Days of Service and LRP/Incentives

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Dean
Inprocessing

Days of Service and LRP/Incentives

Post by Dean »

What exactly defines a "Days of Service Applicant"? I ran into this term while at MEPS last week when I wanted to change my MGIB to a LRP (loan repayment) since I reno'd my previous contract but was told I am ineligible. I asked why and the counselor printed out USAREC message 05-200 which states in item 15:

"The Loan Repayment Program (LRP) is available to all MOS's. The applicants must be NPS with tier I education credential, TSC I-IIIB with a minimum Term of service no less than three years. Term of service is dictated by the parent MOS. The LRP is not available for Days of Service applicants enlisting with options 3, 4, 18, 19, 26, 34, 40. The maximum reimbursable loan amount is $65,000. LRP applicants are required to decline enrollment in the MGIB. LRP may be linked with all other incentives except the ACF. Guidance Counselors need to brief applicants selecting the LRP as an enlistment option IAW AR 601-210 Table 9-4."

As mentioned in my intro I am in the reserves and the only active duty days I have are the 72 that I spent in BCT at Ft. Jackson. Is there still any way to get my student loans paid off or am I shit outta luck? Any and all help is more than greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

As mentioned in my intro I am in the reserves and the only active duty days I have are the 72 that I spent in BCT at Ft. Jackson
Yes, but you completed basic training, right?

That makes you a DOS.

So if that's what the reg says now I guess you're stuck.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Days of Service and LRP/Incentives

Post by Steadfast »

Dean wrote:What exactly defines a "Days of Service Applicant"? I ran into this term while at MEPS last week when I wanted to change my MGIB to a LRP (loan repayment) since I reno'd my previous contract but was told I am ineligible. I asked why and the counselor printed out USAREC message 05-200 which states in item 15:

"The Loan Repayment Program (LRP) is available to all MOS's. The applicants must be NPS with tier I education credential, TSC I-IIIB with a minimum Term of service no less than three years. Term of service is dictated by the parent MOS. The LRP is not available for Days of Service applicants enlisting with options 3, 4, 18, 19, 26, 34, 40. The maximum reimbursable loan amount is $65,000. LRP applicants are required to decline enrollment in the MGIB. LRP may be linked with all other incentives except the ACF. Guidance Counselors need to brief applicants selecting the LRP as an enlistment option IAW AR 601-210 Table 9-4."

As mentioned in my intro I am in the reserves and the only active duty days I have are the 72 that I spent in BCT at Ft. Jackson. Is there still any way to get my student loans paid off or am I shit outta luck? Any and all help is more than greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You will address him as "SFC hit_it" in your posts and replies to him.

Read this FAQ rapido. http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2832
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Dean
Inprocessing

Post by Dean »

Roger Ranger Steadfast.