Questions about RASP to 75th Ranger Regiment

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
JamesGarafalo
Embryo

Questions about RASP to 75th Ranger Regiment

Post by JamesGarafalo »

Hello, this is my second post and I apologize if this is in the incorrect place. I'd like to thank you in advance for any advice.
I have an 11x Option 40 contract. I've been reading different material, as well as the FAQ, but I haven't found answers to these specific questions and I would like some clarification.

I believe after OSUT and BAT I get a date to go to RASP. IF I pass RASP and IF selected I get a tab for the 75th Ranger Regiment, will I be an Army Ranger at this point for all purposes? In other words does, gaining entry to the 75th or passing Ranger school allow me to consider myself a Ranger?

I have read that the "top of the class" will be given dates for Ranger School at the end of RASP. Will everyone one in the 75th at some point attend Ranger School?

Differences of locations to be assigned IF I pass RASP and enter the 75th Ranger Rgmt. I understand I may have a preference, but are more likely than not to be assigned at Army will, regardless. However, I'd like to know any information about the differences such as: Living quarters, location, weather, your experience, etc.
11X OPTION 40
SHIP DATE: 20160217

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" -Abraham Lincoln
Kirk
Ranger

Re: Questions about RASP to 75th Ranger Regiment

Post by Kirk »

Option 40 Contract gives you a slot for RASP after OSUT and Jump School. Nothing else. This is your schedule:

- 11X OSUT (1+13 Weeks) If you fail this, you should consider a career in the ballet.

....holdover time between classes, can be as much as a 3-4 weeks depending on timing. You will be buffing floors and raking Georgia clay. Or you could start the next day. It's a crap-shoot, completely out of your control.

- Basic Airborne Course (BAC) (3 Weeks) If you fail this, you should consider a sex change.

....holdover time between classes, can be as much as a 3-4 weeks depending on timing. You will be buffing floors, raking sawdust and painting rocks. Or you could get run to RASP from Jump School with all your shit on your back, and start RASP right away. Again, total crap-shoot as far as timing.

- Pre-RASP (3 Weeks) ~25% Pass / Selection Rate. This is what used to be called 'RIP'. Basically three weeks of hell. You'll get guys quitting in the first hour, guaranteed.

- RASP (8 Weeks) ~65% Pass / Selection Rate. You can be the biggest stud in the class and still not get selected at RASP, for something as simple as 'they just don't like you'.

- Graduation and assignment to one of the three line Battalions. You are now a Ranger. You will very likely be asked for your preferences of which Batt you would be liked to be assigned to. There is zero guarantee that you will get it. It all depends on the needs of the Regiment. If (say) 1/75 just lost a bunch of guys in a bird crash or an IED, guess where you are probably going....

6-12 months Time in Battalion living the dream in the best DA unit in Special Operations world-wide.

Then after 6-12 months (depending on timing, available slots, deployments and how well you perform):

- Pre-Ranger (SURT) (3 Weeks) You will pass this or die trying. Come back with your shield or on it.

....holdover time between classes, can be as much as a 1-2 weeks in the Gulag depending on timing. Gulag sucks. Nuff said.

- Ranger School (61 Days) You will also pass this or you be RFSd and sent down the road to another unit. Graduating Ranger School doesn't make anyone a 'Ranger'. Being a Ranger and graduating Ranger School are a million miles apart. Ranger School is a (very tough) leadership school that just happens to have 'Ranger' in the name. Anyone can go. There are a few units in the Army where it's almost impossible to be in a leadership position without a Ranger Tab. The 75th Ranger Regiment is one of them. If you fail Ranger School, unless you are in a an incredibly critical MOS (which you aren't) you'll be RFS'd.

Caveats:

- There are RASP classes where the top selectees get sent straight to SURT / Ranger School. This all depends on available slots and the needs of the Regiment. If the Batt you are a assigned to is desperate for bodies for some reason, you'll likely be going straight to Batt, no matter how amazing they think you are.

- There have been some RASP classes, or individual students that skipped the BAC and only went after they were selected at RASP. There have even been guys in critical MOSs that deployed to combat before going to jump school since the GWOT started because of the needs of the Regiment. They weren't doing a lot of parachuting into Sadr City 4-5 times a night, they drove.

Finally, you are far to worried about the small shit and things that are so far away you are in danger of screwing up. Nobody likes a badge wearer or glory hound. The last thing you want to do is run around you barracks at OSUT telling everyone you have and Option 40 contract and you're going to be a Ranger.

Focus on what is right in front of you every day, hit the the 25meter target, put 110% effort in every day on the task at hand, be the grey man and don't quit. That's all you need to worry about.

You want to graduate every course with high scores and peer evaluations, but with almost no one knowing your name. If you graduate all courses and get selected to serve in Regiment, and half the instructors at graduation ask 'Who the fuck are you?', you've done very well.
Kirk
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Topic is now back opened.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
JamesGarafalo
Embryo

Post by JamesGarafalo »

Thank you for the response Kirk. I knew my initial questions may have been shallow while writing them. It was more of an effort to engage in conversation with someone such as yourself. It's a daunting task before me, but as you have taught, one step at a time. I will learn everything I can today in preparation for tomorrow. I'm a couple weeks from shipping and getting acclimated to the best of my ability to a Ranger mindset. Now that I am a couple weeks until shipping I have left my job to focus on my career. I know the words of the Rangers Creed and endeavor to uphold them.

The newest and valuable concept you have provided me is to be "the grey man".

I am unsure if I should be the guy who:
Answers questions, runs back to finish a run with a comrade after already completing it for myself, try to present myself as a leader, things of that nature. Or should I exclusively try to be the grey man so nobody has a clue who I am. Obviously all of those are good things to do, but it sounds like the less they notice you, the better. You have provided conducive support for that opinion.

Can you provide more insight on to the types of actions, tactics, assertiveness, passive/activeness I should do in a general sense?

I believe my Rasp class will be somewhere between June and July, any tips on how to stay awake, motivated, navigate at night etc. things that may help me that you might of learned in your career as a Ranger?
11X OPTION 40

Ronin
Triple Canopy

Post by Ronin »

Listen kid, while I think your eagerness to learn is right on track. Your sense of entitlement is overwhelming and so is your lack of respect. Thats ok, both of those issues will be fixed IF you make it to RASP or to a BN. Address all members of this site that have the word Ranger under their avatar, as Ranger xxxxxx. For example; "Thank you for the response RangerKirk". Entiendo?
This place isnt that hard, neither is the Army or SOF for that matter. Read more, post less. When in training, talk less, listen and write more and always give 100% without any disrespectful attitude. As far as all the questions you are asking, the best advice we can give you is Go there and find out and Dont quit. Quit worrying about the unknown, its meant to be ambiguous.
RS Class 03-99
2/75
RRD
7th SFG(A)
JamesGarafalo
Embryo

Post by JamesGarafalo »

I appreciate the response and the advice. It's a different mindset being on the same brain wave as Rangers. I understand that as a civilian, especially an American citizen, I have a sense of entitlement and lack of respect. I respect every word I've been given. I've tried to humble myself, but I shall continue to humble myself evermore.

Thanks to you Ranger Ronin.
11X OPTION 40

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

JamesGarafalo wrote:I understand that as an American citizen, I have a sense of entitlement and lack of respect. I've tried to humble myself, but I shall continue to humble myself evermore.
Spoken like a true child of the Obama era.

Do you have a UN Flag in front of your house?

Rhetorical. Don't answer me. Just do what you're told here to succeed and change your mind set back to normal.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

You're over thinking everything. Your job is to not quit, simple as that. Follow instructions, do what your told and don't quit, everything else will fall into place. When is your actual leave date, your signature line doesn't say? Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
JamesGarafalo
Embryo

Post by JamesGarafalo »

Ranger JD, thank you for the advice. It kind of settled me a little. I was unsure whether or not I should post my ship date, but I'm leaving on the 17th of this month. Luckily I was able to find someone, through this website, leaving the day before me so we may come across one another. I will update my signature now.
11X OPTION 40

Return to “About RASP”