Can I join the Rangers if I have surgery?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

buddylee
Egg

Can I join the Rangers if I have surgery?

Post by buddylee »

Hey guys, I really want to join the Rangers, but I am going to have surgery on my shoulder in November. I tore my rotator cuff last year, and have been trying to rehab it really hard. Unfortunately, the rehab is not working too well. After my surgery when I get back to 110%, what will I have to do to prove to the ARMY that I am ok? Do they even take people who have had surgery? If they do not, then I am going to cancel my surgery and just see what happens.
Thanks
Buddylee.... can't bust em!
Sniper

Post by Sniper »

Well I would say if rehab is not going well then do the surgery now, to repair. When you are 110% and are at the MEPS the physican should do some type of orthro or consult to check your shoulder to make sure it is ok.

Otherwise if you don't do it and let it keep going you run the risk of doing more extensive damage that could lead you to not making it know where at all.

Just my 2 Cents, but you and you alone have to make the decsion so wiegh it wisely .
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Buddylee-

Sounds like you're already having problems with your injury. I think that even if the MEPS docs give you a thumbs up, you might want to reconsider a career in Rangers. Once in a Ranger Bat., your shoulders will take a daily pounding like they never have before. I can't imagine that an old injury like what you've described would go for long under those circumstances, without re-surfacing.

If my guess is correct and you do end up re-injuring your shoulder, then (a.) the Army has wasted alot of time, money, and energy training you to be an elite soldier and (b.) you run the risk of being permanently disabled and possibly unemployable.

If you feel the need to serve your country, perhaps there are other ways (just as fulfilling) that would be easier on your injury. Some suggestions along that route: (1.) a different MOS, which isn't so physically demanding (2.) a completely different line of work, like law enforcement. The point is, there are many 'hooah' jobs which are needed in our culture/country. It would be to your advantage (again, my opinion) to at least research some of them.

If you're bound and determined to continue on your Ranger path, drive on, and good luck.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
buddylee
Egg

Post by buddylee »

Thanks for the input fellas. I understand what you are saying pig, and I definitely agree, but you never know 'til you try. So you guys are saying that the ARMY will still let me in if I get surgery? If they wont, then I am gonna just rehab it even harder and hope for the best.
Buddylee.... can't bust em!

Return to “The Mosh Pit”