GPS system for down range

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Dud
Tadpole

GPS system for down range

Post by Dud »

I'm headin down range here in a bit and am lookin for some information on a good civilian GPS system with downloadable maps for our areas of operation. While we will of course have a military issue system with us, I've found that these don't always work the best and want a back up. In searching the site, I've only found info that really deals with civilian use here in the states. Does anyone have a recommendation for a GPS system to use in the box? Also, not sure if this makes a difference or not, but I"m in a D elta Company. Part of what I read was that some models had small screens which didnt provide a very wide view of the terrain. Given that we should be traveling (hopefully) at high speeds. I don't know if this should play a factor or not in my selection. As always any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the time Rangers,

Dud
"The secret to happiness in life is finding that which you are willing to die for, and begin living for it."
BRanger91
Ranger

Post by BRanger91 »

Maps can be kind of useless there I found. At least what is downloadable. You are better off just using your issued maps and a smaller GPS. I carried two. My Garmin Etrex was my backup while my Foretrex was was my main liner. Even though my Etrex was my back-up I laways had it on me and even left it on during most patrol missions. This way it was always ready to go.
C co 3/75 91-93 'The Rock'
OIF 04-05
the_cak
Ranger

Post by the_cak »

I haven't been to the box yet, but there is a good thread on this at lightfighter.net.

http://lightfighter.net/groupee/forums/ ... /218109369

I have a Garmin GPSMap60CS and I really like it.
C co 3/75 Feb 99 to July 2000
Ranger School Class 7-00 (Started in 6-00)
USMA Class of 2005
1-87 INF Jan 06 to present
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

I'm here now, Fuck all that expensive bullshit. Just stop and ask for directions the people will be more than happy to help.
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I have an etrex vista, and I love it. HOWEVER, if I were you I'd get a Garmin RINO-gps and radio all in one.

Return to “Personal Gear”