Question about status of early Rangers.

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

VetJedi
US Army Veteran

Question about status of early Rangers.

Post by VetJedi »

Good evening Rangers.
If this is not the correct thread, please forgive, then correct me.
I question comes from pure ignorance of the modern Ranger organization and training. Really what I'm looking for is the general consensus and opinion.
Do modern era Rangers consider early (1950-55) Ranger School graduates to be Rangers or simply Ranger Qualified? The reason I ask is because the early Ranger training did not include a RIP or RASP program yet it was not yet considered a "leadership course".
The reason I have a personal interest in the question is because my grandfather was in one of the early groups to attend Ranger School during the Korean War. He will be attending my son's graduation hopefully on November 2nd (barring any recycle) if he is physically able to make the trip. I told him that he should be the one to attach the scroll on that day. I just wondered if the modern Rangers looked upon that generation as part of the brotherhood or if they were considered Ranger Qualified.
Thank you for any clarification you can give on this.

-VetJedi
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Question about status of early Rangers.

Post by cams »

Without getting into the nuances of Tab v Scroll, as this is not that (it’s an age old question), I can’t think of anybody better to be able to pin on your sons Scroll for him and I’d be proud to watch it not knowing any of you if I was in the crowd.

I would also ask your Grandfather to present to your son what is called a “Drive on Tab”, a Ranger Tab that young Rangers pin inside their PC’s as motivation to tough it out and get to school successfully.

These drive on tabs are generally presented to a younger Ranger by someone who has already completed the course and then gives one of their Tabs to the younger Ranger.

Hopefully that answers your question and my regards to you and your family for being squared away.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

My wife's Uncle was a Korean era Ranger. I met him for about 30-45 minutes at a reunion they had at Benning. Being around those men was an honor. Getting to speak to him was that as well, easily. Our history is not something that is simply defined by a tab or a scroll. I absolutely think it would be a great idea for him to do this. There is a chance they would want to recognize him as a distinguished guest too but I can't speak for RASP obviously...
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
VetJedi
US Army Veteran

Post by VetJedi »

Thank you both, Rangers. I appreciate the answers. They provided me with a lot of insight. I have personally always considered my grandfather a Ranger, but as I did not serve in a SOF capacity, I wanted to get some real Ranger thoughts on the matter. I hadn't even considered that they might want to recognize him at graduation. I knew that it would mean a lot to my grandfather, but more than anything it would mean the world to my son to have his great-grandfather pin him. Besides, I already took my turn when I pinned his jump wings on in late August.
Cams, Do I understand correctly that the Drive On Tab is something that he would be given to be motivation for getting to Ranger School after finishing RASP? This is a dumb question for a vet, but are PCs Personal Clothing? Today's military jargon has so many more acronyms than I remember having. Even some of the ones I thought I knew don't seem to mean the same. I think the modern military must have an entire BN somewhere full of officers making up new ones daily.
BTW, my son is now in week three of class 10-18 and we didn't get any calls this past weekend. No news is good news.
Thanks again, Rangers!
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

PC = Patrol Cap = Headgear

It's been a long standing tradition of either stashing it there or underneath the pocket flap on the uniform.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

and a PC was dressed up by us with a tab over rank if earned, name tape and cat eyes in the back, back when. because we actually patrolled in them, vs. wearing a steel/K-pot and flack jacket, and chem mask past _____ road in the training areas. otherwise, a BDU, or whatever back in greens... cap.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
VetJedi
US Army Veteran

Post by VetJedi »

Thanks for setting me straight about that. I should have put that together, but the memory isnt what it used to be lol.
Thanks, Rangers.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Join the club. Gettin’ old ain’t for everybody.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “The Mosh Pit”