SITREP- Ambrose26

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Ambrose26
Future Soldier / Opt40

SITREP- Ambrose26

Post by Ambrose26 »

Rangers,

I am currently sitting in the USO at the airport waiting to ship to Fort Jackson. To be honest I had a very weird feeling leaving my family, but the longer I sit and wait the more eager I get. Im ready to attack life and give this my all. I failed to complete my entire task list, but if it is alright with the Rangers on This forum, I would like to continue progress on my thread. I will keep you updated on my progress, but I dont know the next time I will get my phone. Finally I would like to say thank you for all of the help you have given me.

-Dylan
13f Opt. 40
Ship Date: 2017/08/01
Ambrose26
Future Soldier / Opt40

Re: SITREP- Ambrose26

Post by Ambrose26 »

Rangers,

I graduated basic training at Ft. Jackson on 10/13/2017. Overall like other Rangers and mentees have said, you are a shark in a sea of minnows. Mentally and physically I was one of the most prepared there. The discipline level was exactly what I expected. The vast majority consisted of shitbags, and everyone seemed to lack initiative and drive. I did however run into other Option 40 canidates, but most didn't even know what RASP was. They all talked about Ranger School, and it seemed the only research they did was watching "Surviving the Cut". There were however a few that knew the basics. Two of them are highly driven 13F's that I have been helping to square away. I'm currently going to help them set up their accounts on ArmyRanger.com. Otherwise basic was easy. The PT seemed extremely light, and there weren't many challenges. It bothered me that the drill sergeants didnt care about discipline, and that after two weeks all hopes of disciplined soldiers went out the window.

I feel as though I did my part to meet the standard. While everyone else was messing around and doing the wrong thing, I strived to do the right thing. To any mentees that read this, dont listen to those who say drill sergeants shouldn't know your name. I was rewarded for having integrity, and I made sure I was on every detail possible, even if it was for other platoons. My sergeants would talk about me and say that I was squared away. Don't let this go to your head though. Everything I did, I did without expecting praise or to be noticed. When I was the only one doing the right thing I would notice others start to mimic and follow me and do the right thing as well. Be a quiet alpha and your actions will speak louder than words. Even when it feels like there is no point to standing at attention because everyone else is messing around ,there is. We should never conform to lower standards. Meet the standard and excell and others will follow to obtain what you have. The drill sergeants will also respect you and talk to you like an adult. My drill sergeant respected me and knew that I could lead, so he put me in charge of nearly every detail, multiple were company sized. This doesnt mean slack off though and bark orders. I always made sure I had the hardest job and that I was doing the most. Others saw this and wanted to work harder for me. Overall I did truly enjoy basic. I was able to help a lot of people, and learn a lot while also physically preparing. I was promoted from PVT to PV2 and an honor grad.

Currently I am at Ft. Sill as a hold under waiting to class up. We wake up do PT, and then sit around all day doing nothing. My phone has been useless due to poor reception, and I am currently using my battle buddy's phone. To make use of the time we do pull ups in the doorway, and PT in the barracks. We run almost every day before final formation doing 400 meter sprints or 60/120's. Academically we read the Ranger Handbook, and Sua Sponte. When I am able to access the internet more I will have them dive into the forums.As of today I am extremely driven and loving the Army. I get more amped the closer I get to RASP, and I am looking forward to everything that comes my way.

-Dylan
13f Opt. 40
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Dylan, great to hear all of this. You get it. Others don't. Drive on, stay motivated and good luck to you.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dylan, looking forward to seeing great things from you. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Ambrose26 wrote: October 26th, 2017, 7:56 am Be a quiet alpha and your actions will speak louder than words.
Great update Dylan. And this sentence is a great attitude to have... for now. Learn to follow but at some point you will need to lead. Be ready for when that comes because it will be sooner than you think.

Those few other Opt40's you are trying to help out, make sure you guys stick together if you can moving forward. It was really helpful for a group of us that pushed through. We had a few guys washout or quit but the strength of the group was something I won't soon forget.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Good sitrep, Dylan . . .continue to stay focued on your goal.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Noticed you were on the site today. Please update your SITREP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ambrose26
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ambrose26 »

Rangers,

Currently we are on a four day weekend. I decided to stay in rather than go out and waste money on impulsive buys and poor food choices. I am still maintaining discipline, and people have been noticing more and more. There is even talk of making me the student First Sergeant. People tend to look at me standing at parade rest or attention and they start to call my name and see if I will break discipline, but I just stand there and do what I know I'm supposed to be doing. I am also being noticed by my peers for doing my part in the platoon and in the battery. Unlike most people here, when we are told to clean AO's I actually go out and do it, I even sometimes clean others AO's. I do it so often that the personnel who make fire guard lists leave me off of it. Overall I am doing the same thing that I did in basic training. I don't brag, or talk shit. I run to be on every detail, and no matter how hard it is I put a smile on my face. I was put in a leadership position the other day after land navigation, and instead of go on a bus back to the barracks early, I made sure that I stayed back with them and sat out in 40 degree weather with a 15mph wind-chill. Don't get me wrong, I froze my ass off and shivered for four hours straight, but I made sure I was the last one to leave, and I made sure I had the worst job out of the jobs given. To me this is one of the most important things. If I don't have the respect of the people that I am with, then they wont trust me, and therefore I wont ever be able to lead. I have seen it time and time again, where someone is put in charge and they start barking orders, but nobody listens, because that person has not shown that they themselves can take orders or are willing to do their one hundred percent and then some.

As far as training goes, tomorrow we take a test using the SINCGAR radio system. On Wednesday we have a twelve mile ruck in full combat load, and my Opt. 40 battle buddies and I will be trying to finish it in Ranger standards. After the ruck we have to drag a 270lb fake body and also pick a 200lb body out of a Stryker for testing. The day also consists of water can carries and sandbag carries. I also had my two battle buddies create accounts on the forum. There has also been an update on our training. Instead of 8 weeks our AIT is now 10 weeks, due to the incorporation of a JFO course. I am looking forward to this, because it will help me when I get to Regiment, and I will be able to hit the ground running instead of having to learn the foundations to an all new course as a member of a FIST team. As always, I am as motivated as ever, and I am more ready each day to take on Rasp and earn my slot in Regiment.

-Dylan
13f Opt. 40
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Dylan, good to hear from you and good sitrep.

I appreciate the hard core attitude, but a word of advice is to don't do anything that gets you sick or injured unnecessarily, stay healthy for what's coming up next.

Good luck and keep us updated.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Agreed, good update. I'd be interested to hear from you on what the JFO weeks looked like. Last time I was at Fort Sill I told them it was a bad idea to make everyone into a JFO but what do I know. On its face it is a good idea - all 13F's should be able to do what is required of them in the JFO school house, so make them all JFOs to start with. They should still teach you guys in the Domeij building. Make sure to figure out who he is if you don't know.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Ambrose26
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ambrose26 »

Rangers,

Currently I am sitting in an airport terminal waiting to go on HBL. Im going to take advice from numerous Rangers on this forum and not let women, drugs, or alcohol cloud my judgement or jeopardize my slot in RASP. As far as training goes, I have not yet started JFO Ranger Disinfertention, but I will let you know how it is when I start class. I was made a Student First Sergeant a month ago, which means im now in command of 330+ soldiers in AIT. It is a good leadership position, and comes with a lot of responsibility. The best way that it has benifitted me is that I have been getting a taste of leadership, and have also been learning from the mistakes I make and making sure that I dont make the same mistake twice. Ive heard from my NCO's and also my soldiers that I am doing a good job. I am also looking at being promototed early again to PFC. Other than that things here haven't been very eventful. In class we are learning to use PFEDs and LLDRs to call for fire.

-Dylan
13f Opt. 40
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Thanks for the post Dylan, enjoy your time off. Make sure you do some PT while you are home even though that will be challenging.

Own your extra task of being the Student 1SG. I've gotten thrown into that a few times over the years and it sucks but it's not a bad experience overall in hindsight.

Just like when I went to AIT, the stuff they are training you on is trash. But it's what many of the units have. Fire Support is a technology game as much as it is a human game. Keep that in mind and provide good feeback at the course to what they can show you guys to improve.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Dylan, you should be back in the swing of things from HBL. Are you still the student 1SG or did you find yourself out of a job on return!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Ambrose26
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ambrose26 »

Ranger Disinfertention,

I am now back from HBL. I made sure to keep myself out of trouble and not get caught up in the temptations of civilian life. I said hi to family and my teachers, and made sure to avoid anyone that would put me in a situation that would compromise my contract. As far as student 1SG, I hit the ground running and immediately snapped back into the professionalism needed to do the job, and I am now once again excelling. As far as training goes, we start our two week JFO class tomorrow. I'm highly motivated for the class, because I know it will be one of the most fundamental classes that I take that will help me in regiment. Overall I am doing well, and am still driven to earn my spot in the 75th.

-Dylan
13f Opt. 40
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

I know I have mentioned this but I think you are the first or second person to hit this JFO section. I'd be interested to know the topics covered. You're welcome to PM me that stuff if you don't want to flood your post here. This is not an assignment and you should only do it if you have the spare time. Being in AIT is your priority.

Glad you made it back and are still in your leadership position. Don't be surprised if they boot you from it to give someone else a chance too.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Letters from School”