Military Records (speed up the process)?

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Bugsy
Ranger

Military Records (speed up the process)?

Post by Bugsy »

Question, as some of you know I recently requested a copy of my unit assignments from my 201 file so I could prove that I was a member of Regiment, join the 75th Ranger Regiment Association and thereby forgo any problems during the upcoming reunion in July.

I recently received the following email:

Thank you for submitting a request to the National Personnel Records Center.

We have received your signature authorization for request number 1-xxxxxxxxx.

The majority of these types of requests are serviced in 25 weeks or less. We regret the lengthy response time required to service your request. We service approximately 20,000 requests each week and are working earnestly and successfully at reducing our response time. Our goal is to reduce our response time on these types of requests to ten days or less.

Thank you.

End of auto-generated message

25 fuckin weeks is too fuckin long, does ANYBODY know of a way that I might be able to speed up the process? Or is 25 weeks just a way of them covering their asses but the reality is obtaining copies is much shorter? Any comments from somebody who knows how this works would be appreciated.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Bell

Post by Bell »

I've done it twice. Just for a lousy DD214. The first time was 6 months. I never saw the second one. Been over a year. Getting ready to do it again.

RLTW
Bell
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I heard if you go there in person it is faster but the individual that told me that lived near St. Louis and was banned from this site as a poser claiming the TAB. Apollyon. The only thing he may have had TABBED was his airborne above his patch. RRDTm3 and Spartan brought him down on a conference call, it was a beauty watching master poser busters in action. A sight to behold. Kudos to all that were involved back then. Sorry to detract from your post Bugsy.

I really don't know by going there in person you would get your info that fast.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Steadfast wrote:I heard if you go there in person it is faster but the individual that told me that lived near St. Louis and was banned from this site as a poser claiming the TAB. Apollyon. The only thing he may have had TABBED was his airborne above his patch. RRDTm3 and Spartan brought him down on a conference call, it was a beauty watching master poser busters in action. A sight to behold. Kudos to all that were involved back then. Sorry to detract from your post Bugsy.

Shit I can't afford to drive to St. Louis to get copies of my military records for the purpose of attending the reunion. I was hoping somebody might know somebody who worked there or had connections to somebody who worked in records. The bottomline is that I should have filled out that fuckin paper that they give you when you leave Regiment asking if you want to join.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Bugsy wrote:
Steadfast wrote:I heard if you go there in person it is faster but the individual that told me that lived near St. Louis and was banned from this site as a poser claiming the TAB. Apollyon. The only thing he may have had TABBED was his airborne above his patch. RRDTm3 and Spartan brought him down on a conference call, it was a beauty watching master poser busters in action. A sight to behold. Kudos to all that were involved back then. Sorry to detract from your post Bugsy.

Shit I can't afford to drive to St. Louis to get copies of my military records for the purpose of attending the reunion. I was hoping somebody might know somebody who worked there or had connections to somebody who worked in records. The bottomline is that I should have filled out that fuckin paper that they give you when you leave Regiment asking if you want to join.
Why would you need papers Bugsy. Just fill out an application, tell them that you sent away for your papers. Then Register to go to the reunion. They ain't gonna kill ya for heaven sake. If you meet guys you know it will be worth the trip buddy. Don't cut yourself short on achieving happiness over not having the papers. Heck your old unit has a unit director.

Your unit director is:

HQ 75th Ranger Regiment
Richard (Rick) Barella
PSC 45 Box 1248
APO AE 09468
PH 011-44-1423-507480
Cell 011-44-7711-129772
Email: dabarelas@msn.com

If you don't have an application, I will copy one for you from Patrolling Mag Rag (75th Ranger Regiment Assoc. magazine).

Feel better Bugsy? :shock:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Steadfast wrote:
Bugsy wrote:

Why would you need papers Bugsy. Just fill out an application, tell them that you sent away for your papers. Then Register to go to the reunion. They ain't gonna kill ya for heaven sake. If you meet guys you know it will be worth the trip buddy. Don't cut yourself short on achieving happiness over not having the papers. Heck your old unit has a unit director.

Your unit director is:

HQ 75th Ranger Regiment
Richard (Rick) Barella
PSC 45 Box 1248
APO AE 09468
PH 011-44-1423-507480
Cell 011-44-7711-129772
Email: dabarelas@msn.com

If you don't have an application, I will copy one for you from Patrolling Mag Rag (75th Ranger Regiment Assoc. magazine).

Feel better Bugsy? :shock:
Thanks man, Barella that name sounds familiar to me. I'm thinkin if I call the place in St. Louis and explain the situation somebody might be able to square me away.

Actually I just went to the association webpage and saw a couple of people who I served with on their Unit Member Roster, so I submitted it and go from there. I think I'm good to go though. Thanks again Stead 8)
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Everyone has a LEGITIMATE reason for wanting copies of their records and to them, yours sounds no different than the other 19,999 requests they get EVERY week.

You'll just have to be patient, like everyone else. Think of it this way, when a business doesn't have the human resources to look shit up for a long time, and they pretty much just put your stuff into a moving drawer for requests that all arrived together, and they won't even be able to look at those until 6 months later as they clear out, make copies for, and fill previous requests, how will calling them on the phone help, except to further drain the human resources they are already short on?

It's counterproductive.

The smartest thing you could do is make a request for your complete 201 file so you never have to go through this again, then maintain better control over those copies than you did the last time.

You could just as easily have someone who served with you in the Regiment, and is also a member of the association, endorse you as a member so you can join.

Return to “Post Service Issues”