Ranger recruit injury

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
alakso
USMC Veteran

Ranger recruit injury

Post by alakso »

Greetings Rangers and civilians. My son was doing great at Airborne training. He passed the PT test no problem, and did the first week of training including a 4 mile run. I talked to him Memorial weekend after his first week of Airborne and he was doing good except he had tweaked his knee a little. But he said he'd be fine and he'd tuff it out. Then the day after Memorial day which was the start of his second week in Airborne he did the 5 mile run no problem. But his knee was really bothering him after that run. He tried not to limp, but Sargent Airborne sent him to sick bay. Well he has some inflammation of the lower knee joint. He said he tweaked it the last week of OSUT, and then aggravated it during Grass Drills at Airborne. They also told him at sick bay that the slow running they do in Airborne actually made his knee worse. So my son was offered 3 options. One was to quit Airborne, which he didn't want to do. Then he was offered Airborne hold for 2-3 months but he dreaded doing that. And he was offered to be assigned to an Infantry Unit and then be able to come back to Airborne school in 6 months. He was also told if he took this option he'd have a chance to go to Ranger school. So he took the 3rd option and has been assigned to the 25Th ID at Schoefield Barracks in Oahu, Hawaii. His plan is to heal up, train in Hawaii, and get back to Airborne and Ranger school from his unit in the 25Th ID. He's home on leave now and flies out of Atlanta the end of June. I'll keep you all posted on his progress. Thanks for all your help and support.
Woliwon (thanks in Penobscot)...alakso

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bell

Post by Bell »

OOps...this is gonna be interesting. Just taking a wild guess....he got fucked.

He should have taken Airborne hold. At least he'd still be in Airborne School. I don't know about this one.

RLTW
Bell
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

I hope it's not too late. Sucks to be him. I think I would have stayed in Abn. school. I do hope he gets his shot and I pray for a speedy recovery.
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

Good luck.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Stupid fucking decision.

Anyhow, he won't be back to Airborne during this enlistment.

Tell him to get another quarter so he can play again one day.

GAME OVER.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
alakso
USMC Veteran

Post by alakso »

I asked my son if he had it in writing and he said NO. He said that he'd have to prove himself in his infantry unit to get back to Airborne and Ranger school. My son had made this decision without talking to me because he knew I'd tell him to stay in Airborne hold until he healed up. He said he was worried about getting out of shape for RIP while waiting in Airborne hold. Plus he was bored and wanted to do something, anything but Airborne hold. So he took the assignment to the 25Th ID. I've heard they train hard in Hawaii. So hopefully he'll get back on track. He's also told me he's only 19, and has his whole Army career ahead of him. So he can still make it to Ranger school, and hopefully Ranger Batt. someday. Of course I was disappointed with his decision not to hold in Airborne. But I'll support him where ever he ends up. RLTW...alakso
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

You as a parent should support him.

I retain the option of talking about him like a dog. :lol:

In reality, He'll become a damn good infantryman in the 25th.

It could have been much worse. He could have went to Fort Hood. :shock:
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
usedtobe
US Army Veteran

Post by usedtobe »

He just traded his Airborne hold for Air Assault hold :lol:

If he stays on track and does not turn into a beach bum,
he has good chance to go to Ranger School.
Schofiled has a great R.I.P. Program!

ASK! HARASS! ASK!
RECOOOON!!
soldiersdad
Ranger Dad

Post by soldiersdad »

I realize this is an old topic but didn't know that there was another Ranger Indoctrination Program other than Ft.Benning.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

soldiersdad wrote:I realize this is an old topic but didn't know that there was another Ranger Indoctrination Program other than Ft.Benning.
There is only one RIP.

But there are allot of Unit's in the Army that have there own Pre-Ranger course that helps to separate and get soldiers ready for Ranger School.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

hit_it wrote:
It could have been much worse. He could have went to Fort Hood. :shock:
or Bragg :twisted:

(I hate that place)
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “About Airborne School”