Seeking 12-mile ruck march advice

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Gratefulhog
Embryo

Seeking 12-mile ruck march advice

Post by Gratefulhog »

Good morning, Rangers. Through your experiences, what is your approach for a 12-mile/3 hour ruck over rolling terrain? The course has a steep downhill at mile 3 and then two steep climbs that end at Mile 6 and Mile 8. Run over level ground? Pick up the pace on the downhill? Thanks for the advice, and, as always, your service to our Country.
A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done. -- Vince Lombardi
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

Fast and Steady wins the race.

Don't run if you don't have to. The bouncing of the ruck will take more out of you than you're gaining by having such a gait. Strech out your gait as long as you can, and make it as fast as you can.

Yes, it hurts.

No, there isn't really any way around it.

Walk fast, avoid shin splints by stretching (alot), drink water, and make SURE your weight is correct when you cross the finish line. Don't know what the march is for, but people get pissed when you complete the exercise in time, only to find you were toting a light ruck.
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Gratefulhog
Embryo

Post by Gratefulhog »

I'm slotted for the Sapper Leader Course in MAR 06. The weight will have to be correct. The course requirement is 35 lbs, but I am carrying 50lbs on my rucks now. I appreciate your advice. I'll begin focusing on stretching out the gait and maintaining pace.
A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done. -- Vince Lombardi
Goog
Ranger

Post by Goog »

Try training for the hills by biking on a stationary bike with your ruck on without sitting on the seat. You can also get on a stairmaster with your ruck on and not use the handrails. Both will build your leg muscles up for the hills. Don't get me wrong, nothing is a substitute for time with the Ruck on. Keep up your regular road marches as well.
90-94 A co 3/75 RGR Regt (2plt/HQ/Wpns)
94-97 75th RGR Regt (Pre-RGR)
Graduated Ranger Class 2-92 "Merrills Marauder"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I'll give my usual advice...Hit yourself in the face with a brick every 15-minutes for 3-weeks.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Gratefulhog
Embryo

Post by Gratefulhog »

I think you just gave me the mental picture I need. . . everytime something starts to suck I'm going to think of your advice. I just about spit coffee all over my laptop! :D
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Gratefulhog wrote:I think you just gave me the mental picture I need. . . everytime something starts to suck I'm going to think of your advice. I just about spit coffee all over my laptop! :D
I think you got it. I'll assume your avatar is an indicator of your Rank, I will extrapolate from that...You have a little "experience" behind you. With all that said the key to passing a foot march is training but more importantly and ability to ignore the bodies warning signs of impending failure. I'll go out on a limb and say that the average combat arms soldier would be able to complete the roadmarch in question with about 1-2 months prep.

To train for a road march you must train much the same way runner's train. Utilize a desired heart rate and train to time. Cardiovascular fitness is the oft overlooked factor in foot marching.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
T0000009

Post by T0000009 »

Gratefulhog wrote:The course requirement is 35 lbs, but I am carrying 50lbs on my rucks now.
Always a good thing. If you have them wear ankle weights, after you get used to the you legs will "feel" lighter and wont hurt as much on the course.

Same principal of the heavier pack.

Pace is the most important. figure out how fast maximum/minimun you need to move to pass then train within the margin so you body gets used to the strain.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

T0000009 wrote:
Gratefulhog wrote:The course requirement is 35 lbs, but I am carrying 50lbs on my rucks now.
Always a good thing. If you have them wear ankle weights, after you get used to the you legs will "feel" lighter and wont hurt as much on the course.

Same principal of the heavier pack.

Pace is the most important. figure out how fast maximum/minimun you need to move to pass then train within the margin so you body gets used to the strain.
Actually ankle weights will increase laxity in the the knee joint and could exacerbate any existing problems. You want strong legs and bullet proof shins? Jump rope!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

If you do any rucking at all, I really cant see where this is an issue with only 35 pounds in the ruck :shock:
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Slims

Post by Slims »

Edited
Last edited by Slims on December 3rd, 2008, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Greg700 wrote:If you are trying to really maximize your time rather than just meet the standard you will probably have to run.

When I do a ruck-run I run (not just a jog, but a flat out run) the downhills and I jog the flats. I usually end up walking the uphills to give myself a break because I am no super stud.

With 35 pounds you should be able to do this without too much trouble and it may help prevent blisters if you get those really nasty ones on your heels.

Of course, there are lots of people who say never to run with a ruck...
That's funny...your title says your a DEP. Thanks for finding the time to share your vast knowledge of the Army and physical training.

STFU!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Silverback wrote:
Greg700 wrote:If you are trying to really maximize your time rather than just meet the standard you will probably have to run.

When I do a ruck-run I run (not just a jog, but a flat out run) the downhills and I jog the flats. I usually end up walking the uphills to give myself a break because I am no super stud.

With 35 pounds you should be able to do this without too much trouble and it may help prevent blisters if you get those really nasty ones on your heels.

Of course, there are lots of people who say never to run with a ruck...
That's funny...your title says your a DEP. Thanks for finding the time to share your vast knowledge of the Army and physical training.

STFU!
My mistake...it appears someone has upgraded your title.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

My mistake...it appears someone has upgraded your title
The Franklin Mint is currently at work on the co-memerative coin.
Place your orders early to avoid the holiday rush! :D
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!

Return to “About Army Physical Training”