US Army testing new jungle boots

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Re: US Army testing new jungle boots

Post by Sleepy Doc »

There was a surplus store just off of Victory Drive over by where the "Traffic Light" was. There, I lucked into an original, unissued VN era, green canvas jungle boot in my size. At the advice of the guy at the store (himself a VN vet) I took them to a boot maker, had them split the sole and take out the metal plate. Best fucking boots I ever had, hands down!

If they are smart, they will let motherfuckers use them in shit like Ranger school or SFAS, then see which one holds up best.
Bullshit. They'll test 50 different boots and pick the one made in the state that has a congressman on appropriations.

However, I'm afraid Tough is right on the money. When the people from Natick Labs came to test out replacements for the ALICE gear, (including the winner, MOLLE) they said it was the first time in a long time they hadn't done what Tough just pointed out. They were actually surprised that they went to the end users too try various systems and see what we thought.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Sleepy Doc wrote:There was a surplus store just off of Victory Drive over by where the "Traffic Light" was. There, I lucked into an original, unissued VN era, green canvas jungle boot in my size. At the advice of the guy at the store (himself a VN vet) I took them to a boot maker, had them split the sole and take out the metal plate. Best fucking boots I ever had, hands down!

If they are smart, they will let motherfuckers use them in shit like Ranger school or SFAS, then see which one holds up best.
Bullshit. They'll test 50 different boots and pick the one made in the state that has a congressman on appropriations.

However, I'm afraid Tough is right on the money. When the people from Natick Labs came to test out replacements for the ALICE gear, (including the winner, MOLLE) they said it was the first time in a long time they hadn't done what Tough just pointed out. They were actually surprised that they went to the end users too try various systems and see what we thought.
The MOLLE system was actually what prompted my comment. Every unit that tested it down checked it. I'm glad Natick came out and asked but our input had zero effect on the decision. I jumped that ungainly piece of plastic shit 3 times and broke the frame every time. The rifleman kit was basically a bad knock off of the system "Gunny" Barreras and Logan (Tactical Tailor) had put together.

This is the same nepotistic system that fielded an inferior, 1st gen, no development after prototype armor (IBA). The same committee should/could have chosen the 4th gen, proven in combat (Somalia) and constantly improved armor that was already fielded (RBA). Cost couldn't have been an issue there wasn't much more in materials and the RBA had to be easier to produce. To add the IBA fit nobody well and some like complete shit. I'm short as hell in the torso with 2" between my floating ribs and my hips. I wear a MED IOTV (length) when my chest diameter is fit to LRG. My wife couldn't wear her IBA in the USCG because her boobs are so large they had to TAPE the IBA shut. The USCG has gone to outfitting women with clamshell soft armor (fitted for bustline) for shrapnel protection with a plate carrier.
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

As I recall, Tough, the ONLY thing we liked about the MOLLE gear was the modular strap mounting set up. We only did a few days of patrols and felt that plastic framed shit was worthless.. Especially if you had to ditch it in a hurry making contact. It was far superior to the other shit they had us try, though.

I wish I had saved that prototype kit. Might be worth something to a collector now
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”