To: GEDS & Homeschoolers

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
AcesHigh
Embryo

To: GEDS & Homeschoolers

Post by AcesHigh »

:!: I Went back down to MEPS yesterday. After pissing in the cup... Etc. Got to talk to a liasion (sp*) I was homeschooled, and also obtained a GED from my local comm college. It didn't matter that I was homeschooled, I was classified as a GED. After letting me know she would have to call her boss to find out what kinda things were open for GEDs right now, I went back to the lobby for an hour. I finally got called back in and was told "GOOD NEWS!" We got you an 11x contract, with a $9000.00 quick ship bonus! The quick ship date was two weeks from yesterday. I nicley told her I wanted an airborne/option 40, and that was all I was interested in. After she literally got done laughing in my face, she told me that people with my case "A GED" Can't get airborne or option 40s and I was crazy for thinking that. I then nicley thanked her for her time and told her I couldn't sign anything other than what I wanted. She stoped me, and said let me make one more phone call... I go back to the lobby for another hour and then im called back in. "EVEN BETTER NEWS!" I got you 11x,airborne! I was waiting for the option40... It never came. She said I could have 11x,airborne and still leave on the qucikship date. I asked her would I still get the quickship bonus and she said no. She told me to think of it as I just bought my airborne school for 9gs'. So here I am looking at either: 11x,9000.00 VS: 11X,airborne - Both contain parts of what I want but neither have option40. So now she thinks she has me ready to sign. I dont. I thank her again nicley for her time, and inform her I want to do what is best for me and I need to get what I want. So I will go home and take 15 college credit hours to add to my GED to equal a "regualr" high school diploma. Now shes getting pissed and starts telling me how im ruining my future and how she had to pull alot strings to get me airborne and im crazy if I think I will ever get an option 40. Now after being laughed at and critizied... I get up call my recruiter and leave. Looks like im doing the college hours. AHHH! The funny part of this is: After she denies me what I want, I hear her from the lobby, congradulating another kid (My age,exactly like me, but he has a regualr diploma) on being the ARMYS newest infantry,airborne,option40 recruit with a 20,000.00 bouns. What BS! So to anyone with a GED, or HOMESCHOOL... Get the college credit hours first! It will save you some trouble.

AcesHigh-Out
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

well, dude. your choice.

you did have airborne and thus a way into RIP.

good luck in school.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

NOTE: all homeschool is considered a GED under the new education regualtion.

I'll update my information.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Phulano
Tadpole

Post by Phulano »

FYI - When I graduated Airborne 2 weeks ago, 11B's could not volunteer for RIP. They were only asking for 11C's and a few other MOS's. I'm sure this changes frequently, but even though you may have a chance to volunteer for RIP, dont assume you will be able to.

I would hold out and try to get what you want. It may be your only chance.

I have a GED also, and was told that since I have more than 15 college credits I was considered a "graduate" and not a GED. You may want to enroll in some comm college courses..
Shallow Grave
Ranger

Post by Shallow Grave »

PM sent
C Co. 3/75 Ranger Regiment
Nov. 2005-present
Ranger School Class 04-08

Adapt and Overcome. Don't whine, just do it. Don't complain, just do it. Don't put on a suck face and want sympathy. Man the fuck up. - Ranger Disinfertention
AcesHigh
Embryo

Post by AcesHigh »

Zach R. As of Oct3rd,04 the Army is now considering all homeschool diplomas as GED. Meaning you have less job choices and less options available. But with 15 college credit hours added to your HS diploma you can get all the same jobs and options as a regular high-school grad. At least this is the way I understand it to be. Hope that helps.

AcesHigh-Out
Phulano
Tadpole

Post by Phulano »

Everything you wrote in your last post was already said by SFC Hit_It and I.

Return to “Recruitment Process”