Option 40 and Green to Gold?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
tatro36
Egg

Option 40 and Green to Gold?

Post by tatro36 »

I assume this is the first time this question has appeared on this forum, as it is a really weird question. But in early 2017, I plan to enlist and want to try for an Option 40 but I am having a bit of trouble, so I'll have to explain my scenario. I graduate high school in at the end of 2016, at which point I plan to enlist. While enlisted I plan to take college courses until I get an associates degree, at which point I would like to go for the Green To Gold Program. However, if I graduate RASP, and then do the Green To Gold, will I become an Officer in the Rangers, or would I be stationed into a 'normal' unit. I've read that for Ranger Officers, they must have worked as an officer and prove their abilities before trying for RASP 2, but I wasn't sure if the same would apply for a person who was already in the Rangers.

Basically what I am asking is, if I'm enlisted in the Rangers, can I do the Green To Gold Program

Thank you,
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Option 40 and Green to Gold?

Post by cams »

One step at a time there hero. Maybe you should actually get an Opt40 contract and make it through RASP before you go having delusions of grandeur about leading these Rangers that have been at war every single day for now 14yrs.

I understand your father is a First Sergeant? Go ask him to smoke the shit out of you until you realize you're just another spoke in the wheel with a long way to go before you're even privileged enough to get smoked by a Senior PFC with 2 combat tours.

It's commendable what you want to do, but humility and a dose of realism will serve you well in your endeavors.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Recruitment Process”