ROTC and the Ranger Battalion

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Re: ROTC and the Ranger Battalion

Post by Grim666 »

I joined at 34 deployed at a later age than that. So no you will not sit behind a desk unless you want too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

If you commission, your chances of attaining a position within the Regiment will be minuscule, compared against your year group cohort. There's a finite number of potions available, vs. number of positions thou out the rest of the Army. Getting one is highly competitive. Career timing and current unit support to assess is also crucial. That assumes you commission into a branch that's required by and has potions within the Regiment to begin with. And you meet the initial requirements.

That's something for you to look at and research.

There's nothing wrong or shameful about being enlisted. NCOs are the decisive leaders in any organization, especially the Regiment.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I have no idea, but would assume they take Regular Army offices vs. Reserve Component on Active Duty officers. That might be worth looking up. Not to be confused with Reserve Component officer activated for duty.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Too many commissioned officers mistake their importance early in their careers, and don't value their relationships with other leaders. in my opinion.

Officers, especially at the Company level are managers. They manage and resource NCOs. NCOs lead. Or, they're supposed to. If they aren't, their senior NCOs and officers are failing to train, mentor, and hold them to appropriate standards. That's the way I think it should work, and when it does, it's a sight to behold.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

All ROTC officers are Reserve commission. Only USMA are active commission. It's a throwback to WW2 days, and bears nothing on your officer career once commissioned to active duty. If the 75th only let in USMA officers it would end up being a ring knocking shit storm.

The only difference in the commissioning sources is that ROTC officers can be selected to go straight Reserve, which didn't happen in my day. Maybe things are changing with the draw down, but USMA still only commissions a fraction of the officers on active duty (maybe 20%), not enough to staff the needs of the Army (even a smaller Army).
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I was gunna let him figure that one out for himself. Back in the 80-early 90s, ROTC got some Regular Army commissions too. Don't know when/if it changed. I had an RA commission waiting on my graduation. I enlisted instead.
Last edited by KW Driver on March 31st, 2016, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I was a SSG who went to OCS. Remained a USAR officer until I was promote to MAJ, then I was integrated into the RA. There are pros and cons to almost all the choices.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

KW Driver wrote:I was gunna let him figure that one out for himself. Back in the 80-early 90s, ROTC got some Regular Army commissions too. Don't know when/if it changed. I had an RA commission waiting on my graduation. I enlisted instead.
It hasn't changed. The deep truth is that USMA is set to under-produce for the next couple of years. With USMA producing under their normal 15-20%, ROTC will be missioned above the normal 75% and OCS will fill the gap.

Do the math- ROTC produces a large percentage of active duty officers.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

bobdub wrote:Thank you for the valuable information Rangers and clearing up this grey area. Once I get close to commissioning my career options will become more apparent. However, opportunity meets preparedness, so I should know these things in order to be ready when it comes my way.
I'm proud to say that answering your questions is one of the reasons this site exists.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”