Seeking advice

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

devilrat35 wrote:I was not trying to give him advice on soldiering either, was just asking a rhetorical question in return.
Personally, I did not see anything wrong with your post DevilRat. You were telling the poster where you were coming from and what your focus was. No biggie. Drive on.
jd0328
Embryo

Post by jd0328 »

In response to Nyte(the pre-ban version at least hehe). Hoepfully out of spite you'll come back to read this thread and catch my response.

First, in regards to my desire to gain a solid foundation by serving as a Ranger first, I don't feel it has any negative connotation on my desire as a future soldier. In fact, I think it's quite the reverse. I want to ensure that when I reach my final goal I am the most well-rounded, well-prepared and determined soldier I can be. Maybe it's because I'm a little older than some recruits, but I've learned that the "best" way isn't always the fastest way. Sometimes you can't help but to dive in head first, but, in general, I've found that things usually turn out a lot better for me when I take it slow, get a grasp for where I am vs. where I'm going and prepare myself accordingly. Making the transition to military life, especially elite combat training, is going to be overwhelming; if I can take the time to acclimate myself, make myself a better soldier and better prepare myself for my ultimate goal then I will.

As for learning new things, speaking from the way I was raised and my personal attitude about how to approach training, I'll say this(and if I'm wrong someone smoke the hell out of my tail; I'd rather it happen here than in training). My job in training(any training- OSUT through SF) has 3 components:

1)LISTEN- Open my ears and close my mouth; there's a reason the instructors are the one's talking- because they know what the hell we're going to need to know and be prepared for when someone's life may depend on you. Also, see #3.

2)DO- Do what I'm told, when I'm told and how I'm told. Don't do any less and don't do any more. It's not like the Army dreams up training procedures the night before OSUT. When an instructor tells me something it's for a reason- and I'm pretty sure it's not for my autobiography. Also, see #3.

3)LEARN- As long as I follow 1 & 2 I should be fine here, and that's a good thing. This isn't the girl scouts; people's lives WILL depend on what we do and what we are supposed to learn in training. If a recruit fails anywhere at 1, 2, or 3 then it could cost him his life, the lives of his fellow soldiers or the lives of the people he is duty-bound to protect. I won't ever put myself in that position.

In general, I imagine that the elite combat soldiers of our armed forces got to where they are because they could do all 3 of these with great discipline. If anything, I'd be willing to bet a severe ass-whipping by the Ranger of your choice that those soldiers who make up the Army's elite combat forces are more than able to accomodate new methods of training rather than have trouble with it.
rbarrows
Embryo

Post by rbarrows »

jd0328 wrote:. My job in training(any training- OSUT through SF) has 3 components:

1)LISTEN- Open my ears and close my mouth; there's a reason the instructors are the one's talking- because they know what the hell we're going to need to know and be prepared for when someone's life may depend on you. Also, see #3.

2)DO- Do what I'm told, when I'm told and how I'm told. Don't do any less and don't do any more. It's not like the Army dreams up training procedures the night before OSUT. When an instructor tells me something it's for a reason- and I'm pretty sure it's not for my autobiography. Also, see #3.

3)LEARN- As long as I follow 1 & 2 I should be fine here, and that's a good thing. This isn't the girl scouts; people's lives WILL depend on what we do and what we are supposed to learn in training. If a recruit fails anywhere at 1, 2, or 3 then it could cost him his life, the lives of his fellow soldiers or the lives of the people he is duty-bound to protect. I won't ever put myself in that position.

In general, I imagine that the elite combat soldiers of our armed forces got to where they are because they could do all 3 of these with great discipline. If anything, I'd be willing to bet a severe ass-whipping by the Ranger of your choice that those soldiers who make up the Army's elite combat forces are more than able to accomodate new methods of training rather than have trouble with it.

very well said. I have a feeling that I still think like a kid on occasion(frequently) and these three things are I feel some of the most important things I need to do when I enter the army. Thank you for posting that its a must read(and do) for all us deps.
" Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind." Leonardo Da Vinci
I will NEVER quit!
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

There is hope for you guys, yet.

do pushups, anyway.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

BadMuther wrote:jd0328-Welcome to the site.

The rest of you fucking DEPs/Newts better take a good look at this thread. Think to yourself, Do I have a better chance of making it through RIP and to Batt with or without the help from the Rangers at armyranger.com?

If you don't have first hand experience, SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH. This was not a question a DEPshit should have even attempted to answer.

If it pertains to the military, and you haven't made it through RIP, you prolly shouldn't answer.

If it pertains to

1. Jacking off
2. Coasting through life
3. Watching MTV

Feel free to answer. But keep in mind whatever you little fuckers have done, WE have at least twice to 6 times the experience that you do at it.

We don't ask a lot out of you. Read and LEARN. Thus endeth the sermon.
I agree with everything Ranger BadMuther has stated above.

I would like to add that at any time I could have added my own experience but chose to STFU and allow those with better knowledge to give it to those asking. Ranger Spartan surely knows loads more than unknown Nyte Raider with absolutely -0- (zero) experience. Thank goodness the flush has been completed. We at this site are sure better off and won't miss your sorry ass one bit!
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Steadfast wrote:
BadMuther wrote:jd0328-Welcome to the site.

The rest of you fucking DEPs/Newts better take a good look at this thread. Think to yourself, Do I have a better chance of making it through RIP and to Batt with or without the help from the Rangers at armyranger.com?

If you don't have first hand experience, SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH. This was not a question a DEPshit should have even attempted to answer.

If it pertains to the military, and you haven't made it through RIP, you prolly shouldn't answer.

If it pertains to

1. Jacking off
2. Coasting through life
3. Watching MTV

Feel free to answer. But keep in mind whatever you little fuckers have done, WE have at least twice to 6 times the experience that you do at it.

We don't ask a lot out of you. Read and LEARN. Thus endeth the sermon.
I agree with everything Ranger BadMuther has stated above.

I would like to add that at any time I could have added my own experience but chose to STFU and allow those with better knowledge to give it to those asking. Ranger Spartan surely knows loads more than unknown Nyte Raider with absolutely -0- (zero) experience. Thank goodness the flush has been completed.quote]

Did I miss a flushing of a turd? :evil:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Currahee 3-4
Tadpole

Post by Currahee 3-4 »

Good God i go to sleep and Ranger Spartan calls in a full frontal assault and nukes a newbies ass,wow.Didnt mean to stir anything up just asking an opinion but i will make a mental note for the next time i get bored...bait a newbie,watch the fireworks.

:twisted:
A co 1/506th 91-92
1/327,2/327 92-94

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

The rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air........................... :twisted:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

RGR Luna wrote:The rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air........................... :twisted:
Sorry about that Ranger Luna - I know you missed a perfectly good opportunity to expend a few bricks out of your collection by weighing down a trashbag that contained a turd.

'No really, I was serious, STFU!'

'But Ranger Spartan, I don't understand? I didn't see any rules on this and besides, I was just explaining how it tastes just like chicken, especially when you sing and dance at the same time, like this.... watch, how do you like that.....'

KAWOOOSH!
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

:twisted:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
jd0328
Embryo

Post by jd0328 »

HOOAH! Just took my ASVAB this afternoon and end result = GT 129. The recruiter was practically as happy as I was; said I helped myself a whole lot with that score. All I have to do now is keep up those same kind of results and, before I know it, I'll be back here as one of you guys! I go to MEPS for the duck-walk Wednesday; even though it's going to be boring as hell, I'm excited to go get it done.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I like the idea, Ranger Desert Sloth :twisted:

I'll bring my plunger in case someone gets out of line. :wink:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Oilpatch
Tadpole

Post by Oilpatch »

Ranger Spartan, I undertood it before the topic came up, I understood it the first time you said it, and I understood it the second time you said it.

I'm not sure I would have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes though. And I'm still stunned by someone, let alone a self-professed Ranger to be, getting that far out of line and then refusing to apologize.

Maybe I am old...

Oilpatch

Return to “Recruitment Process”