SF NG Question

An area to disuss Special Operations Training. Do not violate OPSEC
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

There are so many variables besides the old army slogan: "FTA: Fun, Travel & Adventure".
Are you looking to make this a career or just looking to live the life for a single enlistment (with or w/o the commision)?
Our answers will depend on your long range goals, if any.
Last edited by K.Ingraham on March 30th, 2009, 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, I began my career as an enlisted soldier and then became an officer. I felt better prepared than most of my peers. With this perspective, I would tell you that if you want to be a real BTDT, become a career sergeant or if you have a unique talent, apply for a Warrant. I found that as I became more senior, it became more difficult to escape staff assignments. I served almost 30 years of active service -- and nine years of that was on the Army Staff (in the Pentagon). Lots of decisions for you to make.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

newsoldier wrote:WO's are basically subject matter experts in a particular area and their duties typically stay within their specified concentration whereas officers have more staff or "big picture" leadership roles as they progress through their careers,.
You are correct.
The SF career field includes warrant officers so this might be a way to go.

I've heard that SF might end it's direct enlistment program ("18X") so if you want to go directly to SF, NG might be the way to do it. On the other hand, in the Guard, once you've completed the Q course, you'll only be training on the weekends, except for when you're at the wars.

'Older' covers a lot of sins, the fuse is a lot shorter for OCS, plus your tolorance for living with 18 year olds & taking orders from NCOs a half decade younger than you can bite, as several members here can attest to.
Get in better shape, regardless of how fit you think you are. You don't recover as fast or as well from strenous activity & if you're over 30, that will be a big issue since you won't get the time to rest & recover in any of the selection or Q courses. The kids can bounce right back, an older soldier has what he goes in with to carry him all the way through. I overstate the case perhaps & many "old" men have completed all the courses, but they're studs who sweat blood to do so.

Anyway, here's a few small things that crossed my mind here at 0400 for you to factor in.

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

newsoldier wrote:My apologies - Ranger JIM...pushing now
:lol: Ranger Bill might chime in with his astute form of wisdom before the day is done. :lol:

RS 9-76

KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Warrant would be a good way down the road for you, if you chose that route. there are no Infantry Warrants. Aviation is the only branch I am aware of that directly assesses personnel from outside the branch. the other branches tend to be highly selective, highly competitive, require years of experience and almost exclusively one of the various NCO ranks with an applicable enlisted feeder MOS to even meet application criteria.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “Special Operations Training”