America To Give Away It's Internet Control

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

America To Give Away It's Internet Control

Post by centermass »

You read it correctly.

The move means the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, which is responsible for interpreting numerical addresses on the Web to a readable language, will move from U.S. control to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, a multistakeholder body based in Los Angeles that includes countries such as China and Russia. In the event any facilities are relocated to China, senators noted, they could go in the same building as the agency responsible for censoring that country's Internet. "We have uncovered that ICANN's Beijing office is actually located within the same building as the Cyberspace Administration of China, which is the central agency within the Chinese government's censorship regime," they wrote, noting that some of the American companies involved with the transition process have already "shown a willingness to acquiesce" to Chinese demands to aid with censorship.

"While this is certainly not illegal, it does raise significant concerns as to the increased influence that governments … as well as the culture of cronyism," they added.

I'd like to know by who's authority and what idiot decided they could and should do this? :roll:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ameri ... le/2599521
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
RangerX
Ranger

Re: America To Give Away It's Internet Control

Post by RangerX »

America gave up its internet control as soon as everyone started signing up for Facebook.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: America To Give Away It's Internet Control

Post by centermass »

Well,

It's happened and no one so much as blinked.

https://www.cnet.com/news/us-internet-c ... s-numbers/
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”