VA related Phone call

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Ranger
Ranger/Admin

VA related Phone call

Post by Ranger »

The below was received in an email and I thought I'd pass it along for others review and comments...
----------------------------------->
I just spoke to Patricia 206-341-8559 claiming to be a VA Claims Representative working overtime Saturday, July 5, 2014. She stated she wanted to continue the processing of a claim that I submitted in 2011 to have my spouse added as my dependent. (I don’t remember ever requesting dependency status for my spouse. (Huh!?)

Patricia asked for my name and DOB I gave it as anyone could get that. She then read me a statement.

After reading the statement she asked me what my legal name was; I have had a name change. When I stated that I had not yet changed my name through DEERS she commented that DEERS and VA don’t talk with each other. She also asked who my spouse (also a Vet) had been married to. This is information I would have given if I sought dependency status for him.

She then stated I would have to change my name before any further action could take place. (???; I’ve had many dealings over the years under my former name.) She then asked me to fax a copy of my SS card to her. When I declined and asked if I could hand deliver the information she stated irritably that she wouldn’t hold my claim on her desk any longer. When I called her out on her demeanor and disregard for the protection of my information she first became defensive making statements such as “We deal with thousands of these claims every day.”, “I chose to make this call to process your claim.”, “It’s not my claim, it’s your claim.” and “I read you the statement.” and then subsided to understanding after pointing out that anyone could read a statement and that didn’t verify who she was. All the while the pressure tactics to get my information continued.

At this point I asked where I could deliver the information by hand. After a long pause she gave me the address and said I could drop it by the VA Receiving Center. When I asked if I could deliver the information directly to her office she declined. I could only deliver the information to the 1st Floor and the VA doesn’t see anyone on the floor where she worked. (???; I’ve been to the Regional Office before to hand deliver papers which is well beyond the first floor.) I then asked how to ensure it made it to her directly. She responded It would be in the mail room and she didn’t know when it would make it to her desk and wouldn’t hold my file any longer. The only way was to fax my SS card to ensure she got it. I asked if Monday was soon enough to get the information in to continue processing my claim. Her answer was the same; it would go to the mail room.

Although she might be legitimate, I refused to send her my information. If she is VA Rep, she needs more training. If the VA is unwilling to allow the hand delivery of protected information then policy needs to change.

Can anyone verify legitimacy?
DO NOT PM ME
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: VA related Phone call

Post by centermass »

The phone number is a landline and is registered to the State of WA if that helps any.

Here's a map where the phone is located. Click on it to enlarge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Sounds to me like someone's taking advantage of all the bad VA press lately to conduct another money/ID theft scam. Would advise whoever wrote this email to not send SSN to anyone and also report this call to their local FBI office for investigation.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

1st off, never give anyone your private info or DOB over the phone. Right away ask what the Regional VA Office phone # is.
Here in NYC it is 1(800) (# three digits) & 1000 (can't remember shit).

cams wrote:Sounds to me like someone's taking advantage of all the bad VA press lately to conduct another money/ID theft scam. Would advise whoever wrote this email to not send SSN to anyone and also report this call to their local FBI office for investigation.
X'2 - I concure that a call to the FBI is the thing to do.

centermass, can you get a street view of where # is?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Steadfast wrote:1st off, never give anyone your private info or DOB over the phone. Right away ask what the Regional VA Office phone # is.
Here in NYC it is 1(800) (# three digits) & 1000 (can't remember shit).

cams wrote:Sounds to me like someone's taking advantage of all the bad VA press lately to conduct another money/ID theft scam. Would advise whoever wrote this email to not send SSN to anyone and also report this call to their local FBI office for investigation.
X'2 - I concure that a call to the FBI is the thing to do.

centermass, can you get a street view of where # is?
X3

EVERYTHING the VA does is tracked by your SSN. I find it HIGHLY suspect that they would need a copy of your card. The most I have ever needed to give them was the first initial of a last name, and the last four of the number. Not just for myself, but for anyone I brought there.

Calling Bullshit on this one..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Agree with everything everyone has said. As an example, I went up on line and requested my prescription be refilled today; I gave the first letter of my name, and then last 4 of my SSAN. Told them where I wanted my refills delivered, an they told me to go by and pick them up on Tuesday after 0900.

On the other hand, I think the initial poster may be getting set-up.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Post by Ranger »

Its not so much that the initial post is a person getting setup as it is a reminder and heads up to everyone else out here that this is going on. Many members here work with/for/near/around the VA and hopefully we ALL may get some first hand knowledge of what the VA is doing. If this is a SCAM then eventually this information will get circulated around the WWW. If it is legit then we will all know that too.

As for looking up a phone number that's pretty easy to do as well, again just information for everyone else out there and a pretty strange thing to have happen the day after the 4th on overtime?
DO NOT PM ME

Return to “The Mosh Pit”