Cole Range Schedule

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
VetJedi
US Army Veteran

Cole Range Schedule

Post by VetJedi »

If this has been answered already, please let me know and disregard my question.
My son is currently in RASP 1 Class 10-18. He is currently finishing up his third week. I'm looking for a little clarification on the schedule for Cole Range.
I've read Sua Sponte by Dick Couch twice now to help me get an idea of what he will be experiencing during RASP. I realize that the book is a bit dated and that RASP is a fluid training program that is continuously adapting to the needs of the Regiment, so not everything is the same as it was in 2010. The book mentioned that the Ranger candidates go to Cole Range during the second week for further assessment and Land Nav. It mentions that it is generally the toughest week with the most attrition.
My confusion comes from the group that I joined on FB, "RASP Ranger Assessment Selection Program Support Group". While I realize that it is not an official page for RASP training, the admins do seem to have some inside information and are very serious about OPSEC and PERSEC. On Tuesday this week, they posted something that stated that Class 10-18 will be heading to Cole Range on October 1-5. Is this correct? Do they not spend a week at Cole Range until week four of Phase 1 or is this a second week the candidates spend at Cole Range?
With him wrapping up his third week, I was thinking that he had managed through the toughest week last week. He won't quit. I have no doubt about that. They will have to haul him off in an ambulance before he will give up. I know that there are still a lot of obstacles to overcome before he can don a tan beret and it's not over till it's over. I'm sure that there are still things that could prevent him from making it to Regiment. After all, the decision is not based purely on him not quitting. Still, I would like to have an idea of where he stands in his training.
My grandfather, a 50's era Ranger (I had to ask about that in another thread), was also a bit confused when I mentioned the post from the RASP support group to him that stated Cole Range in the fourth week. I had also bought him a copy of Sua Sponte that he has read and referred back to repeatedly.
Any clarification on this would be appreciated as long it doesn't compromise OPSEC.
Thank you Rangers for keeping this site up and running. I haven't been on here long, but it is obvious to me that the shared knowledge and support on here are a great resource for many in and out of the community.

-VetJedi
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Cole Range Schedule

Post by Disinfertention »

I attended RASP 2, formally ROP (pronounced 'rope' - and I may have used the incorrect acronym for it) in late 2009. RASP 1 was in it's infancy then. The schedule you are referring to, in which candidates attend Cole Range in Week 2, aligns more with the RIP program which was only 3 weeks long compared to RASP 1 which is 8. RASP 1 is broken into two phases and as far as I understand it the week at Cole Range culminates phase 1 and the takes those that passed into phase 2.

If there are any other details you'd like to know I'll do my best to answer.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
VetJedi
US Army Veteran

Post by VetJedi »

Copy that. Thanks for the reply, Disinfertention. Like I said, I knew that Sua Sponte had followed a class in 2010. Class 10-10 if I'm not mistaken. I'm guessing that they were still in the process of organizing the new program when Dick Couch embedded with the RASP 1 class he wrote about in his book.
Judging from what you've told me, I was wrong about when they head out to Cole Range. Here I had been thinking that he had already made it through what was likely his toughest week. Apparently he is just about to start the most challenging week for him. Either way, he's a big boy, and he knew that the goal he set for himself was going to be no easy task. He will leave CR on a stretcher before he surrenders, so his moving into Phase 2 after this next week will really come down to how he does with the academic and skills tests.
Honestly, it just gives me and my grandfather a little extra peace to have some idea of where he is in his training when we have no contact with him. We both understand having a lack of communication coming from military service before cell phones and the internet. The fact that his BCT and AIT classes had their own FB page still amazes me and reminds me that it's a different military and I'm getting old lol.
Thanks, Disinfertation for helping me get that sorted out somewhat. It definitely gave me a better understanding of where he is in the program, considering the most up to date resource I had up to now was a ten year old book written in the early stages of the RIP to RASP transition period.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Anytime. It is the very least I can do here - reply to you with mostly factual information! :lol:

I'd say leverage this topic if any other questions come up about their schedule. If it can be answered, I'll do my best or maybe one of our recent graduates will come in and pass out some info as long as it doesn't appear to compromise the course.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “About RASP”