A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: SF NG AGE WAIVER

Post by Ranger Bill »

RRDTm3 wrote:not sure you need one
I agree.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

you should get 6 months added for every yr of AD
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Myself
kildagin
Ranger

Post by kildagin »

I am currently with 20th grp. I am not sure how applicable this is to your situation, but we had a guy attempt to interstate transfer from Georgia to our company, and his Georgia was able to hold him in some way. I had previously thought that interstate transfer trumped everything in the guard.

With that said, I would think that to enlist into infantry or whatever else, and then transfer, you are going to need to be released by the commander of that infantry unit. I would talk to one of the full time NCOs at the NC SF unit, they should have dealt with this before, and be able to answer your questions.
RS classes 07, 08, 09-05
Currently 1st SWTG
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Concur. Go direct to the 20th and inquire there for the best scoop, not some local recruiter with his mission and priorities to meet. SFNG units tend to be overstrength because of all the soldiers like yourself in the high attrition pipeline.

SFNG units have their own accession procedures, they usually have a provisional training detachment to prepare you for SFAS.
Consider taking a serious commute as well - the 20th has units in VA & MD & the 19th is in W.Va.
When I was in a SF USAR unit way back when, we had members driving 8 hours to be there. 2-3 hours was normal. How bad do you want it? Getting there is just 'one more thing'.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

ranger joe wrote:So I talked to a NG recruiter today. He told me that NG is at 110% strength and the only way to enlist is for 13f/11B/19D MOS's. He then told me that the only enlistment options are for 6 years. He said I could go to an infintry unit and then put my packet for 20th group. Can anyone on here verify or dispute this info?
this guy is a fuckhead, go the unit (20th), show your face and a 201 file. There are tons of openings in Group..................tons. I would say that the recruiter is trying to fill 13f/11B/19D MOS's. By the way, there is no packet to be put in when you want to go to 20th, another point your recruiter is a fuckhead
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

Mentor to Myself
18Z5V
Triple Canopy

Post by 18Z5V »

ranger joe wrote:So I talked to a NG recruiter today. He told me that NG is at 110% strength and the only way to enlist is for 13f/11B/19D MOS's. He then told me that the only enlistment options are for 6 years. He said I could go to an infintry unit and then put my packet for 20th group. Can anyone on here verify or dispute this info?
Like everyone said don't do it. I'm in 19th SFG. Each SF company, bn has a REC (readiness enhancement company) training det...whatever you want to call it. You can enlist directy into the unit without changing your MOS. The only guys who need to do another MOS is when they are from a sister service and have a MOS that the army doens't recognize. Each SF Company has a tryout to get into. My unit has a tryout where you don't have to enlist to do the tryout. You do the tryout and pass, then you enlist. You fail the tryout, then you don't have to worry about being sent to local NG unit to spend the rest of your enlistment out.

The only way you'll get screwed by being in the NG SF company is; if the unit you want to be in is deployed and their Rear D NCO has no clue on the admin side, you'll probably have huge admin issues (getting a phsyical, orders, etc). The unit you're interested in may not even have a tryouts due to staffing issues for the deployment (if they are deployed).
RS 12-93
SFAS 06-01
SFQC 04-01
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Apples and oranges. Overall, the ARNG is currently at about 110% of authorized strength. National Guard Bureau has put out messages to commanders to clean up their records prior to end-of-year (30 September), and to eliminate all the "paper" soldiers they have on their rosters. This is an administrative procedure that brings them back to below their "current" strength -- Congress requires this each year. However, this should have no impact on you. The guidance you have gotten from Kevin and Justin is first rate.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Special Operations Training”