Another Ranger Warrior

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
McD
Ranger

Another Ranger Warrior

Post by McD »

First thanks Desert Sloth for starting the thread on CSM Purdy and thanks Bell for giving us some insight into the man. I spent the night thinking about CSM Purdy and some of the other true professional soldiers I met while in the service. I never had the honor of meeting CSM Purdy but I did meet and was impacted by another professional Col. Robert Howard (Retired).
Here was another true professional who didn't just talk the talk. His name is synonymous with term leader. I had the good fortune of meeting him when he was Co of A Co. 2/75, and again in Ranger school during Mountain Phase ( I think he was XO there). Now by mountain phase you are starting to get a little whipped ( :) ). Major (@ the time) Howard gave a 2 hour lecture on near and far ambushes and immediate action taken if you are caught in one. During every other lecture I was in there was always someone nodding off but not during his talk. It was riveting and awe inspiring to say the least. He his explaing everything from first hand knowledge. Maj Howard (voice booming) "I have been in near ambushes. If you don't fight your way out you will die". What an unbeleivable guy.
CSM Purdy, Col Howard, my old PSG SFC Mattoon, and many others were the kind of professional soldiers that took the new Ranger Battalions our BN's and molded them into what they have become today. These guys knew what the training needed to be to save lives (ours) and take the lives of the enemy. They knew what disipline meant and being a professional soldier meant and how that would pay off when it was time to go to work. I remmber a lot of Nam vets in my company. Hell my first 60 gunner was a 60 gunner in the Marines in Nam. Who better to teach new soldiers than the ones that have been there and done that.
I think Bells posts on CSM Purdy and http://members.cox.net/rlhtribute/
Col. Howard should be manditory reading for anyone thinking of going into the Rangers.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”