Trail of Honor

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

MrsDocMac

Trail of Honor

Post by MrsDocMac »

This was meant to be short, but I got to typing and just couldn't stop. I hope you will bear with me and at least note the wonderful people I met on this day....

The Trail of Honor is an event hosted by the Jackson, MS Harley Davidson Shop. It began about 3 or 4 years ago and my Daddy took me to the very first one. There were maybe fifty folks there, all with a beer in their hand and everybody knew everybody. There were three "sites" in the woods that you walked past with authentic weapons and paraphernalia from WWI, WWII, and the Civil War. Just a few vets and some good-hearted bike riders doing their part to honor our men and women, past and present, the weekend before Memorial Day.

Today it has grown to gigantic proportions. Recognized nationally, it now holds re-enactments of every major war/conflict the United States has participated in all the way up to the current activities in Iraq and Afghanistan. People from across the country participate in, and come to view this amazing show of patriotism that started with just a few fellas paying homage in their own way.

This morning started out with a showing of the Colors and a prayer for those gone, those lost, and those that will never be forgotten. This year, there were 4 authentic Vietnam Era helicopters, two Hueys and two others (I will find out exactly what those two others were tomorrow when I attend it again). Throughout the day many traveled by foot the earthen trail that leads you through the memories of the past and realities of the present. You end your tour with a stop in the POW/MIA tent which is set up with a candle that is kept burning through the weekend (it does get replaced when the candle gets low, but the flame remains lit throughout). There is a crystal vase with a single fully blooming yellow rose around which is a yellow ribbon. Behind the table is a POW/MIA flag proudly displayed to remember them always. On the table is a binder, in this binder are the names of soldiers, marines, sailors, and airmen who will never be forgotten from the MS area. Family members of those who are not already in this binder are encouraged to see the owner of the shop, "Earl" to have their loved one's name entered into the book as well.

The veterans are everywhere there, from those whose service was short but proud to those who were recognized numerous times by president's and general's alike for their valorous service, but today, they all looked the same, men and women who did what they had to do for their country. I was privileged to meet three amazing people today.

The first was Retired Air Force Captain, Theodore J. Van Kirk, the navigator of the Enola Gay. For those not familiar with this plane, it was the one that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima, August 6, 1945. Old in years, the man is sharp as a tack. He told me of the day he and the crew of 11 flew over Hiroshima and the sobering thoughts afterward. This was an experience all it's own and until you have the chance to speak to him yourself, I could never convey the emotions I felt from his words.

The second person was the wife of Major Thomas W. Ferebee, the bombardier of the Enola Gay who has long since past. The courage and pride this woman exudes as she tells of her husband is all encompassing. Like so many before and so many since she has bore the ultimate sacrifice a military spouse can and is proud of her husband and what he did for our country. She is the epitome of a military wife and a wonderful woman in her own right. The spark that flickers in her eyes as she spoke to me of him is one you will only find in those who have received a "gold star" and it rocked me to my core. Thank God for women like her.

My final privileged encounter of the day was a man by the name of Jack H Lucas. I'm sure all the marines on the board will have heard this name many times in their career and can imagine my humility at hearing him speak to me. As I spoke to the man sitting in front of me you could his age in his face and his movements, but with his boisterous laughter and his penchant to make others laugh as well you'd have thought him to be a spry 18 yr old boy full of life. The youngest recipient of the Medal of honor in the Marine Corps, and the youngest to receive it in the 20th century, he joined the Corps at 14 lying about his age, snuck on a ship to go to Iwo Jima. He saved the lives of two other Marines by throwing his body on a grenade. Barely surviving but severely injured he went on to finish high school, attend college and even do a four year stint in the United States Army. He has written a book named "Indestructible" of his career and life which he autographed for my husband and gave to me. I am going to read it first, then I'll send it to him. I can only hope these written words will be an adequate substitute for his voice, but I am sure it won't. He highlighted his career for me and I can't wait to find out the rest.

For me today was a truly humbling experience that I will remember for the rest of my life. I am grateful to have met these men and this woman and look forward to meeting many more of the same tomorrow when I return. The trails open again at 1100 and at 1400 the Black Daggers will be performing a show while the state officials shut off a 3 mile strip of the interstate for their safety. This event is held every year, the weekend before Memorial Day and every year it just gets better. I encourage all of those with the funds, with or without bikes, to make the journey to attend. I can promise you will leave with a newfound respect and a sense of pride. If you're lucky, you can stick around afterwards and even have a few beers with "Earl" and the Vets.

Thank you for reading, have a good Memorial Day and thank you to all of those who have served, are serving, and will one day have the privilege to serve.

-Tabbi
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

Thanks, Tabbi.

Just when the media focus on war protesters and whiners and complainers starts to make me start to feel cynical about my country, hearing about an event like this reminds me of the vast majority of Americans who the reporters aren't interested in talking to.
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

Okay, well, Sunday I rode one of the Huey's, a very rough ride and I went through about a bottle of conditioner getting the knots out of my hair. For those on the board who haven't had the chance to do this, I highly recommend grabbing a Gunner's seat for a really good view. The Black Daggers put on a pretty good show and I finally found out what the other two birds were. One was a Cobra, the other a Loach.(not sure on the spelling) Unfortunately I don't have any pics because while I was trying to photograph one of the guys riding the bikes with us to the trail, I dropped the damn camera. I didn't even try to retrieve it because I saw it shatter to a million pieces as it fell under the car behind us. :evil: On the plus side though, I was able to record everything with the DVD camcorder I kept safely in the saddle bag. Today I had the pleasure of recording the 500+ riders from across the nation as they went under an overpass of I-20 to Meridian. It was truly an awesome sight to see so many American and POW/MIA flags flying proudly behind them, all headed to the Memorial Wall in D.C.

Anyway, just wanted to share all of that with you.
I am done now and you may return to your regularly scheduled program.
BTW, you are quite welcome Ranger CHCB!
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

If you can convert it to a video file, I'd be interested in seeing that and hosting it for anyone else to view.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

One of the most inspiring posts I have read in quite some time. Thank you Tabbi! It was a pleasure reading of your experiences. I will make it a point of attending this event someday in the not to distant future.
Rico
Ranger

Thankyou

Post by Rico »

Tabbi,

I'd just like to repeat what RTO said, I too will make it a priority to attend. Thanks again, it was a great read to start the day.

j.
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

Ranger Evil Couch, I am in the process of trying to figure out how to do that, I want to email the riders to some friends but can't seem to get the computer to recognize the mini dvd it's on... :evil:

I'm taking it up to the Best Buy in the next day or so though to try and figure it all out and as soon as I do will gladly post a clicky for it.

Ranger RTO and Ranger j.rico, I'm very glad you enjoyed the account of this event and I can assure you, whatever year you attend I'll be there to give you guys a tour. It's gets 10 times better each year and so I can't wait to see it when my kids are old enough to truly appreciate it.

BTW, here is the link for the event (Iknow it took a while but I finally found it) This is the first year he has set up a website so bear with him. There are a few pics on there of years past and at the top are links to the rider's page. With these you could get more info and contacts for when you decide to come for a visit.
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

ProudWifetoMyArmyRanger wrote:Ranger Evil Couch, I am in the process of trying to figure out how to do that, I want to email the riders to some friends but can't seem to get the computer to recognize the mini dvd it's on... :evil:

I'm taking it up to the Best Buy in the next day or so though to try and figure it all out and as soon as I do will gladly post a clicky for it.
Sounds good, ma'am. And thanks for sharing the experience with us.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “The Mosh Pit”