Possible eyesight restrictions?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Peanut_Butter
BANNED

Possible eyesight restrictions?

Post by Peanut_Butter »

I'm 20 years old and enlisting into the army to become infantry and work my way up to Ranger. (don't have the confidence to go Option 40 straight out the get-go) There's one hitch in that plan that might ruin that for me though.

Not trying to waste anyone's time here, I just couldn't get a good answer anywhere else or find anything specific. I have some pretty damn bad eyesight. Nearsightedness/astigmatism. How seriously do they take poor eyesight in the rangers and will it automatically bar me from ever being in ranger school? Any answers would be appreciated. I know I'll find out when they examine me but I'd prefer to find out now so I'm not going into the army thinking I can be SF. I enjoy hard work and love the image that comes with being a grunt, but I still want that to lead up to something. If I can't be a ranger, I'll have to re-think my path in the military.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Possible eyesight restrictions?

Post by Jim »

Your initial post is to be an introduction. I moved your post to the introduction thread. I have worn glasses all my life and I have been successful.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Peanut_Butter
BANNED

Post by Peanut_Butter »

Jim wrote:Your initial post is to be an introduction. I moved your post to the introduction thread. I have worn glasses all my life and I have been successful.
Right on for answering my question anyways. I was worried I was psyching myself up for something I could never qualify for. And I apologize for the misunderstanding, I'll get to making an introduction.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Peanut_Butter wrote:
Jim wrote:Your initial post is to be an introduction. I moved your post to the introduction thread. I have worn glasses all my life and I have been successful.
Right on for answering my question anyways. I was worried I was psyching myself up for something I could never qualify for. And I apologize for the misunderstanding, I'll get to making an introduction.
Firstly, just stop. You obviously need to read the rules of the site before posting again. Ranger Jim is not your "bro" or your "home slice". This is not Facebook young man.

Secondly, in the introduction thread you posted, you sound like a typical self entitled millenial throwing a temper tantrum. Nothing personal, just stating how your post sounds.

I also worked for UPS on the docks when I was 18-19, before joining the Army. It's hard work, and you don't get anywhere by complaining like that, especially to men who've had it beaten into their heads to never complain, no matter how bad it gets, no one wants to hear it and you bring down morale and weaken your team.

Thirdly, you're clearly confused on many levels, the Ranger Regiment is not SF, and Ranger School is not the Ranger Regiment (see how I capitalized Ranger, follow my lead here).

Your chances of being an infantryman, somehow getting commissioned because you're just that good, and then being assigned to Regiment are slim to none using the route you've mapped out. Seriously, slim to none.

Small bit of advice for you, step back and do a lot more research before making up your mind. It's amazing when you get older just how silly some young men sound going off full speed and all full
of piss and vinegar without a clue what they're really doing yet. That's how regrets are made.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Re-read Ranger Cams post and heed it 100%. Being a Ranger is not just something you think maybe, you might want to try, being a Ranger is all or nothing. Sit back and rethink what you want from life. To be a Ranger, is to be the best, at all times, no slack. Think you can hang, if not, don't try, but if you're willing to hang tough, drive on and never quit, then maybe this life is for you. Time for a little soul searching. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Peanut_Butter
BANNED

Post by Peanut_Butter »

cams wrote:
Peanut_Butter wrote:
Firstly, just stop. You obviously need to read the rules of the site before posting again. Ranger Jim is not your "bro" or your "home slice". This is not Facebook young man.

Secondly, in the introduction thread you posted, you sound like a typical self entitled millenial throwing a temper tantrum. Nothing personal, just stating how your post sounds.

I also worked for UPS on the docks when I was 18-19, before joining the Army. It's hard work, and you don't get anywhere by complaining like that, especially to men who've had it beaten into their heads to never complain, no matter how bad it gets, no one wants to hear it and you bring down morale and weaken your team.

Thirdly, you're clearly confused on many levels, the Ranger Regiment is not SF, and Ranger School is not the Ranger Regiment (see how I capitalized Ranger, follow my lead here).

Your chances of being an infantryman, somehow getting commissioned because you're just that good, and then being assigned to Regiment are slim to none using the route you've mapped out. Seriously, slim to none.

Small bit of advice for you, step back and do a lot more research before making up your mind. It's amazing when you get older just how silly some young men sound going off full speed and all full
of piss and vinegar without a clue what they're really doing yet. That's how regrets are made.
Good Lord your reply was hostile. Why are you so angry? He's not my "bro" my "homeslice"? I never referred to him as such. What is your issue, I'm just trying to be respectful.

But I will give you... I am rushing myself and getting a bit too excited for something I haven't fully got in to yet. I need to actually study into the steps I need to take before I just decide to be a Ranger. That is pretty stupid of me, I'll give you that. I'm sorry if I offended everybody being all gung-ho fore I know what I'm getting into.

"I also worked for UPS on the docks when I was 18-19, before joining the Army. It's hard work, and you don't get anywhere by complaining like that, especially to men who've had it beaten into their heads to never complain, no matter how bad it gets, no one wants to hear it and you bring down morale and weaken your team. "
Question: What were your superiors there like? What hub did you work at? What's the longest shift you worked?(I worked a 13-hour shift where my knuckles bled the whole time) I'm not complaining about the hard-work at all. In fact I love the challenge of freight-loading. UPS turned me into a beast. The only reason I'm not hanging with UPS is because the incompetence of management and the complete lack of organization in my hub is about to drive me up the friggin wall. I'm glad that you had a happy experience at UPS, but I didn't. It wasn't the worst the worst experience, cause it made me realize how strong I could be. But it was bad enough that I realized it's not worth sticking around.(military pays better anyways) I'm a little disappointed that you'd talk down to me knowing you came from the same place as me. By the way, bring down morale? I'm the best loader on my belt. And I've been putting the belt on my back these past few weeks. I don't care if I come off as a "millennial throwing a temper tantrum". I go into that job and break my back everyday. I always encourage our new-hires and I'm always there for my co-workers when they're getting crushed. You can put me down for wanting to be a Ranger all you want, but don't talk down to me about my work. The only reason I do so good at UPS is because everybody treated me the way you are now. They told me I couldn't do it, so I made them eat my boots and started hitting 340-350 pph daily. I can't tell you how many times I've had to hold my tongue as a supervisor tore into me for whatever silly reason.
I'm going to do more research into the best steps into becoming a Ranger. I'm sorry I came into your forums so ill-prepared. That was pretty naive of me. But just because I offended some Rangers on an internet forum... doesn't mean I can never be one. I want the hard-work, I want the challenge and I'm going to attempt this whether I fall flat on my face or not. I may not know what I'm talking about but I sure ain't no dam pansie like you make me out to be.
Peanut_Butter
BANNED

Post by Peanut_Butter »

cams wrote:
Peanut_Butter wrote:

I did my research and I found my mistake. Now I get why one of the guy's on my introduction said I'd only be an officer and never a Ranger. I thought you HAD to be a full-on commissioned officer to enter the Rangers OR go Option-40 straight out of recruitment. I didn't know you could just join up as long as you choose an available MOS in the Rangers and meet the proper test scores and extra qualifications. I completely understand your point now and I see why that sounded so ridiculous to all of you and I apologize for coming off as annoying.
And I am going to spend some time in basic infantry before volunteering for airborne to make sure I'm really ready for this. I can run, do situps, and do pull-ups no problem. But the constant carrying around 35-50 lbs in equipment is going to be a challenge.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Skippy, you might want to check your attitude toward verified members of this board.

Aside from the distinct possibility of getting locked out of a great resource, you might want to consider that some of the people you may encounter in your endeavors - should you even make it in to the Ranger community - are also members here.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Jesus Christ. This has got to be a joke. Which one of you dicks posted this shit up?

"Hostile"?

I thought I was fairly calm.

"I'm a beast."

Clearly should read "I'm a whiny bitch."

"I'm the greatest load bearer of all time." (This one may be true but it ain't UPS loads)

"The army pays better."

What fucking army are you joining? I was making about 17.00 an hour at UPS when I was 18 yrs old. The army paid me .27 cents an hour with room and board. The physical and mental torture was free of charge. Compliments of the Spec 4 Mafia.

Anyway, thanks for the laughs. Good luck pal. Enjoy Korea.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Peanut_Butter
BANNED

Post by Peanut_Butter »

cams wrote:Jesus Christ. This has got to be a joke. Which one of you dicks posted this shit up?

"Hostile"?

I thought I was fairly calm.

"I'm a beast."

Clearly should read "I'm a whiny bitch."

"I'm the greatest load bearer of all time." (This one may be true but it ain't UPS loads)

"The army pays better."

What fucking army are you joining? I was making about 17.00 an hour at UPS when I was 18 yrs old. The army paid me .27 cents an hour with room and board. The physical and mental torture was free of charge. Compliments of the Spec 4 Mafia.

Anyway, thanks for the laughs. Good luck pal. Enjoy Korea.
I tried being courteous, something which I absolutely do not owe you what-so-ever. Fact is, you're a bitter old man and a chairborne ranger pissed because his glory days are finished and he's stuck waiting in his chair for his nurse to come by and change his damn diapers. You were nothing but a punk before you joined the Army and you're nothing but a punk-bitch with an ego problem now. Are you really that insecure about your little 2-inch peckerwood? Or is that the shit betwixt your fat cheeks is finally giving you a diaper rash? Is that why you get on here and refer to people as "millenials throwing a temper tantrum"? And guess what DIPSHIT, I make 10 DOLLARS AN HOUR AT UPS. Not even the supervisors make 17 you jack-shit moron. If you were to load at UPS today you wouldn't last past two-months you fucking pussy. You had it easier back then and don't you dare delude yourself otherwise. I got on here to receive some suggestions and get some support. But instead I'm being lambasted by the scummy likes of you. Fucking block me from ever entering this forum again. I want no part in anything that has to do with an arrogant disgrace such as yourself.
Ronin
Triple Canopy

Post by Ronin »

Well that was an ignorant response. Read up what you can while you can and enjoy not ever receiving any input from the many qualified veterans and members here. These chairborne Rangers you call us are men who have carried this nation on their shoulders in training and combat for the better part of the last half century. Damn shame that youth is wasted on the young.
RS Class 03-99
2/75
RRD
7th SFG(A)
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Just like a typical millennial whiny kid. You can see yourself out I'm sure. Nice chatting with ya.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

So did you fail to read the FAQs in the intro section, or do they just not apply to you?
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Woudn't even waste your time ManchuV, this kid's all "me me me" and "I I I" and as soon as someone says something he doesn't like to hear he has a mental breakdown. He is exactly what Regiment does not need and would quit as soon as someone tells him he's not a special little flower and there'll be no trophy today.

Fuck em. There will be many more behind him to take his place that are better suited and better equipped.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Return to “Recruitment Process”