Mystery Ranch's NICE ALICE frame

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Mystery Ranch's NICE ALICE frame

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Anyone using this adjustable frame from Mystery Ranch?

"The NICE frame is fiberglass and carbon fiber, linked through impact absorbing joints.
A springy strip of 7075 grade aluminum shapes the outamatic fit. Built to hold the load to you, and moves with you.

Dimensions: 12 1/2" X 21"
Weight: 3lbs 14 oz

The NICE/Alice frame Bounces! on impact.
Sizing
The NICE frame easily adjusts between back lengths of 17" to 23" this corresponds to heights of 5'2 through 6'4. This lets us spread the load across your hips, back and shoulders while still providing ventilation - whatever your size, whatever your wearing.

Mystery Ranch's Lumbar Wrap Hipbelt system -
The most stable and comfortable hip belt system you can wear - fits easy, fits well, and fits with one pull on the buckle.

Load Control
The NICE frame has 2 horizontal and 2 vertical load control straps that anchor any packbag, even traditional ALICE packbags securely to your back no sway, no stagger. The ALICE frame is 100% aluminum - rigid,
designed to hold the load away from your back.

Dimensions: 12 1/2" X 21"
Weight: 3lbs 10 oz

The difference this makes in comfort and performance has to be tried to be believed. The Mystery Ranch can make a 40 lb load feel like it isn't there, and a 60 lb load feel reasonable!

The NICE pack frame's shape and buckles makes it compatible with all alice pack bags and adds 3 sets of compression/overloading straps that let you keep the NICE frame and any ALICE pack bag perfectly stable on your back.

How Stable? Well, you can move with this system, not stagger, for starters.
The above image shows the NICE pack frame's Nylinear Mainframe with carbon/fiberglass stays exposed. The NICE frame uses carbon reinforced fiberglass for it's main framing material, laid out in a grid that can flex at it's intersections. This lets the NICE frame move with your body without sagging under the load.

$219.00"

Here are a few pics.
Image[/url]
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

24 people vied this and nobody has anything to say about it?
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

OK, I'll take the bait...

Nice leg ruck. ALICE medium's aren't too representative of what we'd be likely to hump.

Who in their right mind would pay two hundred and twenty bucks for JUST THE FRAME?

I'd say the combination of the two is why you got no hits...

Nice paint job on the leg ruck, though.
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

B 2/75 wrote:OK, I'll take the bait...

Nice leg ruck. ALICE medium's aren't too representative of what we'd be likely to hump.

Who in their right mind would pay two hundred and twenty bucks for JUST THE FRAME?

I'd say the combination of the two is why you got no hits...

Nice paint job on the leg ruck, though.
Ranger B 2/75,

Here's a pic of it with the large ruck. Does that make it more highspeed now, and not a leg ruck? All that shit I posted above is from the manufacturer's site; I don't know anything about it, so I posted here.

Now, does anyone know anything about this, besides that it is expensive and a gay painted medium can fit on it?

OK, I can't ad the pic from home, but here is the link:

St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Somebody's pissy today.
RSD 96-99
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

No way I would pay $219.00 for an ALICE ruck frame. For that kind of money you could get a pretty nice complete set-up.
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Ranger FireRanger,

In Ranger units, and conventional Army units, isn't ALICE the standard? I thought the frame was interesting because it was adjustable to fit torso length. Also, I've broken my share of ruck frames. If there is an adjustable ALICE frame that is more durable, I think it would be a hot item. But, $219 is a lot more than I could ever have afforded when I was in.

Thanks for the input.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

I am curious but who here was ever able to use a hip belt with an Alice pack anyway. Wonder what that frame makes a 100 lb+ load feel like?
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

Angry,

Was not trying to bitch-slap you. Alice was and still is (I think?) the standard. When I was in RGT - everyone had to have their stuff set up the same and customized gear like that frame was not allowed.
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Mystery Ranch......it has a Michael Jackson ring to it.... :lol:
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Mother_Benning
Ranger

Post by Mother_Benning »

I know a guy who bought it and swears by it, but he has not had an opportunity to put it to good use yet, so no long term verdict.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

The stopping point is the price. Doesn't matter how well it works if the price isn't reasonable. The reason the Alice pack have served in it's current status for so long is because it's an imperfect peice of gear for an imperfect world, any and all attempts to update it have been futile. FOR THE PRICE YOU CANNOT GET A BETTER PIECE OF EQUIPMENT.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

Its sexy but.... I made something quite similar. A large ALICE with a piece of foam sleeping mat between my back and the frame. Then I got a set of the slip over pussy pads for the ruck straps. Total purchase of 10.00 at ranger rags and I could pull the foam pad out and sleep on it 8)
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
B 2/75
Ranger

Re: .

Post by B 2/75 »

RGR_Dan wrote:Its sexy but.... I made something quite similar. A large ALICE with a piece of foam sleeping mat between my back and the frame. Then I got a set of the slip over pussy pads for the ruck straps. Total purchase of 10.00 at ranger rags and I could pull the foam pad out and sleep on it 8)
RGR Dan's approach was standard fare in BN 25 years ago. Company supply issued all Rangers a sleeping pad (this is back in the days of the CIF-issued rubber bitch) made of closed cell Ensolite foam. Folded up, it fit perfectly on the frame against your back, making the tendency of the ALICE to rack yer lower back because of the backstrap standoff from the rest of the frame negligible. Sure it was hot having the sleeping pad right up against your back, but then again, what ya gonna do, Terminate? :roll: Total cost: FREE

BTW, some of us cut off strips and used 100mph tape to make pussy pads, too. Cost: FREE
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)