RIP

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
BigMike1883

RIP

Post by BigMike1883 »

Sorry if that has been asked before, please know that I had no idea that it was and I apologize for asking you to type it again. I was just wondering what exactly goes on while you're in RIP? I'm considering a career in the military and if I join I'd like to try to become a Ranger someday. Any information that you have about what goes on while in RIP would be greatly appreciated, that is if you're even allowed to say. Thanks in advance.

Mike Carter
Bakersfield, CA
Spartan

What Happens in RIP

Post by Spartan »

Well - RIP is a selection process used to screen, train and evaluate those who attempt to become a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment. Essentially those who are in the course are challenged physically and mentally to meet requirements unlike any encountered before. They are taught skills that are standardized, more or less throughout the Regiment, including: commo, first aid, weapons familiarity, specialized equipment, patrolling and other tactical scenarios, and Ranger history.

If you can push yourself and still learn everything presented, then you could make it into the Regiment. However, be aware that only a select few do make it, like 25-35% of a starting RIP class.

A Ranger contract is merely a guarantee to attend the phases of training leading to an assignment. It is up to the individual to make it through that training. If you don't pass any specific phase of training, lets say you fail Airborne School (which you should consider a crime against yourself, since it is relatively easy) you would be voiding your contract and the Army can put you wherever they need you - it's called 'Needs of the Army'.

Good luck.
BigMike1883

Post by BigMike1883 »

Thanks, I appreciate the information.
Matt117

Question

Post by Matt117 »

Pneves, why is it that so few people pass? Is it because they are very unprepaired physically and or mentally? Also, I was told that by my recruiter that about half of the people that do not fully fininsh the training, drop out on or before the first day because they are just sick of all of the continuous training; is this true?
Glock

Post by Glock »

Matt, If your recruiter wasn't in Ranger Batt. take whatever he says with a very fine grain of salt. My recruiter tried to tell me that RIP and Ranger School are combined. What a fucking idiot. If you have a question post it here and let a real RANGER answer it. You don't need to be taking bad advice, it may cost you your chance.
Matt117

Post by Matt117 »

Glock, my recruiter was not in Rangers but he was in SF and infantry befor that, so I think he does have a grasp on what he is talking about (Even though SF and Rangers are totally different). I did post my question here so a Ranger would reply to it, lol, thats why I posted. As you can see I was asking if what my recruiter told me was true. I don't think that it would cost me my chance, I am already entlisted, I leave in a week. 11x with Airborne, RIP, and an SF intent (the SF intent really means nothing, it just ensures that I will be able to go through the indoc whenever i want.) Thanks for your advise though, too many people don't read between the lines and end up pissed that they signed themselves into something they weren't looking for. My cousin was in the 82nd for 6 years and he confirmed that everything I was being told was the truth (He didn't know about RIP though because he had never been).
Glock

Post by Glock »

I'm just makin sure your recruiter isn't trying to fuck you. Just tryin to give a hand.
Spartan

Re: Question

Post by Spartan »

Matt117 wrote:Pneves, why is it that so few people pass? Is it because they are very unprepaired physically and or mentally? Also, I was told that by my recruiter that about half of the people that do not fully fininsh the training, drop out on or before the first day because they are just sick of all of the continuous training; is this true?
Most will quit on the first day. As I did not quit, I can't say with certainty why so many quit, I can only guess. Others won't quit, but won't be able to meet the requirements of the course and therefore will not be selected. Some who actually do meet all the requirements are not selected for other reasons, although this is not the norm.

My guess is that since RIP is an intimidating environment, quitters cannot make the transition to the environment and requirements of RIP quickly enough. And those who cannot adapt to quickly changing situations do not belong in the 75th Ranger Regiment.

I won't get into all the aspects of why it is so intimidating, other than to say there are requirements you will face that you have not ever faced before. You should enjoy it while you are there and rise to meet every challenge that is thrown your way.

Good luck.
Matt117

Post by Matt117 »

Pneves, Thanks alot for your resposnse. I am looking forward to the challange. :)

Return to “About RASP”