1st Air Force Chief Graduates The Ranger Course

News of interest to those in the Ranger and Special Operations Community. News is generated and placed here from the front page of ArmyRanger.com

Moderator: Site Admin

centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

1st Air Force Chief Graduates The Ranger Course

Post by centermass »

Chief Master Sgt. William "Ryan" Speck graduated Army Ranger School at Fort Benning, Georgia, April 22, the first Air Force Chief ever to graduate from Ranger School.

“I always had aspirations of attending Ranger School, back when I was a much younger Security Forces member in the mid-90s, however the opportunity never presented itself, that is, until about six months ago when I got the go-ahead to attend, ” Speck said. “At the age of 39, the desire was still strong, but at this stage of my career it wasn’t just for the thrill-seeking part that comes with the training, it was more to gain a better understanding of the Ranger mission set.”

The Dayton, Texas, native is currently serving as the U.S. Special Operations Command’s J6 Operations Superintendent where he supports the Rangers on a daily basis with their communications requirements.

“I had the privilege prior to Ranger School to fill in as the deployed regimental J6 sergeant major, where I learned and experienced a great deal, to include picking up on some of the communication challenges the Rangers are faced with on the tactical edge,” said Speck. “Although the deployment was a success, I felt it was important in my position to gain a better understanding of the dynamics and experience first-hand what it’s like to be a Ranger, so I jumped on the opportunity to go to Ranger School and make my lifelong dream a reality.”

Speck started Ranger School weighing 194 pounds. By graduation, he weighed just 155. Out of 360 students, he was one of only 90 who graduated. The weight loss resulted from the daunting physical aspects of the course, but the real challenge was mental, caused by sleep deprivation and constant hunger.

The Dayton, Texas, native is currently serving as the U.S. Special Operations Command’s J6 Operations Superintendent where he supports the Rangers on a daily basis with their communications requirements.

“I don’t want to just wear the Ranger Tab, I want to give back,” said Speck. “Since my return, I’ve had numerous Airmen, including joint service members, reach out to me to gain more insight on my experiences in the hopes of one day earning their own Ranger Tab. It is my goal for those who really want it, to make their dream a reality, just like my leadership did for me.”
Speck.jpg
Full Story
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “Ranger, SOF and Military News”