A Tribute to Darren James LaBonte

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Chiron
Ranger

A Tribute to Darren James LaBonte

Post by Chiron »

Darren James LaBonte was one of the five CIA agents killed in Afghanistan several months back when a man who they thought was an informant donned a suicide vest and blew himself up in their presence. The bomber had obviously given then some information before the suicide attack in order to gain their confidence and get them to let their guard down. There were five CIA agents killed in the attack along with two security personnel and the Jordanian handler for the informant.

Full story

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R.I.P. Ranger ~S~
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Re: A Tribute to Darren James LaBonte

Post by Chiron »

Another link.

Full story
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Don't know how many overlooked this thread, not realizing Darren LaBonte, long before he was a US Marshall, FBI Agent or with the CIA, was a veteran Ranger of 1/75.

God speed Ranger.

Condolences and prayers to his wife, family, friends and those Brothers that knew and served with him.

~S~
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Holy fuck. LaBonte was a mortar. I lived down the hall from the guy.

Rest in Peace, bro.

Man, I really just don't know what else to say.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

Rest in Peace, Ranger.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Let's learn from our mistakes here. In future, all such informants will strip down to their bear asses 100 yards from CIA interviewers, and will then proceed toward said interviewers buck naked until their clothing is searched. Only then will they be allowed to get dressed again. Culturally humiliating? Tough shit. Five American lives could have been saved through a simple precaution like this.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
BASE5NYC
Egg

Post by BASE5NYC »

I knew Darren in high school. He was a truly rare breed. Just a great guy all around. We'd talk when we'd see each other at different places over the years, giving me the broad strokes on what he'd been up to after joining the Agency... Always following protocol for OpSec. We had similar careers so we were always mission focused. Happily chasing the next bad guy around the world. What happened to him & the rest of the team at Khost was such an unbelievable, preventable & inexcusable tragedy it still makes me sick to this day. Trusting an unknown Muhj was just bad judgement although I understand what she was going for. Either way. It's done
Darren was a great guy, Friend, father & warrior. See you on the other side brother.

Return to “The News Dump”