Foreign Internal Defense vs DA or SR Operations

An area to disuss Special Operations Training. Do not violate OPSEC
kkillert0fu
Embryo

Foreign Internal Defense vs DA or SR Operations

Post by kkillert0fu »

Growing up I always wanted to be a Navy SEAL. Now that I am older, almost 22, a little wiser, I've become much more attune to the idea of spending extended periods of time in foreign lands, which has directed my interest more towards the US Army Special Forces. To me, the distinct aspect of language training within the SF training pipeline speaks volumes about their mission and role in foreign affairs. What clinched it for me was watching the National Geographic special "Inside the Green Berets." After watching the show I knew immediately that that was the lifestyle I am aiming to live.

My biggest inquiry deals with the amount of time particular units spend deployed, or rather, embedded within an area of operations. The aspect of Foreign Internal Defense is what I am most interested in, and I am wondering which units are best capable to interact with indigenous populations for extended periods of time. What is the actual difference between units who are capable of FID and units who are capable of SR or DA? What is the difference in the duration of deployment of said units?

I hope am not violating OPSEC and would appreciate any guidance from somebody who has been there and done that. Thank you
Last edited by kkillert0fu on October 1st, 2008, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

You need to read up some more on this topic. There are a number of resources out there, not the least of which is the library and the bookstore.

I appreciate your desire to learn, and I'll let others more qualified than I on the SF route answer your other questions, but it seems that you are looking for someone to tell you "this is the right path for you". The reality is, no one can do that but you.

Dick Couch's books on SEAL training and deployment is good.

He also has a book I enjoyed (can't speak for accuracy) on the Q course, with a focus on 18X's.

The Company they Keep is another interesting book.

The short version of this is: exhaust every resource educating yourself prior to making a decision like this.....or, do what many of us did....just grab your balls, say FUCK IT, and go see the recruiter.

But remember, at some point you just have to make the leap.

Good luck.
kkillert0fu
Embryo

Post by kkillert0fu »

Thank you for the quick response Invictus. I'm going to read the most relevant SF book I can find in the next two days. I've read the Warrior Elite and Down Range, but I've yet to really read the most relevant SF book concerning what they are doing right now. I've learned a great deal about the many combined Task Forces which have been created under US Special Operations command. It is hard to distinguish, however, a relevant Special Forces book from just a Clancy-esque nonfiction. Anyways, I'm taking those last words you gave to heart, because I fully agree.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Invictus wrote: The Company they Keep is another interesting book.
The Company they keep was written about 3rd Group in the mid-1990s. I read the book when I was in 5th Group and wondered why was 3rd Group so fucked up. We definately did not act like the characters in the book.

I figure now, in a war time environment, they don't act like that either.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I would be interested in reading... in your own words... exactly what you are looking for in a career. Do you know the duties of an 18F? The duties of an 18Z?

I admire your interest... but you should focus a bit more on what YOU want to get out of your service. There is a whole world out there in Special Operations, that goes beyond the normal catch words that everyone is used to.

You mentioned that you want to learn about cultures and languages. Tell me more about what you are looking for... what is your view of what happens on a FID mission?
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
kkillert0fu
Embryo

Post by kkillert0fu »

GSXRanger, one word, Embedded, that has become my favorite word in the English language. When I think of a career in Special Operations I think of a day to day existence, where each moment of each day matters. No profession in the world exists where an individual must be as mentally capable as he is physically capable. Anybody can make himself intelligent, and anybody can make himself strong, but no other profession requires such a high degree of both. I want to interact with the inhabitants of various places, understand their thinking, their mode of existence. I genuinely appreciate the independence and autonomy granted to specific units. I want to be relied upon. They are the tip of the spear.

I feel deeply connected to various cultures, particularly in the Middle East. Because of the political turmoil and violence that have defined many regions of the world, there doesnt seem to be any other way to get out there except through military means. I want to help people as much as I want to get rid of the bad guys, but still remain morally neutral.

I've also become very interested in the economic structure of the third world. I remember reading a while back, I forget where from, that SF units even purchase their arms in the country in which they are operating because having American weapons would allow for their presence to be known. It might be the third world, but there is as much commodity flowing through there as there is in the first world. I feel as though Special Forces can have a first hand view of that, a view that no college course will provide for me.

As much as I would like to accomplish the above mentioned I also want to do a little run and gun. Another thought which has led me here is the fact that I realize every guy on every one of those teams had to make the choice that its what he is going to do. They accepted every possibility and did it anyway. As Invictus stated, they grabbed their balls and made the leap. I gotta do that too.

Thanks for the input
Last edited by kkillert0fu on October 1st, 2008, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kkillert0fu
Embryo

Post by kkillert0fu »

Also, would a college degree help me to get where I want to go? (ie, more consideration to get into a top notch unit) Or should I just worry about that later on if I find something that would require it? Any comment on SEALs as far as my last post goes? Do they do that too?
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Sorry I have not been able to get back with you on this.

First and foremost... please pay attention to the site rules. You are posting in an open forum, readable by anyone on the internet. There are small rules in place here, that are to be upheld by everyone that is a guest here.

If you are adressing anyone that has "Ranger" under his username, it is customary to address him as "Ranger ______". As in my name for instance... Ranger GSXRanger... etc.

This is a small "attention to detail thing" that every person is held to standard on.

That being said, I will prepare a PM to you, since you are very articulate, and you write very well. Hopefully I can put you on a path to find what it is you seek.

Just for future reference... go back to the Intro forum and read the FAQ's and Stickie threads again.

I admire your willingness to serve. Hopefully, when I send you the PM, this will put you in the direction you need to go. I do have some questions for you that need not be answered in a public setting.

GSX out.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
kkillert0fu
Embryo

Post by kkillert0fu »

Thank you Ranger GSXRanger. I very much appreciate your willingness to help me.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

kkillert0fu wrote:Thank you Ranger GSXRanger. I very much appreciate your willingness to help me.
Anytime kkillert0fu. That is what we are here for. You have a great start, based on your attention to detail. I sent you a PM, giving you a bit of my own background, as well as some questions I had for you.

Let's keep it there, until I can get a feel for a direction to send you. There are Men on this board that have massive ammounts of experience, so if I can't answer your questions, I can hook you up with someone who can.

Again, very good on you, for attention to detail. You are VERY welcome here, and will find more than support and help than you can imagine. Just walk softly, pay attention, and read all you can.

Mistakes are just that. We all make them. I think we may be able to get you the answers you seek.

GSX out.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

Go to www.professionalsoldiers.com.

Read the stickies, follow the site guidance, and do not post anything until you know exactly what you are asking. In fact, it would be best if you did not bother to post there. You can find what you need by using the search button.

I can tell you now that if you post anything similar to what you have posted here, you will be ignored. At best.

There is a plethora of information at that site, and I think that you will find your answers there.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
CamoWamo
BANNED

Re: Foreign Internal Defense vs DA or SR Operations

Post by CamoWamo »

Honestly, I like Green Berets . However I'm not as fond as there FID , counterinsurgency ops. I prefer the more hands on DA, SR actions. I hear that MarSoc has somewhat commited there people to FID missions and don't know if theres really any satisfaction in those types of assignments. I'm sure they're needed to a degree, they just seem rather consuming.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: Foreign Internal Defense vs DA or SR Operations

Post by Ranger Bill »

CamoWamo wrote:Honestly, I like Green Berets . However I'm not as fond as there FID , counterinsurgency ops. I prefer the more hands on DA, SR actions. I hear that MarSoc has somewhat commited there people to FID missions and don't know if theres really any satisfaction in those types of assignments. I'm sure they're needed to a degree, they just seem rather consuming.
You bumped a thread that's almost two years old and offer your opinion based on what? It's comforting to know your "prefererence" for direct action.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “Special Operations Training”