Old neck injury

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Goatboy708
Tadpole

Old neck injury

Post by Goatboy708 »

To make a long story short, about 12 years ago I hurt my neck playing football. When it happened I couldn’t move for a few seconds and was numb for about a minute. Since feeling and movement came back I wrote it off as shock from the initial pain. I never went to the doctor, because at the time we were dirt poor. Time went by and the pain went away. Only problems I had was occasionally when I would turn my head to the right really fast I would get that pinched nerve sensation, but nothing I couldn’t drive past. The only other problem was an increased sensitivity in the neck muscles on the right side of my spine.

Now that I’m getting older I’ve been developing new symptoms. I guess, starting this past year I’ve been having more problems. I now have things like tingling in my hands when I straighten my arms out. Pains that shoot down my right arm. Sharp pains that start on the right side of my neck and shoot over my head and stopping in my right eye socket. My arms will shake uncontrollably after I do minimal physical exertion. And I’ll get “cricksâ€
"I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me cookie"
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

especially if I’m just being a pussy about it.
Nah, tingling, pins and needles, pain and weakness are all typical neuropathic symptoms so there’s likely some underlying damage.

While you may be able to drive through the pain and discomfort now it’s not something to ignore. I know money is tight but this should be a priority in your budget, it may save you a lot of money and pain in the long run. The bad news is when it’s all said and done, there may be nothing that can be done to give you any permanent relief and treatment for chronic back and neck pain can be costly. If you can manage to get some insurance either through work or otherwise you may want to keep the problem quite until you are covered so as not to increase the cost of insurance premiums.

Bottom line as usual, you need to be seen by a professional. Pain docs, PMnR (pain management and rehabilitation), Ortho, Physical therapist, and Chiropractors are all knowledgeable in this area. Although they depend on different techniques some work better than others and it varies from person to person. Good luck and avoid activities that put undue stress on that area in the meantime.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
Goatboy708
Tadpole

Post by Goatboy708 »

Ranger Bustedkidney,

Thank you for the response and advice. I'll go see someone as soon as I can.
AntonA2W
Ranger

Post by AntonA2W »

Im herniated C-5 thru 7, I had MAJOR pain, like a shock running down my right arm into my hand into my fingers ALL the time. Sucked down percs like candy, 20 a day. Was in a VFW one night, drinking to get numb as usual, bitched to a buddy who said he was herniated L-1 thru 4, when I asked how he dealt with it, he laughed and said ACCUPUNCTURE. I laughed at him. He said NO SHIT, gotta go at least a 5-6 times. I said OK, been thru enough BS so far. Went 4 times and havent had any pain since. I know it sounds crazy, but give it a try. RLTW
"...Fuck it all and Fuckin no regrets..."

God Bless Dementia

1/75, A2W, 11Jul93-18Nov94 (started day 1 of a 34 day nap)
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

Many pain docs are using acupuncture for back and neck pain as well as trigger point pain. We use acupuncture and needling with local in our pain clinic with mixed results, some call it a miracle others call it a sham. My thoughts, if it’s stupid and it works, it’s not stupid.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
Goatboy708
Tadpole

Post by Goatboy708 »

Thank you all for the advice. I'm seeing a chiropractor later today. I will keep acupuncture in mind. I only have to find a place that semi close to where I live.

Return to “Medical Issues”