SITREP - Andrew

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
LionsDen
Ranger

SITREP - Andrew

Post by LionsDen »

Rangers,

I am currently at the MEPS hotel. I've been spending the last month working out, but more importantly, spending time with all of my family and friends. My roomate is a prior service Ranger from RSTB. He was a 35F, so it's been really interesting to talk to a Ranger in Intelligence. He was the RASP class after the Discovery documentary, and was, in Pre-RASP, bunkmates with the guy who got caught sleeping at Cole Range.

Overall, I'm rearing to go. I've said my goodbyes and I'm looking forward now. Thank you to all the Rangers on this site for helping out us, the Mentees.
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP - Andrew

Post by Jim »

Andrew, we expect great things from you. Please keep us advised of your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
LionsDen
Ranger

Post by LionsDen »

Rangers,

I am pleased to report I graduated BCT today. I graduated both an honor grad and with a promotion to PFC.

My final PT score was:
Push up - 76
Sit up - 84
2 mile - 11:16
Score (extended) - 329

I scored a 29/40 on M4 qualifications.

A quick overview for my fellow POG DEPs who may be going to Ft. Sill:

95th AG: Like any reception, it's intensely boring and probably one of the worst parts of BCT. Be prepared to break your boots into the position of attention and do 5 pushups infrequently. Just keep your head down and realize you're not special, as well as they have to inprocess everybody so whether you're at the front or back of the line really doesn't matter.

A 1/19: BCT will amaze you in all the wrong ways. One female in my class couldn't bring herself to run faster than a 21 minute 2 mile and got sent home week 9. If that doesn't explain the quality of some people at BCT, then I don't know what will. If you read the other Letters From School, you'll know exactly what BCT is like; They all apply to Ft. Sill, even those written about Ft. Benning. 25% of your platoon will likely be utter shit. Unmotivated, weak, whining dirtbags who will constantly get you in trouble. 60% will be normal people who don't stand out in any way and just skate by. The last 15% are the people you want to be with. You won't know until white phase who the truly motivated ones are; Who isn't a spotlighter. My closest brother from BCT was someone who always volunteered for extra details with me and ran about 10 seconds slower than me, so we raced everywhere and paced each other on the 2 mile.

Our battery was the first to implement groups for PRT. Those who were 70% in Pushups and Situps got Alpha group in MSE (Muscular Strength and Endurance) and a 70% on the 2 mile got you Alpha group in AGRs (Ability Group Runs). I had Alpha group in both MSE and AGR from Day 1, so I got the full experience. It's really nice because the Drill Sergeants are allowed to do a lot more with you, and we get higher repetitions and faster runs. My advice is ensure you get into both Alpha groups ASAP.

As I wrote in my synopsis of the Letters From School a while back, BCT is 100% what you make of it. If you eat like shit in the DFAC and don't push yourself on 30/60s, 60/120s, and Pushup/Situp drills, you won't improve in PT. You'll pass just barely. But if you do your best all the time, you'll find the Drill Sergeants recognize that and occasionally reward you. I got chosen to represent my platoon at a Brigade-level AAR with the Brigade CSM. He gave us lots of awesome advice and when he sat down with us scared-looking Privates semi-casually, it really surprised us. I was the first PG (Platoon Guide) and was PG until the end of Week 5. I promise, be humble, let your actions speak for themselves, and give 100%, and you'll find good things occasionally come your way.

Peer reviews are a killer. You'll get peer reviews at the end of red and white phase, and enough bad reviews will get you counseled and you'll become a prime candidate for a Chapter.

Every cycle they tell you not to fraternize with the females, and every cycle some dumbass does it. One person got chaptered, one person got a field grade Article 15, and one has an ongoing SHARP investigation and can't ship to AIT from BCT in my class. The females all are about as hygenic as the males (as the Drill Sergeants remind you frequently), so why trainees/battle buddies would ever attempt fraternization blows my mind.

One last thing, I know of three Option 40s from my class. One I never spoke to, as I was just never around him. The only other one from my platoon is a drone mechanic who was utterly unprepared for BCT and the lowest on the peer reviews at the end of white phase. The last Option 40 was the PT grad. He scored just over 100 situps and pushups and ran a 12:47 2 mile.

There's a lot more I want to write about, but this post is getting long. Long story short, BCT is wholly unmotivating and unimpressive for someone who prepares. Just take it one day at a time, and always give your all. Associate with the right people and you'll be fine. The proudest moment of my life was when my Drill Sergeant pulled my parents aside at graduation to tell them he was proud to have me in his platoon.

I'm off to AIT now in Arizona with the other Intelligence MOSs. It's currently 0400 and I havent slept at all, and that Monster I just chugged makes my heart hurt. Our flights aren't until the morning, so I'll be on the forums for a while catching up.

Thank you, Rangers, for all the preparation you assigned us. It truly helped.
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Thanks for recruiting a classmate, Sveny19, for ArmyRanger.com. He signed in last night. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
LionsDen
Ranger

Post by LionsDen »

Jim wrote: October 11th, 2017, 8:58 am Thanks for recruiting a classmate, Sveny19, for ArmyRanger.com. He signed in last night. Never, never quit!
Roger, Ranger Jim. He kept talking about earning a BAT/RASP slot and he has an above average PT score, and does extra PT with me sometimes. The forums have been very resourceful for me so far, so I hope he finds it helpful as well.

For another brief SITREP, Fort Huachuca is very different from BCT. The amount of freedom is just as much a culture shock as it was losing freedoms at BCT. If you exercise self-discipline, it's really quite nice, and there are plenty of opportunities.

We took our first PT test today. Wow, the elevation here is killer. I scored 79 pushups, 82 situps, and a 12:23 2 mile. When I first got here, I ran a 2 mile on my own at 12:50, so I'm starting to get to used to it, but I'm not there yet. It's gonna be a while before I get back down to my time at Basic, but I think an 11 minute 2 mile is possible before HBL.

I have my phone every night here, so I'll post SITREPs every so often about non-training topics.
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP, please keep us updated on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

LionsDen wrote: October 12th, 2017, 6:39 pm
Jim wrote: October 11th, 2017, 8:58 am Thanks for recruiting a classmate, Sveny19, for ArmyRanger.com. He signed in last night. Never, never quit!
Roger, Ranger Jim. He kept talking about earning a BAT/RASP slot and he has an above average PT score, and does extra PT with me sometimes. The forums have been very resourceful for me so far, so I hope he finds it helpful as well.

For another brief SITREP, Fort Huachuca is very different from BCT. The amount of freedom is just as much a culture shock as it was losing freedoms at BCT. If you exercise self-discipline, it's really quite nice, and there are plenty of opportunities.

We took our first PT test today. Wow, the elevation here is killer. I scored 79 pushups, 82 situps, and a 12:23 2 mile. When I first got here, I ran a 2 mile on my own at 12:50, so I'm starting to get to used to it, but I'm not there yet. It's gonna be a while before I get back down to my time at Basic, but I think an 11 minute 2 mile is possible before HBL.

I have my phone every night here, so I'll post SITREPs every so often about non-training topics.
The good news is the elevation at Huachuca is a mother f'er as you found out and takes a few weeks, if not a month, to get used to- when you get to low elevation, super humid Fort Benning you are going to run like a goddamned gazelle.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
LionsDen
Ranger

Post by LionsDen »

IntelToad wrote: October 19th, 2017, 3:10 pm The good news is the elevation at Huachuca is a mother f'er as you found out and takes a few weeks, if not a month, to get used to- when you get to low elevation, super humid Fort Benning you are going to run like a goddamned gazelle.
Ranger IntelToad,

Roger that, I'm really looking forward to that drop in time when I move out of here. It's the one advantage so far I've noticed MI has over the other MOS's... although with the PT here, I'm sure nobody notices the advantage. Or I should say, lack thereof.

A quick story from last weekend: My classmate across the barracks hall had a small "accident" last weekend. An hour after bed check, he tried to cut some tape off his camelback with a brand new gold knife he bought at the PX. Instead, he sliced right through it and went 2-3 inches into his thigh (He cut towards himself). He freaked out, pulled out the knife and ran down the hallway yelling and bleeding on everything. Turns out he missed his femoral artery by *that* much.

The Platoon Sergeants tell us everyday "Military Intelligence is the world's greatest oxymoron" and well.... I'm starting to understand. We laugh now, but any DEPs reading: Don't be the guy who buys a gold knife and cuts objects toward himself.
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

LOL the ASVAB does not account for common sense.

My only advice is stay out of Mexico, if you can go see Bisbee or Tombstone those are well worth the trip once you get some privileges off post.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
LionsDen
Ranger

Post by LionsDen »

IntelToad wrote: October 24th, 2017, 3:41 pm LOL the ASVAB does not account for common sense.

My only advice is stay out of Mexico, if you can go see Bisbee or Tombstone those are well worth the trip once you get some privileges off post.
Ranger IntelToad,

In our inbrief they were very specific about Mexico trips being against policy at every level. Border Patrol, according to the Platoon Sergeants, picks up hikers, fikers, and wayward travelers from Fort Huachuca infrequently.

We can phase up starting in two weeks, and Google Maps says Bisbee and Tombstone are just inside our radius. I'll definitely take some battle buddies over there when I get the chance. What locations should I be keeping an eye out for, in your opinion?
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Things have certainly changed at old Fort Resort. We used to go to Mexico a couple of times a month. There was a little bar in Nogales where we would drink .50 cent Tecate beers and eat shrimp all afternoon watching baseball on the TV. Some of my classmates ended their careers early by sampling the local weed and getting busted on piss tests. It was a lot more relaxed back then. We had every weekend off and they really didn't care where we went as long as we showed up for formation on Sunday night. We were in Riley barracks and there was a bar behind it called the Cactus Canteen. The drinking age back then was 18 and combine that with co-ed barracks- it was like Animal House.

Tombstone is cool because of the OK Corall and all the historic stuff. Bisbee is an old mining town that turned into a hippie town back in the 1960's. The air museum up in Tucson is very interesting if you like planes, they have all different kinds in dry storage out in the desert. I really liked Arizona because I grew up in Pennsylvania and never saw anything like that part of the country until I was 18 and at AIT. I have been back to Arizona a few times, nice place to visit.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
LionsDen
Ranger

Post by LionsDen »

IntelToad wrote: October 25th, 2017, 11:40 am Things have certainly changed at old Fort Resort. We used to go to Mexico a couple of times a month. There was a little bar in Nogales where we would drink .50 cent Tecate beers and eat shrimp all afternoon watching baseball on the TV. Some of my classmates ended their careers early by sampling the local weed and getting busted on piss tests. It was a lot more relaxed back then. We had every weekend off and they really didn't care where we went as long as we showed up for formation on Sunday night. We were in Riley barracks and there was a bar behind it called the Cactus Canteen. The drinking age back then was 18 and combine that with co-ed barracks- it was like Animal House.

Tombstone is cool because of the OK Corall and all the historic stuff. Bisbee is an old mining town that turned into a hippie town back in the 1960's. The air museum up in Tucson is very interesting if you like planes, they have all different kinds in dry storage out in the desert. I really liked Arizona because I grew up in Pennsylvania and never saw anything like that part of the country until I was 18 and at AIT. I have been back to Arizona a few times, nice place to visit.
Ranger IntelToad,

It's certaintly changed. One of my Reception Drill Sergeants told us a story about what it was like when he went through, and all I heard was something about cocaine and weapons. The Platoon Sergeant whose class it was confirmed parts of the story, and now we thank the Tucson Ten for losing us a lot of the priveleges older classes had.

We can't go to Tucson until Green Phase/Phase 5+ (Week 10+). Gold Phase/Phase 5 (Week 4+) is a maximum 30 miles from base, whereas Green Phase allows 100 miles, which includes Tucson. I'll definitely check out the air museum once we can, though.

It sounds like I'll be going to Tombstone first, history tends to be more interesting than hippies 😁 I appreciate the heads up, I'll let you know how it is when we finally get through Gold phase testing.
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Sounds good, stay focused, it's a really easy place to lose focus (in terms of Option 40.)
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987

Return to “Letters from School”