Overdue SITREP - Saltydog (Andrew)

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Saltydog
Future Soldier / Opt40

Overdue SITREP - Saltydog (Andrew)

Post by Saltydog »

Dear Rangers,

I know it has been a while since I have last posted, knocking out 50+1. Things have been going great for me here in Ft. Benning, currently I am in Pre-RASP and should be classing up in early August. We got here last Tuesday and have already lost 25 of the 60 that showed up from my airborne class. Some people just don't want it as bad as other I guess. My goal here is to provide you with a SITREP and hopefully some insight and advice for someone trying to get into it. If you have any questions please let me know, I like to think im a pretty honest guy. First I will let you know my last APFT score.

PU: 65
SU: 87
5 mile: 36:30
PU: 16

OSUT:
I graduated with Alpha Co. 1/19, for those that keep up with Army news it was the first female integrated Infantry class in which we stared 36 females and graduated with 18. For the most part the females that graduated were decent soldiers (same can be said about the males) but there were standards that were lowered for them. For one they got extra rounds on qualification day, they didn't have to put plates in their IOTVs during training, a lot didn't pass the female standard pt tests and still got pushed through. Please do not think I am sexist in any way, i'm just speaking from my experience. Also the media was everywhere, anytime we did any kind of training they had cameras in our faces, especially during FTX we had the New York Times come in and interview some of my classmates. Basic training I learned is exactly that the basics, its designed to set you up for success in the Army. I think part of me going in, expected me to come out a badass. Definitely the hardest part was working with the shitbags not wanting to be there, this one kid got pissed at the Drill SGT and decided to fuck with everyone's optics during his fireguard shift, he ended up quitting and going home. Learning to deal with stupid shit and stupid people in basic was quite the learning experience. My favorite by far was our FTX and the Bayonet ruck to Honor Hill, I had the privilege of carrying the M240B all week and ended on a good note, with an 8 mile ruck (for those still interested), it was quite a humbling experience. All in all OSUT set me up for success in the fact I have a foundation to build on for further training. Advice for anyone coming after me is to let go of anything you had in the civilian world and start from scratch, also drink water. I learned the Ft. Benning heat is no fucking joke.

AIrborne:

After OSUT we had a nice family weekend and a well rehearsed Graduation, the following Tuesday we left for Airborne hold, which is literally right down the road (still on Sand hill) and right in front of Honor Hill. For those coming after me please tell SSG Riggs I said hello. We bused to Airborne HQ that Thursday, got in processed and moved into the Airborne barracks. It was memorial day weekend so we got a nice 4 day weekend with formations in the morning and at night. Advice for those coming after me, STAY AWAY from the taxis they are way overpriced, they smell like smoke and plus walking is better for you. The Black Hats that teach the Airborne instructors are some of the best the Army has to offer, you just have to listen, learn and trust the instructor. Day one expect a pt test and a nice run to the ground week training area, we spent the week PLF'ing, jumping out of the 34 ft tower and using the harness. For those going in (i'm sure you've heard before) make sure you keep feet and knees together and tuck that chin to your chest, especially on the 34 ft tower. Those risers will tear your neck a new one if you don't. Unfortunately my class didn't get to do the 250 ft tower, which everyone was looking forward to so we spent all of tower week on the swings and practicing mass exits out of the mach door and 34 ft tower. expect to run everywhere and to have mres for lunch everyday during Airborne School. Jump week was the best, we got up at 0300 everyday to run down to the airfield practice the mach door and practice each side of the PLF. MRE for breakfast and then move into the shed to get rigged up and briefed on which airplane you will jump out of. Weather was terrible for our jump week it rained everyday with very little let up. Your first jump is a time you will never forget, I remember being so nervous i was shaking until we stood up, then all your training takes into effect and you almost forget your about to jump out of a C-17. Jumping is the best feeling, its nothing but adrenaline especially my first time, when my first chute opened I remember panting like an idiot and thinking "Damn it actually worked!" I will never forget it. I got 3 of my jumps on a C-17 and 2 of my combat jumps on the C-130. being on a C-130 with a combat load is something you'll never forget either, I thought my legs were going to have to be surgically removed because of the circulation the ruck was cutting off. The weather played into my favor as my family got to come down and see my last 3 jumps and my Uncle (also a paratrooper) got to pin my wings, right there on Fryar drop zone. Airborne school was something I will never forget. I graduated with class 23-17.

Pre-RASP:

We got a nice 4 day weekend to spend with family, and to get the packing list for RASP 1. There were 2 briefing by either the Ranger recruiting liaison or the cadre (not sure which one) one at the beginning of Airborne and at the end. The Tuesday after, the Ranger Cadre picked us up at the Airborne HQ and then ran us over to the Pre-RASP barracks, they also asked if anyone quit and 25 raised there hands. They made us turn our duffel bags inside out as well as any bag we had. I thought i was going to be smart and put all of my little things in plastic bags so that it would be easier to clean up, well I guess they caught on to that and made me empty those as well haha. They explained to us what we were not allowed to have and also explained that we will never fail a time hack again. We got moved in and we got a couple briefings on nutrition and some of the SOPs and what they expect from us. We did get a nice brief by the First SGT and Company Commander which was very inspiring and motivating. We've spent most of the week doing good PT and getting gear issued. I've never been more motivated and ready to start, i'll be here for a while so im going to try and learn as much as i can from the cadre and prepare my body the best I can. Also for those coming after me the local Military store Commando's (Columbus victory drive) will store your ASUs for free while you are in RASP until you graduate, all you have to do is fill out a form with your contact info, I highly recommend it. From my experience this site has helped me in so many ways, for example my Airborne Ranger in the Sky, in Pre-RASP you are expected to know everything about him day 2, I still have mine from the advice given to me by the Rangers on this site, I recommend you follow everything they say (I know I am) they have been there and done that, so I would like to say thank you for all you have done. I feel like I am a better Soldier and and a more prepared candidate because of this site. Thank you.

-Andrew

p.s if you have questions please let me know
11x Option 40
Shipdate: 20170130
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Overdue SITREP - Saltydog (Andrew)

Post by Jim »

Andrew, Great SITREP! Please continue to keep us updated on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Awesome SITREP, give 100% and then some, and never quit and you'll do just fine.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Good deal. Keep up the motivation and good work.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Saltydog
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Saltydog »

Roger Ranger Jim, Ranger cams and Ranger Grim666
11x Option 40
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Andrew, Please tell us how you are doing. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Saltydog
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Saltydog »

Ranger Jim,

I am doing just fine, hanging in there strong. For the 4th of July all of us Pre-RASP candidates got a nice 4 day pass (Friday-Wednesday) which I got to go home for, surprised my mother and had a great time with family. We were welcomed back with a nice 5 mile run and some good burnout sets of push ups and sit ups. Needless to say going home for pass really helped me get my head on straight, seeing all my old friends and how they are still doing the same old shit, smoking pot and working at taco bell. It's an honor to be here and to be in the position that i'm in. Things are getting pretty routine here, the cadre have been giving classes on land nav and Ranger History which I try to absorb the best I can, the guys that are in phase 2 ahead of us just got their berets, so its pretty damn motivating to see them walking around. Tomorrow will be our 2nd ruck march that we've done here in Pre-RASP, the first one we did was a 4 mile ruck and a sprint up cardiac hill (Ranger Cadre are rucking machines!) hopefully this next ruck they will bump up the mileage.
11x Option 40
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Andrew, I am amazed that you have been in pre-RASP as long as you have. Do you know why they have not started class? I know the last RASP class only had 12 students graduate. Never,, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Saltydog
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Saltydog »

Jim wrote: July 27th, 2017, 7:38 am Andrew, I am amazed that you have been in pre-RASP as long as you have. Do you know why they have not started class? I know the last RASP class only had 12 students graduate. Never,, never quit!
Ranger Jim,
I believe the reason I've been in Pre-RASP for so long is simply the timing for when I got here. When I got here, the guys who had been there were classing up in 2 weeks, and for pre RASP guys you have to have 2 weeks minimum, 1 week of admin work/gear issue (CIF and RIF) and 1 week for "training" (history, standards, land nav etc.) before you can start. Also the cadre are waiting until the class ahead gets into phase 2 before classing us up. We should be classing up on the 7th, I do know that we have a PT test this Monday so hopefully all goes well. Also I believe the current class has 21 candidates left if you were curious.

Quick note, one of my best friends since OSUT got dropped from the course for having an empty Gatorade bottle in his personal bag. It was a bit of a shock, considering it was one of my best friends, but it just proves how serious and real this course is. It was a pretty good eye opener.
-Andrew
11x Option 40
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Andrew, Looking forward to your being a successful RASP student. What other Mentees are still in training with you? Please remind them to post on ArmyRanger.com. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Letters from School”