New Orleans

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Here's the possible solution. Simple style

Put out a contract to the lowest bidder, perhaps a poor nation, a nation with a lower income like Bali (or the lowest bidder - lower than this one). Pay everyone half-dollar per hour. Give them plans and a time limit of say 30 - 90 days with no more than 12 hours per day. They should be done with the huts by that time with a final tally of say 1 million. While the building is going on have all the inhabitants leave the city until the Bali Construction Company is finished. Upon completion make the CEO of the Construction Co take Mary Landrieu place and that Mary Landrieu to never hold political office again.

Possible savings 249,999,000,000.00 :lol:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

$249.99billion saved and workplaces created? Sure. Send some Nigerians in there to protect the workers. They work for $1/day on average. Not to mention the racial paradox it would create :wink:
Oilpatch
Tadpole

Post by Oilpatch »

Well then, I'm going to wait around for my check...

I hadn't heard anything about that $250B 'til now; I wonder if most of that will go to repairing/constructing the levees to the standard that was in place, but not met, when the Corps of Engrs built them.

Now, it may seem like a small point, but most of the damage in New Orlns came from the levees collapsing, not from the storm. The storm came and went, and hours later, the levees broke and the flooding commenced. (The levees broke, they were not "topped" by waves (except for one or two isolated cases) as a lot of people now like to say they predicted).

Now, if you're driving your car across a bridge and it collapses due to design/construction flaws, do you get blamed for driving your car into the river?

There's nowhere in this world where you can collapse levees and not have a problem. Miss River valley, Sacramento, doesn't matter.

As for insurance, I have it, my parents have it, my brother has it. But a lot of people were told by their insurance agents they didn't need it because they didn't live in a flood zone/below sea level. (Contrary to the popular notion, the entire city is not below sea level). And sure, some people are just cheap and didn't have it. But some elderly people never dreamed it would cost more to repair their house than they paid for it in the first place.

As for why we live here, I dunno. Why do so many people live in mobile homes in a tornado capitol like Okla City?

I'd like to think that working in the offshore domestic O&G business (like I do) is a good thing for our country. As is working in refining, or the railroads that serve the port, or the port itself (which kind of has to be here because the river gets too shallow for ships after Baton Rouge).

Other than that, I do some volunteer work at the D-Day Museum (worked on the crew that built their Higgins LCVP and on the crew that restored their LCP) giving tours. If anybody ever wants an insider's tour, I hope you'll look me up and let me know. We're really proud of that place.

And other than that, I hope someone will crack a cold one for me at the Pastor's place this weekend!
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

Other than a big fucking ramble, what was your point Oilpatch?
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
jsmurphy
Tadpole

Post by jsmurphy »

Wanna buy a fucked up bus?

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/28/D8GKV6MG0.html

Maybe the Army can put them on ranges.
11B20 leg grunt. OSUT Benning '80. B 2/13 FRG '81-'83. B 1/58 Benning '83-'84.

Fuck the UN
lawdog
Tadpole

Post by lawdog »

VAK wrote:Other than a big fucking ramble, what was your point Oilpatch?
I think he partially blames the government for having built substandard levees and not bringing them up to date when their deficiencies were noticed. That's what I got from the bridge analogy. He was also trying to point out that not everyone in that area is a crack smoking welfare case. I think that was the point.
“You got the right to remain silent, so shut the fuck up, ok? You got the right to an attorney. If you can't afford an attorney, we will provide you with the dumbest fucking lawyer on earth. If you get Johnny Cochrane, I'll kill ya!â€
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

LD, I got it.

I was hoping he would continue his diatribe, then I was going to come back with how New Orleans has been offerred funding repeatedly to fix the levees yet, stating that there wouldn't be a problem and that tourism was more important, they turned it down. I also wanted him to continue his tale of how they were not this or that to which I was going to offer a response.

Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Oilpatch wrote:Other than that, I do some volunteer work at the D-Day Museum (worked on the crew that built their Higgins LCVP and on the crew that restored their LCP) giving tours. If anybody ever wants an insider's tour, I hope you'll look me up and let me know. We're really proud of that place.
I hope that the D-Day Museum didn't get ruined. I visited it last year, and spent about 4-5 hours in there. I've been curious ever since the hurricane as to whether or not Patrick Duffy was OK. That gentleman talked to me for several hours, describing the assault on Omaha Beach. If he is alive and well, and still working at the museum, give him my regards.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

VAK wrote:LD, I got it.

I was hoping he would continue his diatribe, then I was going to come back with how New Orleans has been offerred funding repeatedly to fix the levees yet, stating that there wouldn't be a problem and that tourism was more important, they turned it down. I also wanted him to continue his tale of how they were not this or that to which I was going to offer a response.
And then I was going to come back with the fact that flood insurance not only protects against the obvious (flood), but it also protects against many other forms of water damage that is traditionally excluded from coverage on a normal homeowner's policy. Therefore, the premise that so many people were advised by so many insurance professionals in the area that they had no need for flood insurance, since they did not live in a flood zone, means that either the abundance of insurance professionals in the area are inept, or that he is just flat out wrong in his premise.

Not to mention the fact that insurance agents make their living in sales. How many people in sales are going to turn down business when the client has a definite need for the product?
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Oilpatch
Tadpole

Post by Oilpatch »

Well, let me say this:

Controller VAK, I apologize if that post came across as a diatribe or a rant.

That was not my intent or my tone when I wrote it. For what it's worth, I think that I could have said that to you in a face to face conversation without my attitude or tone of voice giving any offense.

I also apologize if that post came across as a ramble. I was trying to make two points:

1) There a helluva lot of decent people here who are being handed the crappy end of the stick through no fault of their own; and

2) The overall contribution that this area makes to the US economy makes a federal rebuilding effort worthwhile, in spite of the image New Orleans has as a shit/rat hole.

Ranger Creeping Death, the issues around insurance are very complex and way beyond the limits of my expertise. But let me say this: There are a lot of people down here getting a hard lesson in the fact that paying years of premiums for coverage doesn't necesarily mean you'll get compensated when a loss is incurred.

Ranger Earthpig, no museum volunteers came to physical harm as a result of the storm. A lot of people who left still haven't returned, electing to stay where their children/brothers/sisters live, particularly if their houses got wrecked. If I can find out anything about Mr. Duffy's situation, I'll let you know.

The D-Day museum itself came through fine with no flooding or wind damage. The coffee shop and the souvenir shop were looted. As you might imagine, they left the books in the shop pretty much untouched.
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

Kid, I agree that a hell of a lot of people are being handed a big pile of shit. Whether through no fault of their own is somewhat debatable. I agree that services should be made available to them but at what cost to the Nation? I spent an incredible amount of time throughout that region, riding out Hurricaine Rite in Beuamont TX all in the name of getting good and services to that area. The overwhelming premise I am seeing however is the astounding level of fraud, waste and abuse only to be seconded by local and state officials continuously wanting to finger point. It does no good and it's not solving any of the problems.

Further, look at where your region is on it's clean up efforts as compared to the other regions and then compare that to the dollar amounts spent. You will be astounded and I would hope as a citizen angered. I also still dont understand how any one citizen who has reaped the benefits of a tourism market gone through the roof over the last two decades can say anything about the federal responsiveness when the fed's for that entire time have all but closed the city, coming into near rants about the state of the levee's. Nor should anyone who lives in the area have complaint one with the level of preparedness when we look at the response immediately given due to the military. Certainly not to the mismanagement of funds in your area (I am speaking of federal funding for just such an event.) So my point was not to smack you about being frustrated, Hell I would be frustrated but how involved in your government and emergency preparedness are you? How involved is your family? (This is a rhetorical question only made to point out that you can only get out of a system what you put into it. The citizens have not invested themselves into their own recovery efforts there nor did they invest themselves into the emergency preparedness system. I believe wholeheartedly that the American people will give until it hurts them but not when they see a people not willing to put back themselves. Look at Florida in years past, South Carolina, anywhere there has been a mass disaster-even for fucks sake San Fransisco. In each case, it was the people who invested in their own recovery and that's not happening on a wide scale in New Orleans and then to ask the American People to spend such an abominable amount for recovery after calling the entire nation who reached out, provided food, shelter, clothing, medicine and schools for those of your city-basically a group of racists... Your local government isn't representing you well. I'd say you all do have a long walk ahead of you, one that I am sure we will all be a part of. But before you go complaining about what we're doing about it, I'd say you need to clean up your own house... Know what I mean?

2. How do you possibly consider that New Orleans is going to be able to repay, ever what they are asking for in tax dollars to rebuild? Ever? It's an appalling amount. More that has been spent on any funding project or catastrophe that I can think of. And that sum is on top of the 100's of millions that have already flooded into your local economy. No, it's an incredibly poor investment at that cost. I believe that somehow there's another answer....

3. Why don't you consider writing up a short paper on what was asked of New Orleans before this disaster in emergency preparedness and what they actually did. Also what they adamantly said no to because they didn't want to turn away the local fishermen. Just give it some thought.

Goog
Ranger

Post by Goog »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

The man has spoken.
90-94 A co 3/75 RGR Regt (2plt/HQ/Wpns)
94-97 75th RGR Regt (Pre-RGR)
Graduated Ranger Class 2-92 "Merrills Marauder"
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Creeping Death wrote:
VAK wrote:LD, I got it.

And then I was going to come back with the fact that flood insurance not only protects against the obvious (flood), but it also protects against many other forms of water damage that is traditionally excluded from coverage on a normal homeowner's policy. Therefore, the premise that so many people were advised by so many insurance professionals in the area that they had no need for flood insurance, since they did not live in a flood zone, means that either the abundance of insurance professionals in the area are inept, or that he is just flat out wrong in his premise.

Not to mention the fact that insurance agents make their living in sales. How many people in sales are going to turn down business when the client has a definite need for the product?
CD,

Although you are using common-sense here, insurance companies traditionally play hooky when the time comes to pay up. While working in NOLA, about two weeks after Katrina hit, during Rita, I was in constant contact with the locals. Almost all of NOPD, most of the FD and EMS and regular City Workers. Of course being at the head FEMA site in NOLA, the JFO, I got to see a lot of moving pieces.

There is a lot to be said about the leadership of the City and the State. In my opinion, most of them are corrupt, despicable low-life's. They didn't care about the people there, fully realizing what was coming their way. The majority of the people living in the area that got hit worst, are equally slow mentally. It almost reminds me of the "Insh'allah" mentality.

However, to get to the point, a lot of people did get screwed - by the insurance companies. They did purchase flood insurance, fire insurance etc. The insurance companies, now faced with a gigantic payback are clinging on to every single cent. In the process, there is more fraud. Yes I said fraud. From them towards the people who honestly paid into the policies. They know perfectly well, that someone who has just had their home wiped out, with very little financial resources and probably a below nationwide pay, cannot afford to go into a prolonged legal battle with them.

Insurance companies are scum. They take your money when you have to pay right then and there, or they send you to collections, legal action follows etc. But when the time comes to pay, they take as long as they can and they will do their best not to pay you what they legally owe, if they know they can get away with it.
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

These posts are all WAAAAAY too fucking long.

If you think I would ever read a post that is more than like two sentences, yer fucking high.

:roll:
RSD 96-99
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Matador275 wrote:
CD,

Although you are using common-sense here, insurance companies traditionally play hooky when the time comes to pay up. While working in NOLA, about two weeks after Katrina hit, during Rita, I was in constant contact with the locals. Almost all of NOPD, most of the FD and EMS and regular City Workers. Of course being at the head FEMA site in NOLA, the JFO, I got to see a lot of moving pieces.

There is a lot to be said about the leadership of the City and the State. In my opinion, most of them are corrupt, despicable low-life's. They didn't care about the people there, fully realizing what was coming their way. The majority of the people living in the area that got hit worst, are equally slow mentally. It almost reminds me of the "Insh'allah" mentality.

However, to get to the point, a lot of people did get screwed - by the insurance companies. They did purchase flood insurance, fire insurance etc. The insurance companies, now faced with a gigantic payback are clinging on to every single cent. In the process, there is more fraud. Yes I said fraud. From them towards the people who honestly paid into the policies. They know perfectly well, that someone who has just had their home wiped out, with very little financial resources and probably a below nationwide pay, cannot afford to go into a prolonged legal battle with them.

Insurance companies are scum. They take your money when you have to pay right then and there, or they send you to collections, legal action follows etc. But when the time comes to pay, they take as long as they can and they will do their best not to pay you what they legally owe, if they know they can get away with it.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, however offensive I may find them. BeforeI make another comment, let me make it clear that I am not a licensed insurance professional in the state of LA, so I am not qualified to talk about the specifics. Further, I have not personally been to LA in the aftermath of the damage.

Having said that, I could not disagree more with your comments. The situation with the damage from Katrina and who is obligated to pay what is obviously a huge goat fuck of mammoth proportions. I don't doubt that for one minute. But don't let anyone out there fool you into thinking that the insurance companies can get away with whatever they would like to do. Any insurance policy is a legal contract, and the insurance company is held to that contract just as the insured is. The only problem is that far too many consumers purchase an insurance policy, and never take the time to read the contract and familiarize themselves with the provisions of that contract. Then, when a loss occurs, and the assumtions they had about what they were paying for did not come to fruition, it is everyone else's fault. I see it nearly every single day of my professional life.

Moreover, this matter is further complicated because of the catstrophic nature of the loss. Insurance companies don't have bottomless coffers of cash like some think they do. It is a complicated industry, and it can be very difficult to remain solvent, much less make a profit, at times. Therfore, insurance companies must buy insurance of their own, called re-insurance, to protect them from bankruptcy as a result of a catastrophic loss, such as Katrina. So, the re-insurers are involved here as well, which will slow the process down some. You may recall the fiasco on the news post 9/11 when the devlopers of the WTC were fighting a legal battle with the re-insurers over whether or not the towers coming down was considered one occurence or two. It took time. But, because the developers were trying to get double the money. They lost in court, and the claim was paid.

The point here is this; is NO a goat fuck? I am sure it is. Is it all the "scum" insurance companies faults, because they only want to cheat their customers? Fuck no.

I have a Ranger Buddy whose new home was destroyed in NO. He was located close to one of the levees that broke. The only way I could contact him was by text message on cell phones for a week or more. By the time I had good comms with him, he had already received his first check from his insurance carrier for loss of use so he could start the process of getting back on his feet. He was properly insured with flood coverage. Keep in mind here that flood insurance is subsidized by the federal government. The fact is that a lot of people were getting their claims settled before the fucking cell service was even back up. Of the ones who were not, I would look to whether or not they had the coverage at all before I would start pointing fingers and the insurance companies.

So, you have a loss that is going to cost more dollars to repaire than the 9/11 attacks. Some had a homowner's policy. Some had homewner's policies AND flood policies. Some had no insurance at all. You have private insurance companies. You have international re-insurance companies. You have governmental agencies such as FEMA etc.. You have a largely corrupt local and state government heading for the high ground. You have a declared national disaster area and the follow on money that entails. You have all of these variables into play, but I am supposed to believe that the people in the inner city, who we all saw on TV pillaging the stores after the storm, accepting the FEMA money and spending it in casinos, raising Hell on CNN blaming everybody but the Pope for their failure to take personal action, on and on and on, actually paid for a flood policy and are being taken advantage of by a private insurance company? I say bull-fucking-shit on that, Brother. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. I am also equally as certain that there cannot be a single insured in the area that does not have a valid argument against an insurance company. There almost has got to be. But that does not mean that the insurance company is crooked. There are too many vairables in play that have not settled yet, and too many legal questions that have still got to be answered before a lot of the claims can be determined valid and paid, or fraudulent and denied. Any CEO worth a fucking dime is gonna take extra precautions in a catastrophic loss such as this to keep fraud to a minimum.

But forget about all of the complexities of this particular situation. In its most simple state, most of the friction I see between insureds and insurers is that people think that if they pay a premium, their problems will be solved in the event of a loss no matter what, and they could not be more wrong. They have entered into a legal contract of their own free will, and many don't even take the Goddamn time to read the motherfucking thing. How fucking stupid is that? How many time have you signed a contract and didn't read it?

Some of the best people I have ever met (speaking of non-Ranger civvies) work for insurance companies that I represent. They hold positions from one of the Board of directors, CEO, Pres. marketting reps, underwriters, claims associates, all the way down to CSRs, and they all KNOW that NO insurance company gains success by doing people wrong. That doesn't mean some claims don't get denied. The ones that should be denied ARE denied, but only if there is no coverage for that particular loss in accordance with the terms of the legal contract, of which the insured is always given a copy, and can choose to accept those terms or refuse to do business with the company.

You said insurance companies are scum. I feed my family in the insurance industry. I put my family name and reputation, and all that that entails behind every single policy I write, with multitudes of insurance companies. Does that make me scum as well by association? There is another well respected person on this board who is an insurance professional too. Does he fall into the same category as well?

I think you are painting with an awfully broad brush, Brother, given the complexity to the situation and all of the variables that are still in play.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96

Return to “The Mosh Pit”