SITREP- John

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Re: SITREP- John

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Do not discount the first-aid you are learning. It sounds like the "Big Army" finally adopted what the Regiment had realized years ago; that a few simple things would help save the life of the injured Soldier. I was there when they were developing what you have been taught, and it was only being used in the Ranger Regiment at that time. In point of fact, we were able to sell (then) Col. McChrystal on its benefits, and he ordered that every swinging johnson, from him on down should be trained it it. Before this, the "Combat Lifesaver" course being taught was pretty useless.

I have had multiple people (non medics) tell me that they were most definitely able to save lives when a medic was not available. This was by using what we taught them. It has been proven again and again in Iraq and A-stan.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Sleepy Doc wrote:Do not discount the first-aid you are learning. It sounds like the "Big Army" finally adopted what the Regiment had realized years ago; that a few simple things would help save the life of the injured Soldier. I was there when they were developing what you have been taught, and it was only being used in the Ranger Regiment at that time. In point of fact, we were able to sell (then) Col. McChrystal on its benefits, and he ordered that every swinging johnson, from him on down should be trained it it. Before this, the "Combat Lifesaver" course being taught was pretty useless.

I have had multiple people (non medics) tell me that they were most definitely able to save lives when a medic was not available. This was by using what we taught them. It has been proven again and again in Iraq and A-stan.

Just to reinforce that, I have done a live needle decompression to save a life in Iraq, along with a lot of the skills you were taught. They are all important, and this Ranger is spot on as always.

As an aside to you and your efforts Sleepy Doc, TC3 is what they train our SWAT teams here in upstate SC. Your work reached further than you may have realized.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Rangers,

I am glad to say that I have successfully made it to the hallway mark of RASP. Just finished week four today. It feels great to be done with phase 1. This week was focused on mobility. On Tuesday, we had a PT test which was easy. Afterwards, we received classes on the M1151 and on PMCS. Like every class we have had, the information we were taught was top of the line. Later on that day, we headed over to the RSTB motor pool and got familiarized with the humvees and how they operate. It was very straight forward. The following day was short, we had a 5 mile run in the morning. After, we got into the M1151's and practiced some minor driving skills (learning to execute proper movements instructed by a TC). On Thursday, we had an eye exam for our military drivers licenses and watched some safety videos (similar to what one would receive in a driver's Ed course). Following that, we bused over to a field not far from the drop zone and went on a driving course with the M1151's. It was our driving test that was critiqued by the cadre. Had a lot of fun with that. Off roading in a humvee is awesome. Today, we had our 10 mile ruck early in the morning. Everyone but one person passed. We then got back to the barracks, ate chow and started cleaning the humvees. After that, we took our mobility test which was straight forward and not difficult. Now, we are released for the weekend. I can't wait for next week. We will be starting marksmanship. I feel like these next few weeks will go by even faster than the first four weeks. Nonetheless, I will still keep my head in the game and will continue to focus on completing this course, week by week.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I am glad to say that I have successfully made it to the hallway mark of RASP
Should the underlined word be halfway? typo?

Otherwise good sitrep, keep driving on.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Roger Ranger Steadfast. It's a typo from my phone.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

jth456 wrote:Roger Ranger Steadfast. It's a typo from my phone.
Attention to detail. Stay focused, John. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Roger Ranger Jim.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Never trust anything or anyone to do things for you! Always check, always verify.

NEVER QUIT!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Roger Ranger Slowpoke.
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Rangers,

I just finished week 5 of RASP. It was one hell of a week! Now we are starting the fun stuff. This week was focused on marksmanship with the M9 and the M4. On Monday, we went over to the armory and picked up our weapons. Shortly after, we loaded up on the buses and headed over to the range. That day was focused on M9's. We shot at various distances (very short distances) and practiced our fundamentals on marksmanship. Tuesday was almost exactly the same except we did the qualification test as well. On Wednesday, we started M4's. At the range, we zeroed and then shot multiple times at various distances to confirm our zero. Thursday was more M4 marksmanship. This time, we shot at different positions, including standing. The instructions and techniques that we learned from the cadre are absolutely unbeatable. So much better than what I learned in OSUT. Today, we had our 12 mile ruck. Only one person was unable to complete it due to cramps. Starting week 6 soon. Looking forward to it!
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

OUTSTANDING!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

Have a good one and don't quit. RLTW!
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Roger Ranger Ndog275.
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Post by blueskiesalways »

Love the info...However, doesn't it freak you out a little that " once upon a time" there wouldn't have been any SITREPS from RIP/RASP...Just a different deal from even 10years ago...
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
jth456

Post by jth456 »

blueskiesalways,

I am so grateful for this website. The posts from the past and the forums on the 75th Ranger Regiment have given me so much insight on what this lifestyle is about and what it takes to be a Ranger. I also couldn't be more thankful for all of the Rangers on this board, especially Ranger Jim, who have kept me motivated throughout this long journey. I am very fortunate for that and thank them so much for it.

Return to “Letters from School”