I need advice

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jstein76
Embryo

I need advice

Post by Jstein76 »

Hello Rangers

I'm 17 and my goal is to pass RASP etc. I am currently dealing with school and work issues making it hard for me to train so that I can improve my PT scores so I can go with a opt 40 contract but I do not have a lot of time because of issues relating to poverty/financial problems kind of forcing me to enlist if push comes to shove which gives me around a year and a half at maybe max to prepare for a opt 40 contract but if worse case happens I might have to just enlist without being physically ready but instead of a opt 40 contract I would just go with a regular 18B since I worry that I would not be physically fit enough to pass RASP.

My question is if I end up having to enlist without being ready would it be wise to enlist as a 11B? and use the time that I'm in basic and in my unit to get more fit so that I can then sign up for a RASP slot? Is that possible and Is it the best choice in my circumstance ? has anyone in this forum that is a current or former member of the 75th Ranger Regiment done what I just described?

Would that put me at a disadvantage of some sort? I heard rumors about how it is hard to leave a unit and how the 75th prefers fresh folks instead of someone who has been in a regular unit before, not sure if any of that is true or not.
I've been suggested to talk to a recruiter, is it possible that I might be given advice fitted so that he can reach his quota (if that is still a thing). Any suggestions?

Thank you
Carpenter
Ranger

Re: I need advice

Post by Carpenter »

There's a lot to tackle here.

It's not unheard of for people to full send and do their train up in OSUT and go on to pass RASP but in most cases it doesn't end well. However you're going to want to get yourself in the best shape you possibly can before pulling the trigger and enlisting so that you have the best possible outcome.

A year and a half gives you a good chunk of time to train up but it requires a lot of commitment and dedication.

If you're not comfortable with yourself passing Pre-RASP the likelihood of you passing SFAS is also low since you would also need to pass SOPC. (Also as far as I'm aware you don't get a whole lot of say on what job you get as an 18 x-ray, so no guarantee on being an 18B. I could be wrong though.)
My question is if I end up having to enlist without being ready would it be wise to enlist as a 11B? and use the time that I'm in basic and in my unit to get more fit so that I can then sign up for a RASP slot? Is that possible and Is it the best choice in my circumstance ? has anyone in this forum that is a current or former member of the 75th Ranger Regiment done what I just described?
From my understanding they are moving away from Opt. 40 contracts and going more directly into having individuals volunteering in OSUT. So this would be the most likely route to volunteer for RASP. Only you can decide if you're prepared enough for RASP by the time the Regimental Recruiters come around. You can never be prepared, you can only prepare. If you end up deciding you're not prepared enough but still want to pursue Regiment, then you could always go to a unit and have it as a goal to attend RASP. But at the end of the day you'll never know if you never went. Imports to Regiment are still common but there will always be more Bat Boys than imports.
Would that put me at a disadvantage of some sort? I heard rumors about how it is hard to leave a unit and how the 75th prefers fresh folks instead of someone who has been in a regular unit before, not sure if any of that is true or not.
I don't really have any input here other than that going straight in Regiment they'll be able to mold you more as someone who has no other prior experience.

As far as suggestions go you can still go and talk to a recruiter but they'll probably try and coerce you into enlisting right away. I would just make it clear that you're looking to enlist in the future and not the present. My personal experience has been that recruiters typically have no idea about anything that happens in Ranger Regiment but they can still fill you in on information leading up to the end of OSUT.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything and answered your questions well. Don't hesitate to shoot your shot if you have anymore questions.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jstein76
Embryo

Post by Jstein76 »

I am having a problem figuring out what/how I should be preparing and increasing my physical abilities in order to easily pass the Pre Rasp standards. I need to work on my pushups, pullups and especially my run time. Do you have any suggestions regarding workout routines/programs?

relating to the time frame I have it should hopefully be enough to get me at a decently well fitness level but if not what exactly do you recommend? If I end up having to enlist early then I possibly prefer then hopefully basic training will help me improve even more and If things go good and I think I am decently prepared then I'll volunteer for RASP if I enlisted without a Opt 40 or if like you said, they don't do them anymore.

Carpenter wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 1:51 pm Imports to Regiment are still common but there will always be more Bat Boys than imports.

what exactly do you mean by that?

I can't think of any more questions at the moment but I will definitely respond if need be.
Thank you for the response carpenter, I greatly appreciate it.
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

As far as workout routines go there are a lot out there. "12 Week RASP Training Plan" is a free routine put out by the military. However I've gone through quite a few 3rd party programs. Stew Smith makes free programs for running, sit-ups, and push-ups as well. I could list a handful. Send me a PM and I'll be more specific on the different programs I've used. I highly suggest you get a gym membership so you can begin strengthening your whole body.

If time ends up being an issue and you enlist earlier than expected you're just going to have to fall back on whatever foundation you built up. Consistency and dedication is where you're going to start seeing results. That means each night you're in the barracks you need to be doing push-ups, sit-ups, and trying to run as often as possible. Find a group of like minded individuals who have the same goal as you and workout together. Make it a scheduled thing and keep accountability of eachother so you can push yourselves and succeed.

Basic training alone will not prepare you. If you don't push yourself and workout on your own time your scores will most likely fall. I can't stress how important it is to workout in the bay on your own.

An import is someone who spent time in another unit before joining Ranger Regiment. So if someone was previously in the 82nd and joined the 75th they are considered an import. Bat Boy is someone who joined the Army and went straight to Ranger Regiment.

If anymore questions come to mind I'll gladly answer what I can.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member

Return to “The Mosh Pit”