hit it

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
JD20

Post by JD20 »

I have had a convo with Ranger Grumble and Grunt and I believe we have squared things off. Theres not much I can say or do to make you change your mind Ranger Taternut, so thats that I guess. Although I do not want to leave this website or be booted off of it. But if that is the case, I have still learned alot and appreciate the Rangers who made it possible for me to learn while I was still here.
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grumble and Grunt »

I hold no grudge.
RS Class 06-06
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

:lol:
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
JB
US Army Veteran

Post by JB »

JD-

I have been through this process with one of my Soldiers so here are a few things to remember.

First, you're not a DEP but a REP. Meaning you are already a member of the Guard and it is harder to back out of your contract with out consequences.

Second, continue to work with an Active Duty recruiter. He will need to give you a DD Form 368 Request for Conditional Release. This form along with your letter is submitted through your chain of command to the first O-6/COL or his designate for signature. If and when it is signed, then you can sign a contract with the Active Duty. Just be aware, he is under no obligation to sign it. Also, be patient. Chances are most of your chain of command are drilling Soldiers so it may take some time before you get it back.

As far as your other questions about bonuses and other contract issues if you join after BCT/AIT do a search. I know SFC Hit It has already answered those questions in this forum.
AD 1993-1998
Currently a FA Battery XO
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

JB wrote:JD-

I have been through this process with one of my Soldiers so here are a few things to remember.

First, you're not a DEP but a REP. Meaning you are already a member of the Guard and it is harder to back out of your contract with out consequences.

Second, continue to work with an Active Duty recruiter. He will need to give you a DD Form 368 Request for Conditional Release. This form along with your letter is submitted through your chain of command to the first O-6/COL or his designate for signature. If and when it is signed, then you can sign a contract with the Active Duty. Just be aware, he is under no obligation to sign it. Also, be patient. Chances are most of your chain of command are drilling Soldiers so it may take some time before you get it back.

As far as your other questions about bonuses and other contract issues if you join after BCT/AIT do a search. I know SFC Hit It has already answered those questions in this forum.
Exactly right. Also, the RA requires that all persons requestig active duty also have a DA Form 4187 requesting such be signed by the CO as well.

The recruiter will also have this form and proper format.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
JD20

Post by JD20 »

ok, I've written my letter so far, and I've told all my sgt.'s that I want to switch to active duty. But they all tell me the same thing "wait til after basic and AIT"....I asked my MSGT whether or not I would be able to get RIP in my contract, and he said it would still be possible then. The reason I ask this question is because I read a post saying that you can't get RIP in your contract if you've already gone through basic/AIT with another branch....if this is the case, then I definetly need to get discharged, but if not, then I can still fulfill the first half of my contract with the guard and get some bonuses. But if not, then I will more the willing cancel my contract. So, my question is whether or not I can get RIP in my contract if I go through basic/AIT with the guard?

Jim
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

JD20 wrote:ok, I've written my letter so far, and I've told all my sgt.'s that I want to switch to active duty. But they all tell me the same thing "wait til after basic and AIT"....I asked my MSGT whether or not I would be able to get RIP in my contract, and he said it would still be possible then. The reason I ask this question is because I read a post saying that you can't get RIP in your contract if you've already gone through basic/AIT with another branch....if this is the case, then I definetly need to get discharged, but if not, then I can still fulfill the first half of my contract with the guard and get some bonuses. But if not, then I will more the willing cancel my contract. So, my question is whether or not I can get RIP in my contract if I go through basic/AIT with the guard?

Jim
On the other hand, what ARNG unit are you enlisting for? The reason I ask this question is that there are ARNG spaces in each Ranger class. For example a number of both enlisted and officer spaces in the 29th Infantry Division are coded for Ranger qualified personnel. Accordingly, you may want to consider this as an option. Sadly, I do not have sufficient background data on you to make an informed recommendation.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
JD20

Post by JD20 »

I'm Co C in the 168th Infantry. The Sgt.'s were trying to tell me that you can get Ranger School in the guard, but I don't want to take the chance of not getting RIP in my contract, as if I were to sign a contract with the RA. Is this information I could give you over this message board Ranger Jim, or would this be something to were you'd have to know me personally.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Oreo, send your info to JD20.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Oreo
Tadpole

Post by Oreo »

JD20 wrote:ok, I've written my letter so far, and I've told all my sgt.'s that I want to switch to active duty. But they all tell me the same thing "wait til after basic and AIT"....I asked my MSGT whether or not I would be able to get RIP in my contract, and he said it would still be possible then. The reason I ask this question is because I read a post saying that you can't get RIP in your contract if you've already gone through basic/AIT with another branch....if this is the case, then I definetly need to get discharged, but if not, then I can still fulfill the first half of my contract with the guard and get some bonuses. But if not, then I will more the willing cancel my contract. So, my question is whether or not I can get RIP in my contract if I go through basic/AIT with the guard?

Jim
They are going to tell you to wait until you get back from AIT to switch over, problem is, you wont be able to secure an Option 40. Make sure you talk to your squad leader as well as your PSG so they know what your intentions are. A few minutes of conversation can do alot of good in the long run.
628th MI Bn,28th ID(M): June 03-Jan05
Bco 447th Signal Bn Nov 06-Jan 08
A Co WTB(Ft. Gordon) Jan-April 08
"I don't fear failure. I only fear the slowing up of the engine inside of me which is saying, 'Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?'"
-General George S. Patton
JD20

Post by JD20 »

so basically the only way to secure an Option 40 contract is get discharged from the guard and join RA BEFORE I leave for basic, correct?
Ben McMaster

Post by Ben McMaster »

Yes correct you a girl or boy cause i reccomend this place for boys-only if you are boy you should know yourself-girl.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Ben McMaster wrote:Yes correct you a girl or boy cause i reccomend this place for boys-only if you are boy you should know yourself-girl.
Who the fuck are you?
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
JD20

Post by JD20 »

hey dipshit, I'm trying to get some answers here, and your spamming is screwing it all up. Shut the hell up and go away!

Jim

Return to “Recruitment Process”