In Need of Knowledge

An area to disuss Special Operations Training. Do not violate OPSEC
Atilla83
Inprocessing

In Need of Knowledge

Post by Atilla83 »

Gentlemen,

Let me start by saying that I appreciate the valuable resource you offer here and I am hoping that I will get some straight talk from those that know.

I served four years in the Marine Corps. [EDITED TO REMOVE PERS. INFORMATION]

I deployed twice to combat in support of OIF I and II, first for the invasion and I am increasingly considering obtaining a commission in the Army. One of my goals is to become an 18A. Obviously as a DINK in this subject I am hoping someone can give the straight scope on the best way to go about it. At the risk of pissing any of you gents off I am going to regurgitate what I have heard and how I would like to go about the task and hope that you would be kind enough to BDA it for me and tell me how I might be better off going about it.

I have the understanding that my best bet is to become an Infantry Officer, however I am hoping to accomplish the lofty set of goals I am about to lay at your feet as an Intelligence Officer. Before I came to the idea of seeing what the Army had to offer I have explored other options and avenues in the intelligence community and did not get a warm and fuzzy. Eventually, someday I would like to do HUMINT work and I know the Army offers opportunities to do this as well. However, I still have an itch to "Get Some" while I am still young. Which leads me to the purpose of my being here on your helpful site. I would like to be an Intelligence Officer, I would like to go to Ranger School and I would like to go before SFAS when I earn my Captain's bars (again regurgitating, don't want to sound as if I am trying to be an expert as I obviously am not.) Spend my time in your prestigious community and then go back to the Intel track and wherever that leads. Earning a Ranger tab has always been a dream of mine as has the allure of earning a Green Beret.

Is this doable, am I s-ing in one hand and wishing in the other? I am trying to sound as unpretentious as possible here, I understand that is hard to do given the plans I just laid out as they are rather inherently pretentious. I have read as much as I can about the training and structure behind all this but I find that information for individuals wanting to pursue it as Officers is dubious and vague a lot of the time. I fully understand and comprehend the physical and mental trials that such a task would require and understand that I would have to earn all of these things through hard work, sweat, tears, and blood. I am no stranger to these types of hardships and and the mindset and mentality that would be required. I don't want any of you who have already done so to think that I am believe that these things are handed out because I don't, and I would consider myself lucky if I do get these opportunities. That being said my overall question is this:

Is this career path possible logistically within the Army's structure? Would I be allowed to do such a thing? What do I need to know to help it fall into place?

Any info that can be provided to increase my Situational Awareness on all this would be greatly appreciated. If any of my lengthy post has been offensive I apologize, but hope that you will give me the benefit. "He who sheds blood with me, will forever be my brother." Thank You Gentleman.

Sincerely,
Atilla
Last edited by Atilla83 on December 4th, 2013, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1LT 11A IN USA
C C0 (LRS)(ABN) 2-38CAV (III CORPS LRS); 1st LAR BN 1st MARDIV 02-06
Ranger Class 08-12
Atilla83
Inprocessing

In addition

Post by Atilla83 »

I understand that my post may hinge on violating the format of this forum but again, I am looking for info about how to make it happen from an admin standpoint. I am not asking questions about training per se. I just want to be armed appropriately when I sit down with the recruiter to discuss all this so i don't get any smoke blown at me. So I apologize if that is still a violation.

Atilla
Last edited by Atilla83 on December 4th, 2013, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1LT 11A IN USA
Ranger Class 08-12
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

you need to post an intro in the appropriate place, per site rules. that should have been your first post. after that, you may get a response here.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Atilla83
Inprocessing

Post by Atilla83 »

Dear KW Driver,

With all do respect I was replying to my own post which was the one at the top, the one in which I did follow the guidelines and was my first post. The only thing I can think of that I left out of my introduction was that I am 25 years old. If my original post still does not fit your standards maybe you could enlighten me as to how I need to fix it, seeing as I have read the FAQ and don't see what was wrong with it. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Atilla

Update: I edited my remarks here because I put my put in my mouth and acted like an ass.
Last edited by Atilla83 on December 4th, 2013, 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
1LT 11A IN USA
Ranger Class 08-12
LeoM
Ranger

Post by LeoM »

Before you get your ass dog piled, I will try to help you. Post your intro in the Introduction area for Veterans as requested by a Ranger/Moderator of this site. Keep in mind you came here seeking info. We did not seek you.
A co 3/75 2nd plt '94-'97
RS 10-95
Atilla83
Inprocessing

Thank you

Post by Atilla83 »

Dear LeoM,

Thank you for enlightening me as to my error. I apologize for my error and will correct it immediately. I would also like to say that my response to KW Driver came off a bit more surly than I had intended, and for that I also apologize. You provided me with the guidance I needed and I appreciate it. Thank you again.

Best,
Atilla
Last edited by Atilla83 on December 4th, 2013, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
1LT 11A IN USA
Ranger Class 08-12
K.Ingraham
Ranger

th

Post by K.Ingraham »

So Steve, who's playing you in the new HBO movie? :twisted:
Someday you LAR guys'll be selling autographs like the "band of Brothers" company. Once you've made the intro, tell us your take on the book & flick over in the Mosh Pit forum, if you're so inclined.

Welcome to the site, that was a good first post, even if it is in the worng forum :lol:

Actual useful info is in the inbound PM.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Atilla83
Inprocessing

Post by Atilla83 »

JLTW,

I am looking at AD. We used to run convoy security up to Fallujah. At the time Charlie Company LAR had been split in two with our platoon going with the 11th MEU to mess Sadr's ass up in Najaf and the other two platoons went to Fallujah attached to the 13th MEU i think out of Okinawa. So the Corps in all its wisdom split our Company up which pissed all of us off so we used to try to take as many missions up to Fallujah to hook up with our other half from "Warpig" up there. 1/4 never let us go back to the rest of C co though though and we could only hook up with them in brief intervals, we missed the big fight up there but got ours in Najaf I guess, can't be everywhere. We were in Karbala at the end of the deployment which was closer but still the same deal. Glad to have been out there with you.

K. Ingraham

I'll post over in the Mosh Pit soon. I don't think we show up til the last three episodes though. We leaped frogged with BN Recon all the way up the slot and then we did a joint raid on Baquba which got pretty hairy. That is where we make an appearance in the book (which I liked). More to follow in the Mosh.

Best,
Atilla
Last edited by Atilla83 on December 4th, 2013, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
1LT 11A IN USA
Ranger Class 08-12
Atilla83
Inprocessing

TX NG

Post by Atilla83 »

I understand that Texas stood up an SF unit in the NG. What are the options for officers in this circumstance.

I talked to a recruiter today and he had no f-ing clue what he was talking about. Told him I eventually want to go 18A and he didn't know what that was, asked him about MI or PSYOPS career paths and again lots of mouth moving but not much real word.

Again, I want to do HUMINT stuff someday but I want to earn the title of Ranger along the way and I want to do a tour with SF, while I am still young enough to eat rocks and shit diamonds, and while I still have my violence for pleasure seeking, I like to get smoked, Get Some, I'm gone take pleasure in gutting you boy, free the oppressed with the bang end of my boom stick mentality. Am I living on a prayer? Any further feedback from you other Rangers and GB's would be highly welcome at this juncture.

Fuckin recruiter, never any answers tons of buddy talk though, like we are gonna go snuggle or something, he has to buy me at least one drink first, damn.

Semper Gumby,
(same as BOHICA)
Atilla
Last edited by Atilla83 on December 4th, 2013, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
1LT 11A IN USA
Ranger Class 08-12
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Are you in ROTC? If not, get there. Go to jump school while a cadet. Graduate at the top of your class, get Infantry as your branch and you will get a shot at Ranger School. Or go to OCS after graduation, finish at the top and get Infantry, jump schoo and Ranger School. Bust your but in your unit assignments and go to every school you can. Earn selection. You'll get exposed to HUMINT in SF and can plan your best route to get what you want from there. In my opinion, that will be a better route than branching MI. But it's all one step at a time.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Atilla83
Inprocessing

Post by Atilla83 »

I will follow up on those suggestions JLTW. Also thinking about Ranger Bill's suggestion I am thinking about the option of going Infantry and trying to get over to the 75th. If I do this will I be a pariah when I start trying to bounce out of there for SFSA. As you said I will get some HUMINT experience in SF and i am a sneaky fuck who by that time will now how to get what I want and work the system so I can always try to lat move after that, or not but I suppose over the next couple of months I will have to figure all this shit out.

Also the recruiter told me about a program called SMP. He talked it all up and made it sound like the best thing since pussy. Is it a good route to get what I want or is it like most things to good to be true. He says I will be ROTC so it may help with Ranger Bill's suggestion of going to Jump School and then to Ranger School. If anyone knows some no shit info about SMP please clue me in. As always thanks so much for your help gentlemen.
1LT 11A IN USA
Ranger Class 08-12
Rugger
Ranger

Post by Rugger »

I have a few SF officer friends and they all tell me, and friends looking to travel that road that the infantry is over rated for SF. Yes, you need to be in damn good shape and you need solid basic skills. If you want to distinguish yourself have a background that brings a non traditional style of thinking. SF does not need that many officers so you really need to bring something to the table. You can get Ranger and Airborne in a lot of different units. If you are looking for HUMINT experience you might want to check out IO.

I was an SMP cadet while in ROTC. If you are not looking to stay in the guard or reserve they are not going to be very interested in helping you. This is especially true in the guard. The reserve has a slightly broader perspective. Be careful when dealing with recruiters. They all know the basics but very few of them know anything about specialized units.
A 3/75 86-88 Ranger Class 12-87

Return to “Special Operations Training”