PCMCIA GPS card

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Ranger Crazy Mick,

How 'ruggedized' do are you looking for? Is it for the 29? If so, then I would look for a Bluetooth GPS antenna, and mount it on the top of my ruck or something.

I have one of the new Sprint Air-Cards and it sticks out like 1.5" from the side of the laptop. I would be affraid that something like that would snag on whatever and f-up the pcmcia slot. Give some more info on how it is to be used and I'll see what I can dig up.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Ranger Crazy Mick,

Here's a pcmcia receiver that says it is tough:

http://mightygps.com/pccard.htm

A guy that I work with builds moble command centers for law enforcement. I'll ask him Monday what he recomends as far as the gps and antenna; the re-radiating antenna makes sense, though.

If you have not thought of this, the laptop monitor mounting points are fragile as hell, probably even on the Toughbook, the screen needs to be secured just as the base is. I worked for my county's IT department prior to my current position, and saw so many broken laptops. The engineers and surveyors have them mounted in their trucks, but would drive around with the monitor up (which I assume you will have to do). That only lasted about a month and they were broke all to hell. If this has already been taken care of, disregard my story.

I'll check back next week after I've talked to the other guy.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto

Return to “Personal Gear”