After 100 Years, Are The Boy Scouts Still Relevant?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RangerLee
Ranger

After 100 Years, Are The Boy Scouts Still Relevant?

Post by RangerLee »

After 100 Years, Are The Boy Scouts Still Relevant? (posting 1 of 3 pages)

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2010/02/bo ... 00-years/?

Today, February 8th, marks the centennial of Boy Scouts in America. Over the past century, more than 110 million boys, young men, moms and dads have been members of the BSA. However, with such a momentous celebration at-hand, the Boy Scouts, in many ways, are a struggling organization. At a time when shows like “Man Vs Wild” and “Survivorman” are experiencing immense popularity and global awareness of the environment is at a high, wouldn’t it make sense that an organization like the Boy Scouts would see a surge in enrollment? After all, the scouting program specializes in promoting survival skills and enjoyment of the outdoors as its biggest recruiting tools for boys and young men.

But in the past decade, enrollment numbers have seen continuous annual plunges. Not as many boys are interested in the program and fewer parents are making the choice to enroll their sons in Scouting. The published enrollment numbers that the BSA share show that membership has dropped year after year, a tough pill to swallow for any organization, and the BSA has been accused on several occasions that their rolls have been inflated to enhance appearances. Even if you ignore those rumors and accept the BSA’s numbers, with just 2.8 million members, Scouting is half of what it was in 1972 when enrollment peaked. That means that Boy Scout membership in the US is down by 11% in the past decade and Cub Scouts have seen their membership drop by 23% during the same time.

While some of this can be attributed to more choices for kids - from soccer to chess club to year-round basketball clinics - and busier schedules for both children and their parents, those are still tremendous declines. Plus, the Scouting program has been dogged by allegations of discrimination - mainly in cases brought by gays and atheists. It’s been a tough road lately, with some questioning why Scouting hasn’t changed more to adjust to a new social climate. But is the drop in Scouting membership due to the materiality of its programs or to other factors? It’s impossible to say, but, perhaps, there is a larger question at hand: As Scouting celebrates its 100th anniversary this month, are the Boy Scouts of America still relevant?
THE CASE IN FAVOR OF SCOUTING

The benefit of any program can be measured by those who rise to its top. And, for Scouting, the top is the rank of Eagle Scout - an accomplishment that caps years of work, progressive leadership responsibilities, civic awareness, community volunteerism, dozens of merit badges based on learning specialized skills and (in most cases) countless nights spent camping in forests and wilderness. It is a long road and a difficult one, but - if a boy sticks with it and accomplishes his goal - the reward is great. He has been tested and challenged over and over in a way that not only gives him a greater understanding of his place in his community, but a better understanding of who he is and what he is capable of achieving. Over the history of the Boy Scouts of America, just under two million boys have become Eagle Scouts, a rank that is awarded for life. The list of Eagle Scouts is impressive; it includes a president (and several presidential candidates), representatives and senators, astronauts, many very successful businessmen, a couple of filmmakers, and some guy that does a lot of dirty jobs.

But what about the millions of other boys in both the Cub Scout and Boy Scout programs who never make Eagle Scout? Do they get anything out of the program? The argument can be made that - as long as you are involved, you get something out of it. The skills taught in weekly meetings or earned on campouts stay with boys forever. From Lifesaving to Citizenship, Scouts gain a deeper understanding of skills that will affect them for the rest of their lives. And in the case of some skills, like First Aid and Emergency Preparedness, Scouting is a unique opportunity to gain know-how that boys might not get anywhere else. In fact, from youthful Cub Scouts to seasoned Boy Scouts, boys are consistently showcased in newspapers and the TV news for saving the lives of family, friends or strangers, simply because they knew how to “be prepared” in a life-threatening emergency.

Scouting places a very high value on community involvement and scouts take that commitment very seriously, volunteering for a wide range of projects - improving public land and property, serving food banks, and assisting the elderly, impoverished and the unfortunate, among others. Scouting For Food, a project that collects food for local food banks, contributes not only food, but nearly a hundred million service hours across the United States every year. The Order of the Arrow, the Boy Scouts honor camping society, has an annual event called “Five Sites, Five Weeks, Five Thousand Arrowmen” where a thousand Order of the Arrow scouts descend upon one of five national parks to improve, clean and work on conservation and fire-prevention projects. All told, volunteer Scouting hours probably total more than any other group in the United States - more than 2 million hours a year by a conservative estimate.

Boy Scouts - and to a lesser extent, Cub Scouts - spend countless nights exploring and camping in the nation’s forests and parks. Environmental responsibility plays a large role in the program’s curriculum and campsite locations are left in the same situation as they found them, under “Leave No Trace” camping rules, if not improved upon by the group. Camping, especially for urban youth, is a rarity, if not unheard of. Scouting provides a conduit for getting boys - urban or otherwise - out away from couches, Xboxes, cable tv and computer monitors into the outdoors. With all the technology surrounding today’s youth, it’s not difficult to imagine a childhood where the outdoors plays a substantially reduced role. Yet, Scouting is the antithesis of a sedentary life, introducing day-long hikes, cooking over an open fire, and survival skills. The argument can be made that these skills aren’t necessarily important on a daily basis, but because they are immensely valuable in a crisis or dangerous situations - and because they really aren’t taught anywhere else - the fact that Scouting still teaches them makes the program more relevant than ever.

Scouting emphasizes a strong bond between boys and their families. In many cases, this is exemplified by the relationship between boys and their fathers, who are most often volunteers for the program. This traditional arrangement provides an ideal opportunity for boys to step away from their daily routine and not only learn core Scouting skills like orienteering, cooking or first aid, but also skills outside the Scouting curriculum, like negotiating the pitfalls of adolescence and growing to become men. Yes, these are things that boys can learn elsewhere, but Scouting provides a conduit - whether a weekend-long campout, a two-week backpacking trek or just a weekly meeting - where interaction with teenagers and their fathers is mandatory — an occurrence that’s sometimes difficult for many families at home.

Then, there are Scouting’s values, those twelve points that both brand and identify a Boy Scout as, that squeaky-clean, do-gooder kid: trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. For the most part, these are ideals that most of us want to see in our family, friends and neighbors. Scouting has consistently forwarded these values over their 100 year history. Peter Applebome, an editor of The New York Times, once wrote that, as an adult volunteer involved with his son’s scouting, he observed that “Scouting’s core values … are wonderful building blocks for a movement and a life. Scouting’s genuinely egalitarian goals and instincts are more important now than they’ve ever been. It’s one of the only things that kids do that’s genuinely cooperative, not competitive.”
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.
-Mahatma Gandhi

A. Co Fist "Rat Bastards" 2/75 - Oct 2002 - Jan 2005
2nd Platoon "BlackSheep" FO Type 1 each.
OIF 2003
OEF 2003, 2004
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: After 100 Years, Are The Boy Scouts Still Relevant?

Post by Jim »

Scouting is relevant! And I hope they continue for the next 100 years.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Even if BSA membership numbers are inflated at 2.8 million members... say it's half that, how can any organization with that many members be irrelevant?
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

I think if anything, it's more relevant and important today than ever. Kids aren't getting outside like they used to. They aren't getting exposed to the same things.
Scouting is a great vehicle for teaching young men self-confidence through accomplishing something and learning new skills.

I believe very strongly in Scouting and it's mission. I've seen the difference it can make in kids.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Given the matrimony attrition rate, I would answer yes, now more than ever.

Plus, little ole ladies can still use a hand crossing the street. Come to think of it, some old men on this board as well.......... :mrgreen:
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

I have two grandsons in Boy Scouts and two grandaughters in Girl Scouts.

Their parents are very involved with scouting, of course they are very active in raising their children properly.

Too many kids are raised by latchkey, television and video games. Too many lack any kind of guidance at all. Its no wonder that scouting numbers are down.

But I agree, Scouting in all its forms is very relevant. Good kids result from good parenting and good programs like scouting.
Last edited by al_2ndWolfhounds on February 8th, 2010, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
M60
Ranger

Post by M60 »

More relevant now than ever.

M60
1/75 Co. A, 2nd Plt, Weapons squad. 1975-1977

I still miss my old M-60. She was heavy and could be temperamental, but I loved that gun...
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

I was a Boy Scout for about two weeks in Florida, then I discovered girls.

Having established by non-Boy Scout credentials, I think the Boy Scouts have been pussified and turns off those who wish to join. My opinion is based upon doing demonstrations with the Boy Scouts over the years. When a Boy Scout has to have a roped off area, in a non-threating zone, just to be able to use a knife to whittle with, they have started down the road to wimpdom. This is merely one example of what I saw, however that is my opinion as an outsider. I imagine it might have the same negative effect on others.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Speaking as a current CubMaster, I'd say yes. But unfortunately in my area the number of members declining. There are 2 problems. Many kids don't have any interest in a lot of the activities in Scouting (at least Cub Scouts) IMO. The second is the parents. Everyone wants to drop the kids off for a 1 hour a week baby sitting service. Of the 20 Scouts we have there is a hand full that take part in any activity that is on the week end or involves more than putzing at the den meetings. One of the big changes is that you (parents and Scout leaders) are limited on what you can do anymore. Mostly due to liabilities/law suits and and the perverts.
I have to kick my boy in the ass to get him to do the things in Scouts he needs to do. He likes Scouts and enjoys it once he gets started but I have to motivate him off the video games to participate.

I think Scouts is one of the last places where you STILL Pledge your Allegence to the Flag and America and still get to show that you beleive in God.

Works for me!

(Plus I get to teach what a Double Tap is) :twisted:
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
fender
US Army

Post by fender »

I distinctly remember these two guys (that had been boy scounts) at my basic training that were rambling about how the drill sergeants didn't respect them and that it violated all the boy scout values. I mean I suppose they were right, but I told them to shut the fuck up.

On the other hand I think the boy scouts are an excellent, straight-forward, value driven organization that would be great for younger kids learning about respect/honor.

I was never one though, so I can't spit too much on the subject.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

My little brother is an Eagle Scout with Palm. That organization did more to mold him than anything else I can think of.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

rgrokelley wrote:I think the Boy Scouts have been pussified and turns off those who wish to join. My opinion is based upon doing demonstrations with the Boy Scouts over the years. When a Boy Scout has to have a roped off area, in a non-threating zone, just to be able to use a knife to whittle with, they have started down the road to wimpdom. This is merely one example of what I saw, however that is my opinion as an outsider. I imagine it might have the same negative effect on others.
Blame the fuckin lawyers for this and not the scouts.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I think it's relevant, but I don't like how it's handled here in Utah.

In Utah, the Mormon church sponsors just about every troop, so there's some Mormon indoctrination that occurs.

I do think as long as the Scouts continue the tradition of teaching outdoorsmanship, basic ethics and working with hand tools, etc that it will remain relevant.

I absolutely can't stand to see a 50-60 year old man in a Boy Scout uniform though -- makes me think Pedophile every time I see it.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

BruteForce wrote:I think it's relevant, but I don't like how it's handled here in Utah.

In Utah, the Mormon church sponsors just about every troop, so there's some Mormon indoctrination that occurs.

I do think as long as the Scouts continue the tradition of teaching outdoorsmanship, basic ethics and working with hand tools, etc that it will remain relevant.

I absolutely can't stand to see a 50-60 year old man in a Boy Scout uniform though -- makes me think Pedophile every time I see it.
Actually it's not just Utah. The Mormons are very intertwined with the Scouts, and have been since the mid 80s.

Despite that I think that scouting is more important now than ever. There is a disconnect today between us humans and the rest of nature that is only growing. Scouting allows kids who might not otherwise interact with nature opportunities to gain experience their families & communities might not foster.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I was in Boy Scouts and I hated it. I love to camp and hike but our scout leaders were lame asses. We did a lot of bullshit that wasn't fun, like stamp collectiong and coin collecting merit badges. Without the appropriate parental involvement then scouting will not be around much longer.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister

Return to “The Mosh Pit”