of the Ranger Battalions. When you have proved yourself, you will be permitted to attend the Ranger course and if you pass, you will be awarded the tab, and you return to your Ranger unit.

Does this make your options clear?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
JD20

Post by JD20 »

Roger that Ranger Jim
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

JD20 wrote:Roger that Ranger Jim
Hey, pay attention!

He explained what was going on and asked you a question.

Do you just want to go to Ranger school or do you want to go to Ranger Regiment and then later, Ranger school?

Before you answer, knock out 50 for having to have it explained twice.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

The wheels in his head are finally starting to turn......
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

hit_it wrote:The wheels in his head are finally starting to turn......
Sadly, Scott, they are not. If I were someone on the outside looking in, I certainly would be amazed that someone on the other side of the country knew exactly where my unit is located. Besides, he has already enlisted and he thinks he might want to do something else. Maybe.

This young lad is not focused on making a decision -- he is just another of those who want the freedom to want a variety of decisions, whine when they don't get their way; but have no concept of accepting the responsibility of what it means to live with your decision.

He is now aware of his options. The choices are his.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

AbnRgr289 wrote:
JD20 wrote:hey dipshit, I'm trying to get some answers here, and your spamming is screwing it all up. Shut the hell up and go away!

Jim
Do you realize that he's already been banned?

And it would be a very, Very good idea in the future if you stayed out of our fields of fire.

We have a tendency to drop everything in the kill zone.
JD, did you read and understand what I said?

Not only is it common courtesy to answer a question when it is asked, but it is also positive communication.

It lets others know that you either read or heard what was said and that you understand it.

Not only in the military but also in life itself, communication is the key to success. Remember this, it will help you out in life.

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
JD20

Post by JD20 »

AbnRgr289, I want to get the Ranger Tab, and be a part of a Ranger bat. I do a little whining yes Ranger Jim, but so does every person I have met. I finished writing my letter for my discharge today, and plan on handing it in tomorrow to a MSGT. Ranger Jim, my unit is not located in Waterloo, or in Charles City. As for wanting to do something else, I'm not trying to get out of any army activity, I'm trying to get more, a weekend warrior is not enough.

AbnRgr289, I understood what you meant about communication.

I will not post again until I have my discharge underway....

until then..

Jim
JB
US Army Veteran

Post by JB »

JD

You mention turning in the letter but what about your DD 368? The letter is only to give your chain of command the warm and fuzzy that this is what you want to do, the DD 368 is so they can transfer you.
AD 1993-1998
Currently a FA Battery XO
JD20

Post by JD20 »

so basically the letter is useless?
Oreo
Tadpole

Post by Oreo »

JD20 wrote:so basically the letter is useless?
The letter is quite helpful. You still need your paperwork though.
628th MI Bn,28th ID(M): June 03-Jan05
Bco 447th Signal Bn Nov 06-Jan 08
A Co WTB(Ft. Gordon) Jan-April 08
"I don't fear failure. I only fear the slowing up of the engine inside of me which is saying, 'Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?'"
-General George S. Patton
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

So, did you knock out 50 for not paying attention yet, or did you blow me off?

Now, knock out another 50 for me having to ask. You see how failure to follow instructions snowballs into larger problems?
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

EvilCouch wrote:So, did you knock out 50 for not paying attention yet, or did you blow me off?

Now, knock out another 50 for me having to ask. You see how failure to follow instructions snowballs into larger problems?
It's funny how that works, isn't it! :D

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

JB wrote:JD-

I have been through this process with one of my Soldiers so here are a few things to remember.

First, you're not a DEP but a REP. Meaning you are already a member of the Guard and it is harder to back out of your contract with out consequences.

Second, continue to work with an Active Duty recruiter. He will need to give you a DD Form 368 Request for Conditional Release. This form along with your letter is submitted through your chain of command to the first O-6/COL or his designate for signature. If and when it is signed, then you can sign a contract with the Active Duty. Just be aware, he is under no obligation to sign it. Also, be patient. Chances are most of your chain of command are drilling Soldiers so it may take some time before you get it back.

As far as your other questions about bonuses and other contract issues if you join after BCT/AIT do a search. I know SFC Hit It has already answered those questions in this forum.
First I would like to say this is in no way a correction on my part, just information I have received on this type of situation in my career through personal experience.

There should be an actual packet that has to be sent up through your chain of command entailing more than the documents listed above. This is info about 3 1/2 years old so bear with me if times have changed a bit.

You should be required to have a counseling from your retention NCO pertaining to the losses of your bonus/GI bill/etc., a counseling from your commander detailing that you understand what you are requesting, and the above documents as well. Your unit Admin NCO should have this information readily available. I know that when I tried to swap components the Active Duty recruiter had no idea what I needed.

Another factor that may come into play is whether your recruiter is civilian or army, and how long he has been in this position. Another point I would like to make, I was reserves so as stated before by Veteran JB, there are differences, but I believe these conditions apply throughout the components.

That being said, I will now sashay back to the Ladies sitting area.....
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

I know that when I tried to swap components the Active Duty recruiter had no idea what I needed.
Must have been one shitty recruiter.

Allyou have to do is call you Battalion Operations, not that you couldn't have found out from a station commander or 1SG, what you need to process a Soldier out of a TPU/IRR and into the RA.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”