SITREP -- FSHerbert

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
FSHerbert
Ranger

SITREP -- FSHerbert

Post by FSHerbert »

I've been asked by Ranger Jim to post a SITREP as I have been inactive on the site since before I shipped out to basic training. I mean no disrespect to him in taking so long to post, however, I've been trying to think about what I wanted to write that would be of value to future Rangers that hasn't been said before. Hopefully this works...

The basics; I've successfully completed all of my training thus far. I went through basic training, 68W AIT, Basic Airborne Course, RASP (Class 01-13) and I've finally just started SOCM class 6-13.

1) As I read posts of DEPs and people hoping to get through RASP, I continually notice their only main focus seems to be about PT. I get it, Rangers are tough, they can PT their dicks off. It's true, I had my dick run off many times by my squad leader during RASP and by SFC Kap before that in preRASP. What I suggest many hopeful Rangers take heed of is there being more to a Ranger than just a PT stud. You need to be smart and have your mindset correct. A little background...I enlisted with an Option 40 and had no clue what it meant. As my ship date grew closer and closer I PMed Ranger goon175 one day and told him that I felt like I was undeserving of my Option 40 because so many people post on this site how they've wanted to be Rangers since they were 14 or 15 and it's the only thing they know they'll really love. I was thinking to myself "holy fuck, I signed up for this not even knowing what it fucking meant and these guys have been training for years." Long story short, I've seen those guys quit. Bitch out. Show the world that they are actually a huge pussy. Words mean nothing when it comes to trying to be a Ranger or after you've donned that tan beret. It's about action, men. It's about not only going out and being sure that you are physically fit to complete a run, but also about knowing what you are training for and fighting to be a part of. I'm nothing standout when it comes to PT, my scores will not make you think that I am a super stud, because I'm not. I know this. What makes me a Ranger is my mentality. It's when my Ranger buddy who is a stud looks at me and says "Herbert, you're a guy I can go to because I know you are always squared away and will also help me whenever I need it" or when shit sucks and quitting is an option, but I refuse to take it because that's not how I think, it's that feeling in the pit of my stomach that I feel when I think about how I want to go and fight for freedom and be a warrior, but I'm not sure how I will react when bullets start to fly. Knowing that that feeling will never stop me, but acknowledging it's presence is what makes me a Ranger. DEPs, people waiting to start RASP, or big Army guys waiting for your shot at RASP, just remember that there is more than just muscles to being a Ranger, you need brains too.

2) I see a lot of men posting in their introductions on how they want to be either and 11B or a 68W and they are not sure which they would like more or they would take whichever is open. Well, let me provide some insight. I "officially" started my training pipeline on January 3, 2012 to become a Ranger Medic and I'm currently only two-thirds of the way done. The pipeline to becoming a Ranger Medic is long and, whether or not you want to admit it, exhausting. So, as you are considering enlisting into the Army to either be a Ranger or a Ranger Medic, or even just a medic, just think about what you really want to do.
Is your main goal to go to Afghanistan and shoot motherfuckers in the face? If that's what you want to do more than anything, well fuck, go 11B and be a Ranger. That is the fastest way to get there and make it happen.
Is your main goal to join the Army and be a medic and hopefully do some "super hooah shit" and then go down range and shoot some motherfuckers in the face hoping that you don't have to save anyone, but confident you could do your job if needed? If this is you, don't waste anyone's time and just be a regular Army medic hoping that you get to a high speed unit where you can do that shit.
Is your main goal to be a medical professional who takes care of the men in his team, squad, platoon, company, battalion, Regiment and also wants to do some serious tactical training and just be fucking awesome, for lack of a better adjective? Then you should become a Ranger medic.
If you don't think you're going to want to study work hard for over two years before you're ever "officially" a Ranger then don't waste the Regiment's time and money training you for nothing. Someone is probably thinking "what does he mean 'officially?'" Even though I wear a tan beret and a scroll and I haven't yet met the standards of a Ranger Medic. This means that at anytime I fail to do so, I'm dropped from the pipeline and "go to the needs of the army." This is becoming much to common. I've seen four men lose their tan berets because they were unable to meet training standards. This is where it's important to understand what you want your Army career to look like because the training is so long and it will begin to take it's toll on you and if you don't have a strong end goal in mind, you will fail one way or another.

I hope this post is helpful to someone. My objective was to provide a new angle of insight without sounding arrogant, cocky, or condescending toward anyone or anything and I hope I've achieved that.
Last edited by Steadfast on June 3rd, 2013, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to Stickify.
RASP Class 1 - 13
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP -- FSHerbert

Post by Jim »

This I one of the most insightful letters from school I've seen. Normally, I never thank someone for doing their job. But, in this case. I can only say: "Thanks, Ranger FSHerbert." Well said. Look forward to seeing more from you. Never, never quit!
Last edited by Jim on June 2nd, 2013, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Someone should sticky this....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

RangerX wrote:Someone should sticky this....
Word. Great stuff Ranger FSHerbert. Drive on Brother.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Knowing that that feeling will never stop me, but acknowledging it's presence is what makes me a Ranger.

This is an awesome insight coming from someone so young and still in training. In a post full of uncanny wisdom, this comment truly stands out.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I particularly like how you grasped how tenuous being 'elite' truly is. It takes a lot to get there, and a lot to maintain it - medics more than most. Realizing that shit can be gone with a single screw up is generally a lesson most get after the fact. That's a key lesson for guys who may hold the life of a brother in their hands. Well done so far.

Four posts and he's already steel on target.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Richard Cranium wrote:By far, the best and most well thought out/wise post I have seen from a young stud in a loooooooong time.

Sticky-worthy indeed!
I'll call Jake tomorrow and make it a task for the Mentees.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
FSHerbert
Ranger

Post by FSHerbert »

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." -Winston Churchill

Today I graduated SOCM and I believe this quote embodies what is happening. I've completed my training to be a Ranger Medic, but it is only the end to the beginning of my life in Regiment.

I read through Ranger Bloody_Limey's AAR from when he completed SOCM in June 2013 and I believe that he has done a very good job at breaking the course down for others aspiring to be Ranger Medics. Now, I would like to provide another perspective on the course and hopefully some food for thought.

Know Yourself:
When you make it to SOCM you've already learned what you can do physically and how to overcome it from making it through RASP. Now you need to shift gears and understand yourself intellectually and mentally. SOCM is an immense of information and, I think, the most important way to be successful is understanding the best way for you to learn and comprehend information. Knowing whether or not you are an auditory learner, a visual learner, or a combination of both is incredibly helpful and will help to guide your study habits as well as help you choose the most valuable study materials and techniques. Some people used Quizzlette, some used the slides from class and some, myself included, would take notes during class. It doesn't matter how you learn so long as you learn what works for you and learn it quickly. I think when it comes to this aspect of knowing yourself people who have gone to college or have a strong academic background have the upper hand. These more experienced students usually know how to process and digest information quicker than the younger students and in the beginning have a slightly noticeable easier time.
Also with studying, know how to study most effectively for you. Instructors will preach about getting study groups together and to work as teams to accomplish more learning. If group studying works for you and you, as well as your group, can be efficient and productive in group studying, then use this method. For me, I study more effectively alone. If you don't know which is better for you, try both ways. There is no right or wrong way to learn material as long as you know it and can apply what you've learned.
The final part of knowing yourself is to know what you need to do to decompress. The stress of SOCM is a building and continual stress that isn't always noticeable. When it does present itself, know how to relieve it. Everyone has their own ways to do this and, again, there is no right or wrong way to do it. Just remember that whatever you do to decompress it doesn't jeopardize your end goal.

Don't get "Sucked In":
Believe it or not, there are people in the school house who are not of "Ranger Caliber" for lack of a better term. These people will show themselves by always having a negative comment or just an overall lack of motivation. That mentality is toxic and if you let it into your head it will consume you. There are plenty of highly motivated individuals who you can surround yourself with. "Birds of a feather flock together" if you want to be a damn good medic and learn medicine, surround yourself with people who want to do the same and not the guys who are just "checking the box."

Square Each Other Away and Don't Burn Bridges:
SOCM is a military school that is relaxed by military standards, however mass punishment still happens. If someone in your class, whether a Ranger or not, is F'ed up, do your best to fix him. The more you police and help each other, the more successful you'll be. This goes for everything from grooming standards to time hacks to all the learning that goes on in the school house. With that said, if you do continually help someone and they ignore or refuse the help, their end will come on it's own.
Special Operations is a small community and burning bridges will only hurt you. I've barely been experienced to it and I can already see how closely all the groups work together. You never know when you're going to see that SEAL, 18D, or CA person again and need some help. Burning bridges not only screws you, but it screws the people behind you.

SOCM is hard. If anyone tells you otherwise, they've either lied about coming here or they're lying to you. It's a great course, the knowledge, skills and experiences that a student receives are unmatched anywhere else. While I hated it here sometimes, in the end I wouldn't trade what I gained here for anything.
Like I said, I believe Ranger Bloody_Limey already did a great job at breaking down the course and providing background information. I've tried to give additional insight from my experience. In the end, you only get out of SOCM what you put in. The only way to really know about SOCM is to go through the course on your own.

FSHerbert
RASP Class 1 - 13
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Fsherbert which batt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Well done Ranger FSHerbert. Congrats and I'm sure you already understand that the 'hard part' is only about to begin. Medics and mortars are a ruthless bunch.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Now, that's one squared away motherfucker!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Slowpoke wrote:Now, that's one squared away motherfucker!
Indeed!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Grim666 wrote:Fsherbert which batt?

I agree with Ranger Grim666 - What Battalion are you assigned to Ranger FSHerbert?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Ranger Steadfast he went to 3rd. I only know that because I caught up with him for a few min the other day. He is probably still having fun in processing.

Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????

Return to “Letters from School”